Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Phenom. Any use?

Options
  • 19-01-2009 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭

Bit of a random question but I'll give it a shot:

Has anyone out there got an AMD Phenom quad core? I was just looking for some feedback regarding performance. I've already got an AM2+ socket so it seems like the natural step. I know they eat power though, especially the black edition, and a high end Intel Dual Core is more effective for games [apperently] etc... so I was just curious if you'd recommend buying one? Cheers lads.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Wagon wrote: »

Has anyone out there got an AMD Phenom quad core? I was just looking for some feedback regarding performance. I've already got an AM2+ socket so it seems like the natural step. I know they eat power though, especially the black edition, and a high end Intel Dual Core is more effective for games [apperently] etc... so I was just curious if you'd recommend buying one? Cheers lads.

Phenom 2 are decent enough, fairly equivalent to the Core 2 Quads, but behind the Core i7 still. Don't bother with the older Phenom 1, they're slowed clocked and less efficient, particularly in terms of power usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Spear wrote: »
    Phenom 2 are decent enough, fairly equivalent to the Core 2 Quads, but behind the Core i7 still. Don't bother with the older Phenom 1, they're slowed clocked and less efficient, particularly in terms of power usage.

I noticed the Phenom 1 black used 140 watts so thats why i was worried. There was a picture of a guy smiling as he held it up but I noticed he hadn't put it in his PC and wasn't sure if he would be smiling afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

I got the triple core coz the AMD black use a lot of juice.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/search.aspx?q=amd+8650

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Intel must be worried as they announced a few price cuts in response although not on the i7

On Sunday, Intel instituted broad price cuts on processors, spanning the Core 2 Quad, Core 2 Duo, Pentium dual-core, Celeron, and Xeon product lines.

Cuts were concentrated on quad-core chips like the Q9650 (3.00GHz), reduced 40 percent, to $316 from $530. But Celeron processors received some of the largest reductions. The mobile Celeron 570 (2.00GHz), was slashed 48 percent, to $70 from $134, for example.

Some Xeon processors also received hefty cuts. The price on the X3370 (3.00GHz), for instance, was cut 40 percent to $316 from $530.

The Pentium dual-core E5200 was reduced 24 percent to $64 from $84.

Intel also introduced new processor models such as the Core 2 Duo E7500 (2.93GHz), priced at $133.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

When the AM3 boards come out i wonder if it will help the Phenom 2 catch up on the i7. Some how i just dont think it will happen.

But still if its cheap and works very well you dont need to pay the crazy money intel are charging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

AM3 gives them a 5-10% boost, depending on app, not enough to get near i7. AMD really have to pull something out of the bag with bulldozer (their next core update).

At least they are getting kind of competitive again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

astrofool wrote: »
    AM3 gives them a 5-10% boost, depending on app, not enough to get near i7. AMD really have to pull something out of the bag with bulldozer (their next core update).

At least they are getting kind of competitive again.

Yup, hopefully amd start putting out some impressive kit and give intel a run for their money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

I got the triple core coz the AMD black use a lot of juice.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/search.aspx?q=amd+8650

I've seen them before, they're just quad core's with one of the cores not working. bit weird really. Anyway lads, thanks for the help!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I've seen them before, they're just quad core's with one of the cores not working. bit weird really. Anyway lads, thanks for the help!

42527482.IMG_0428_gray.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

I was just curious if you'd recommend buying one?
    As you have a decent AM2+ mobo, I'd say go for a Phenom II - they dropped prices over the weekend in response to intel's cuts. They are pretty competitive clock-for-clock with the Core 2s.

• Advertisement
Advertisement