Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor problem unlocking phone

• 19-01-2009 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

I am on Meteor bill-pay and I have cancelled my contract with them as I want to got on to Tesco pay as you go, the problem is that Meteor have just informed me that the phone I bought off of them 12 months ago was not registered by them when I originally picked it up (I transferred my old number at the time), so I can't unlock the phone from them without the original phone number (that I don't have and they didn't register).

How do I get round this? Is their a way of unlocking this phone?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

what type of phone is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

What is the phone?

What is the phone?

snap :P

You beat me too it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭richiepoorman

Thanks for the quick response - It's a Samsung G600

• Advertisement

also if you still have the box the phone came in the number should be on it

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    also if you still have the box the phone came in the number should be on it

Unfortunately don't have the box (probably in the garage with all the other recycling!!)

I am on Meteor bill-pay and I have cancelled my contract with them as I want to got on to Tesco pay as you go, the problem is that Meteor have just informed me that the phone I bought off of them 12 months ago was not registered by them when I originally picked it up (I transferred my old number at the time), so I can't unlock the phone from them without the original phone number (that I don't have and they didn't register).

You could threaten comreg on them. From "Implementing Full
    Mobile Number Portability in Ireland
    ";
    In the case where a handset is SIM-locked, the customer should be free to
    port the number to the recipient operator even if the handset remains locked
    to the old network. However, unless the customer pays to unlock the
    handset he or she will need to obtain a new handset for use on the recipient
    operator’s network.

All they need is the IMEI number.

Thanks again for the reply. I'm going to see them tomorrow, amazingly the same guy who sold me the phone still works there, so I'm gonna have it out with them.

Cheers again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Do they need the phone number??

Anytime i got my phone unlocked all they needed was the IMEI number?

It annoys me how phone companys just dont understand that people arent gonna stay with the same company all the time if there are better deals to be had and situations change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I'm sorry but I'm going to exploit the situation and say haha, this happened me with my 5300, I had spent well over 500 on my number and not the number that came with it, I had registered the number under my name (both had same details) and when I wanted it unlocked they wouldn't, before anyone says you have to use the number that came with it with Meteor you do but with the other networks you'll often get them under someone elses name. Basically I said SCREW YOU(no obsceneties) and got the phone unlocked in Dublin. OP ask Columba R'ad-I'm not sure that he unlocks Samsung but I'd rather give him the 20/30e than Meteor after the stunt! Rant over Sorry!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Legion2008

I'm sorry but what's the problem here .... you're trying to get a phone unlocked that you don't know the original number for. How are Meteor (or any other operator) to know that you didn't originally steal the phone or buy a stolen handset.

I'm sure that Meteor would be in far more trouble with the guards and regulators if they just start unlocking all phones without ensuring that the correct owner of the phone is requesting it.

Legion2008 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but what's the problem here .... you're trying to get a phone unlocked that you don't know the original number for. How are Meteor (or any other operator) to know that you didn't originally steal the phone or buy a stolen handset.
    because it was supposed to be registered on his account when he signed up to bill pay. he has the original sim that came with the phone, it just has his number now instead of the old one
    Legion2008 wrote: »
    I'm sure that Meteor would be in far more trouble with the guards and regulators if they just start unlocking all phones without ensuring that the correct owner of the phone is requesting it.

the gardai have no interest whatsoever in unlocking phones. unblocking possibly but still i don't think they care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

right, 2 possibilities come to mind as a cause of your problem

1) perhaps the contract was set up with a separate sim and not the one that came in the handset pack resulting in no IMEI being registered to the account

2) perhaps there was a problem within the first 28 days with the phone and it was swapped by the store?????? this would result in a different IMEI being on the account than the one you now have

either way, have a chat with someone in the store and get them to update the IMEI on the account (this will need to be done in flagship so you'll need to talk to someone who's been there a good while, they may need to kick it up to tech though as there's very few of us left). proof of purchase of the IMEI you have can easly be gotten form an EPOS record on the till so there really isn't much of a problem

note: all above is based on the assumption that it was bought in a meteor store and not CPW or 3G, if so. . .never mind:o

theteal wrote: »
    note: all above is based on the assumption that it was bought in a meteor store and not CPW or 3G, if so. . .never mind:o

if it was in either of those stores proof of purchase is just as easy to get

if it was in either of those stores proof of purchase is just as easy to get

apologies, i should have been more specific. there'll be no problem getting the pop but absolutely no chance of getting the IMEI updated on site

apologies, i should have been more specific. there'll be no problem getting the pop but absolutely no chance of getting the IMEI updated on site

why not? it's their mistake surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

because it was supposed to be registered on his account when he signed up to bill pay. he has the original sim that came with the phone, it just has his number now instead of the old one

the gardai have no interest whatsoever in unlocking phones. unblocking possibly but still i don't think they care

It's possible, especially in CPW, that you were signed up under a sim card, and sold the phone separate, unlike 3G and Meteor stores where they come together.

I suggest going into a Meteor store, explaining the situation and asking that they register the IMEI to your account. Once that's done, you shouldn't have any issues getting it unlocked.

chrislad wrote: »
    It's possible, especially in CPW, that you were signed up under a sim card, and sold the phone separate, unlike 3G and Meteor stores where they come together.
    now i think of it you're right. it was only the pre pay handsets that had the sims in the boxes, the bill pay ones were separate.
    chrislad wrote: »
    I suggest going into a Meteor store, explaining the situation and asking that they register the IMEI to your account. Once that's done, you shouldn't have any issues getting it unlocked.

this is what i'd do to. i don't see why there'd be no chance of that working :confused:

• Advertisement

why not? it's their mistake surely?

because no staff in CPW or 3G stores have access to flagship

because no staff in CPW or 3G stores have access to flagship

that's true but can he not bring his proof of purchase from cpw to a meteor store and have them do it?

that's true but can he not bring his proof of purchase from cpw to a meteor store and have them do it?

yeah he can, i just said he wouldn't be able to get it done "on site" i.e. in the cpw or 3G store. again i'll stress it aint a biggy to fix, just add the IMEI to the account, ring CC again after it's done, NUC in the bag

yeah he can, i just said he wouldn't be able to get it done "on site" i.e. in the cpw or 3G store. again i'll stress it aint a biggy to fix, just add the IMEI to the account, ring CC again after it's done, NUC in the bag

right so, must have misunderstood you

To cut a long story short - my phone is now unlocked!! Hooray!! No longer tied to Meteor! *does cartwheel of joy*

My phone wasn't registered as a Samsung but as a Motorola (don't ask - the details on the Samsung box wouldn't register on their system so the guy used another phone's details instead), which caused the whole 'this phone is not registered on our system' malarky.

Go the IMEI number and subsequently got the unlocking code (eventually, like getting blood from a stone), but the code wouldn't work. Took the phone back to the shop, had it sent off to Sigma who unlocked the phone first go (sod's law). Got my phone back today and so far so good. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

You only need the IMEI number , it's nothing to do with the phone number , it's to do with the phone

Advertisement