Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keeping it a secret for Paddy's Day!

• 19-01-2009 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi All,

My husband and I have started trying to conceive this month. Just the two of us know and want to keep it a secret (for obvious reasons!). It's never usually an issue because I rarely go out. However I have a Paddy's day trip planned with my college friends (whom I see fairly regularly) and I know they'll be suspicious that I'm not drinking. I don't particularly want them assuming I'm pregnant when I might (probably will) be still just ttc. I wouldn't mind hugely if I were pregnant.

I could not go or create some sort of elaborate embarrassing lie (it would have to be embarrassing for them not to start hinting at baby-making, the fiends). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Appleguy

I would just say i'm on a detox. I do these no drinking for a month or two and trying to eat right for a while every couple of months. People don't generally bat an eye lid. Was one paddies day i didn't drink a couple of years ago over detox.

-OR-

If you drive you could arrange that your the designated driver for the others. That way they will thank you in more ways than one and probably not even notice its for anything else than for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

you do know you dont have to abstain from drink when you are just trying, ttc can take a lot longer for some people and you should have to put your life on hold!, if however you choose to abstain for what ever reason, say you are on antibiotics for a kidney infection, or strong painkillers or such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭KittenCaboodle

Yeah, I'm new to this so I was basically just going on the doctor's advice, she told me that I should abstain from alcohol. I see what you mean though, it could be a year or more before anything happens.

I don't want to get blotto either so I may come up with some excuse. The painkillers one could work as they all know my back is dodgy at the moment.

Ta peoples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Antibiotics for a kidney infection.

That way, if you are pregnant (fingers crossed for you!), you can explain the non-drinking with the frequent trips to the loo that early pregnancy brings on.

Good idea!

Maybe I will be pregnant, and if I'm not it won't be for lack of trying ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭sassa

Good idea!

Maybe I will be pregnant, and if I'm not it won't be for lack of trying ;)

lol god love the neighbours! I used the kidney infection excuse when i was early on in pregnancy last january had to go to a 21st. Almost rumbled when i was bought a vodka and coke despite me saying i couldnt drink. so had to try to switch that glass with the one that had just coke ended up spilling the one with just coke all over the person that bought the v&c for me and they bought me another bf loved it he ended up with 2 drinks for every round:). I'd brush up on the technique if i was you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Chasing Cars

The first weekend I had to hide the whole not drinking/smoking thing was my husband's birthday (he knew by the way) and we were out with friends on the Sat night so I pretended that I had been out on the raze the night before and could not face a drink/smoke that night with my friends - thankfully this was not unusual for me as I am never able to do two nights in a row.

Anyway long story short I was playing a blinder no one was even batting an eyelid until I was chatting away to a friend that was three months pregnant and I hadn't spoken to since her good news. As I was talking to her I poured some peanuts in my hand and offered her some as I was about to eat them - next thing she said to me ‘no thank you, I can't eat peanuts because I’m pregnant in case the baby has an allergy’. I just froze with my hand inches away from my mouth and I had to put them back down. As you might imagine she guessed immediately.

I have since found out that peanuts are like caffeine etc - avoid if you can to but not the end of the world if you have one or two

On a side note - If you are only starting the whole process now don't put that much stress on yourself it can be a long road. Remember on a four week cycle two of those weeks are pre-ovulation so you can't get pregnant and assuming you don't drink a stupid amount it’s not the end of the world if you are lucky with your first attempt. If you have come off the pill it can take awhile before you have a regular cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

My o/h told everybody she was being tested for an over active throyid.

Nobody knows what it is. It sounds serious but it generally is not.

and you guessed it, you cannot drink or stay up late!

Wooo!

Read about it but first, They are bound to inter you,

They say ah all is clear turns out I was preg. Shock! :eek::eek::eek:

Turns out I hadn't ovulated by Saturday (still haven't today on day 27) so I was grand. Went on beer so I could get out of rounds, I hate rounds in general. Had 5 beers and a good ole boogy :) Twas fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

5 failed ivf's and now my wife is 14 weeks pregnant as the result of a drunken night on the town;)
    Seriously, there are many times during the whole process when you have to watch yourself and your alcohol intake, but ttc is not neccessarily one of them imo. Doctors tend to prescribe the formulaic advice such as quit the ciggies and the drink any time they get a chance, there are obvious health benefits for such advice of course, but as a doctor friend said to me recently "didn't we all start out as drunken babies"!!
    Good luck and enjoy the fun!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement