Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden floors on underfloor heating - glue or float?

Options
  • 19-01-2009 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I'm in the process of looking for wooden floors for my new house. I'm hoping for an engineered walnut. I've two questions, firstly I have found one i like but it comes in two thickness's 14mm or 20mm, which is best suited to underfloor heating? Second question is my carpenter says it would be much better if we could glue the boards down, but most of the flooring stores have recommended floating it on a special underlay, again HELP??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!:confused

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Firstly please turn off bold, very hard to read.

Secondly, wrong forum.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

newbuilder wrote: »
    I'm in the process of looking for wooden floors for my new house. I'm hoping for an engineered walnut. I've two questions, firstly I have found one i like but it comes in two thickness's 14mm or 20mm, which is best suited to underfloor heating? Second question is my carpenter says it would be much better if we could glue the boards down, but most of the flooring stores have recommended floating it on a special underlay, again HELP??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!:confused

ok

1 don't glue enginered flooring thinner than 18mm deep as it may de laminate
    2 make sure that your fitter gaurentees the method he uses

if i was fitting i would always float the floor on the special underlay but thats because if i had to replace or fix it undergaurentee its far simpler and quicker

if its glued down and something goes wrong its a very hard job to fix it but if you carpenter is hapy to glue it then there is no reason not to

i'll pm you some spec sheets if you like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

you don't glue down semi solid floors.

At least I have never.

It would be odd to glue down an engineered floor.

There are threads on here about choosing underlay for underfloor heating.

if ya use the search they should come up

Advertisement