Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU MMA CLUB

Options
  • 19-01-2009 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hey all

Just spreading the word on what we've got going on down here in DCU.
    We have settled and are now opening our doors to even more students regardless of college, affiliation, experience level..hell we've even got some lads from the surrounding schools.biggrin.gif So if your curious about this MMA stuff or want to get in some extra training or fitness work then come on down and give us a try. There will be a week of training devoted to revision of last semester training topics taking place in Feb so keep an eye out on the webpage listed below to find out the details.

History
    DCU MMA CLUB (officially known as the Kickboxing & Grappling Club) was started in september of 2008 and is just about to enter its 2nd semester in a few weeks time. The club was started as a way of introducing people to MMA as a sport and as a means of fitness and self defence. The committees goal is to help increase the popularity of MMA in Ireland and provide students with the relevant basic skills to enter into full time training facilities with the basic knowledge required to progress rapidly in both stand up, clinch and ground grappling. Thus far the club has proven to be a great success with over a 100 registered members and active classes averaging between 25-35.

Experience level
    In DCU MMA we have experience levels ranging from World Champion kickboxers and Grappling champions to complete beginners and juniors from the surrounding schools. The classes contain NSC competitors and thai boxers working together and trading knowledge and several coaches who are willing to take you aside and bring you through any technique you may be having trouble with/or missed, in a step by step nature.

What to expect in the coming months?
    Each Hour and a half long class contains an equal mix of stand up and ground work with fitness elements coming from pad work, grappling drills, rolling,sparring and circuit training. We mix up every session and you'll learn something new each class. The coming semester will feature learning to use your legs for effective kicks and knees as well as basic wrestling takedowns and control. This is on top of constant practice of submission techniques and kickboxing.

Here is a video of some of the class hitting mitts in the 4th week
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=4L3qA2N6AO8

Here is an example of the class drilling Mount escapes
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=kjomeZ...eature=related

Price?
    €4 registration
    Its only 3 euro per class or 5 euro for the whole week.

Check us out further for details such as training times etc at

www.bebo.com/DCUMMA

All the best

Oisin
    DCU MMA COMMITTEE
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Isn't it 2 euro now that we've reached the second semester?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭OMCCABE

Cliste wrote: »
    Isn't it 2 euro now that we've reached the second semester?:confused:

I actually have no idea if the registration fee halfs as the year progresses....could very well be the case. I'll look into that :)

Oisin
    www.bebo.com/DCUMMA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

OMCCABE wrote: »
    I actually have no idea if the registration fee halfs as the year progresses....could very well be the case. I'll look into that :)

Oisin
    www.bebo.com/DCUMMA

No problem :D

Looks like the club's going well! Well done :)

Cliste wrote: »
    No problem :D

Looks like the club's going well! Well done :)

All down to the members dedication. Theres a core group of about 20 that have trained week in week out. A good group of people.

Feel free to come down give it a shot anytime. Bring a mate with you and I guarantee you'll catch the bug before the end of the class:D. Thats the great thing about the club, its a sociable group.

Oisin
    www.bebo.com/DCUMMA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

When is second registration day?

• Advertisement

Just turn up on one of the training days with your student number and we can sort it out for you there.

First day back training will be the 2nd (monday) from 5.30-7 in the handball court. I'll post here if that changes. Just keep an eye on the webpage

Oisin
    www.bebo.com/DCUMMA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I'd be interested in something like this for training purposes. Got a few too many piercings, can switch em out for silicone though

Will wrote: »
    I'd be interested in something like this for training purposes. Got a few too many piercings, can switch em out for silicone though

Yep well you know the deal yourself I'm sure. If they get in caught in clothes blah blah...bottom line has always been that I don't let people roll or grapple with any sort of jewlery on for their safety and their partners. I'm sure if you can change them out then it'd be no problem. Come on down give it a shot and I'll let you know if its all good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭cactus jack

why can't we just skip this period of tests & jump straight back to training? really looking forward to getting back into it but i ain't looking forward to seeing how much my cardio has been hammered with the time off. then again i have the april varsties to look forward to again! btw oisin remember that weird armbar i had in the rolling 4 video? was just looking back at the weekends ufc & they showed a clip of your favourite fighter :p jeremy horn finishing the armbar from the same position.

For anyone who wishes to join up with us all you need to bring is a t-shirt, shorts, gumshield, groin guard, class fee and a smile much like this -> :D

If anybody has any reservations and is unsure about starting this type of activity just PM me and I can give you the low down on exactly what too expect.

Oisin
    www.bebo.com/DCUMMA

• Advertisement

why can't we just skip this period of tests & jump straight back to training? really looking forward to getting back into it but i ain't looking forward to seeing how much my cardio has been hammered with the time off. then again i have the april varsties to look forward to again! btw oisin remember that weird armbar i had in the rolling 4 video? was just looking back at the weekends ufc & they showed a clip of your favourite fighter :p jeremy horn finishing the armbar from the same position.

And I told you repeatedly that you could finish from there ya lemon ;). If my MMA memory serves me correctly I think Zelg Galesic finished Taiei Kin with the same armbar..commentators were like WTF just happened :)

Oisin
    www.bebo.com/DCUMMA

i'm a member of the club myself only started in semester 1 & i have to say if you put the training in you'll be surprised how quickly you pick it up and before you know it your putting it together. just check out some of the rolling sessions from the clubs bebo page. one thing that is no harm to do also is if you get a chance watch some mma events as after only a small bit of training you'll be looking at them in a whole new light & seeing how they transitition from differing positions to submissions if it's the ground game. can't speak about stand up do as i'm about as close to lead footed as you can get.

oisin just thought i'd point out that one by horn seens i know how much you 'love' his fights

oisin just thought i'd point out that one by horn seens i know how much you 'love' his fights

Gotta love the Gumby.:rolleyes:

Ok guys and girls.

Firstly for those thinking of joining us that have never trained with us before....come try us out for the first 2 weeks (2/3rd and 9/10th Feb). . If you have wondered is Mixed martial arts is for you?....well theres only one way to find out.

Just got the go ahead from DCU sports centre. Training recommences this monday the 2nd of Feb at 5.30pm in the big handball alley. The first class will be mostly rolling/pad work and we will be taking all questions on any techniques, combinations or anything else so if you've seen a technique during the break that you'd like to learn or have specific questions on any of the techniques we've covered already, let us know and we'll help you out.

The following week on monday and tuesdays class we will be running a revision course on all the techniques we have covered up to this point both in stand up fighting, clinch work and grappling.

Don't miss this.

We will be reteaching all the basics in these 2 classes so bring a pen and paper (not kidding) and write the techniques down. You will be amazed at how much you've actually learned so far and by looking over this piece of paper you'll freshen things in your mind and be more likely to remember them during sparring and rolling. Its a very useful tool.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask by either posting here on the thread or shooting me a PM.

All the best;)

Oisin
    www.bebo.com/DCUMMA

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭figs86

hi oisin,

i can't roll because i'm a gent of the larger persuasion and if i were a video game character i'd have Agility: 0

can i still come to MMA class?

also, instead of a pen and paper can i take notes on my laptop? cheers

are you gonna need my bad camera work during the refresh sessions?

it's gonna be so good to get back into rolling just hope the knee don't act up.

in asking about new techniques you do realise your leaving yourself open to explain a laundry list of moves? should be fun do.

figs, don't know if this helps or not but i'm 16 stone & out of shape & i can still roll. main advice i'd give you is always make sure to tuck your head during rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭figs86

figs, don't know if this helps or not but i'm 16 stone & out of shape & i can still roll. main advice i'd give you is always make sure to tuck your head during rolling.

ha thanks dude i was just joking as i know mr mccabe and am sure hes about to unleash some boards.ie type pwnage on me!

tho i did tear my tendons in my shoulder pretty bad whilst rolling before...

are you gonna need my bad camera work during the refresh sessions?

it's gonna be so good to get back into rolling just hope the knee don't act up.

in asking about new techniques you do realise your leaving yourself open to explain a laundry list of moves? should be fun do.

Yep we'll video everything mate so I'll require your expertise.:D

As for the questions...thats the point. The class is designed to revolve around the basics with a few more advanced moves thrown in at my willynilly discretion. This is short window I'm opening for people who want to know how to do that around the world omoplata?...what are the basics of the rubber guard?..extra setups for the triangle??....basically things we'll never teach as part of the syllabus of the club.

If I have an answer I will give it. If I don't I will point you in the direction of somebody that does.

Oisin

well don't know if i'll have the flexibility with my knee yet but you know i'm gonna be asking about the gogoplata.

• Advertisement

figs86 wrote: »
    hi oisin,

i can't roll because i'm a gent of the larger persuasion and if i were a video game character i'd have Agility: 0

can i still come to MMA class?

also, instead of a pen and paper can i take notes on my laptop? cheers

All I'd have to do in order to teach you how to take the back is put a cup cake in my back pocket :cool:

Statement doesn't hold much weight coming from me I know given my unnatural love of cookies.:D

well don't know if i'll have the flexibility with my knee yet but you know i'm gonna be asking about the gogoplata.

If figs shows up I'l show you how to gogoplata a laptop :D

better be careful oisin he may try & use some wires to trap you!

Ok guys and girls.

Firstly for those thinking of joining us that have never trained with us before....come try us out for the first 2 weeks (2/3rd and 9/10th Feb). . If you have wondered is Mixed martial arts is for you?....well theres only one way to find out.

Just got the go ahead from DCU sports centre. Training recommences this monday the 2nd of Feb at 5.30pm in the big handball alley. The first class will be mostly rolling/pad work and we will be taking all questions on any techniques, combinations or anything else so if you've seen a technique during the break that you'd like to learn or have specific questions on any of the techniques we've covered already, let us know and we'll help you out.

The following week on monday and tuesdays class we will be running a revision course on all the techniques we have covered up to this point both in stand up fighting, clinch work and grappling.

Don't miss this.

We will be reteaching all the basics in these 2 classes so bring a pen and paper (not kidding) and write the techniques down. You will be amazed at how much you've actually learned so far and by looking over this piece of paper you'll freshen things in your mind and be more likely to remember them during sparring and rolling. Its a very useful tool.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask by either posting here on the thread or shooting me a PM.

All the bestwink.gif

Oisin
    www.bebo.com/DCUMMA

better be careful oisin he may try & use some wires to trap you!

Now that would be pwnage of the highest degree

My prediction...Laptop by RNC 1st round. :D

I've never been good with technology.

DCU MMA's revision week takes place this week and is a great chance to get introduced to MMA. Make sure you bring a pen and paper for yourselves as there's gonna be a whole lot of information flying about.:D

Oisin
    www.bebo.com/DCUMMA

Can I bring a friend that isnt in DCU?

Sorry Cabla only got online now...yeah the club is open too all so go right on ahead. He/She would be very welcome

-Oisin

Nice one, thanks man.

• Advertisement
Advertisement