Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'I don't want your custom' thread

Options
  • 19-01-2009 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place...

Anyway, me first. Was looking at new wireless broadband options, my current supplier would not move on price so wondered if the cheaper competition would waive some of the installation fee.
    Hi,

I'm a Permanet customer at the moment and am reasonably happy with them, however, as you offer better contention and slightly better prices I was thinking of swapping to yourselves. I have a couple of issues.

1. I am on the Knockanure transmitter with Permanet, can I leave their equipment in place as a backup to your own?
    2. Will you reduce offer me a better rate either for the installation or the first year, as a 'beat the competition' offer. I was thinking that saving €100 for the trouble of switching would be nice.

I was thinking of the business premium package.

Regards,

The response...
    Hi,
    Your best bet is to stick with Permanet as we cannot offer any discounts to you.
    Regards
    KBB

So, Kerry Broadband, you don't want my business, you won't even read my emails properly.

I'll continue to pay Permanet €700 a year, happily.:)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I see nothing wrong with their response, like any company they are in it to make money and lossing 100e (even though install fee appears to be 200e according to website) is alot of money to loose.

You may not like it but thats life, asking eircom for 100e off and see how far you get :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

broadband is not like your local market where you can haggle.

The price is the price. THAT'S IT. no if's or buts.

If you wish to change you do so at your own expense.

giving you a discount on a fixed service would be unfair to their other customers paying for the same service.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm sure they'd love your business OP but if it's not feasible for them then I don't see a problem. They told you they couldn't offer you a discount which appeared to be your sole reason to move from your current provider so they were upfront and honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

hobochris wrote: »
    broadband is not like your local market where you can haggle.

The price is the price. THAT'S IT. no if's or buts.

If you wish to change you do so at your own expense.

giving you a discount on a fixed service would be unfair to their other customers paying for the same service.

Ha! "The price is the price.", they must love to see you coming. Presuming he'd be paying close enough to €700 to Kerry Broadband he's dead right to go after a discount. The people who don't ask for discounts don't get discounts.

Now, fair enough if Kerry BB don't want to/can't extend the discount that's their loss. Seems short sighted to me but I don't know what the margins are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

How exactly were you ripped off OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

You all missed the point.

I wanted to be a KBB customer, was chancing a discount. Was about to sign up online when I thought a mail about the old equipment may be needed, then decided to chance a discount.

They said 'stay where you are' rather than 'sorry, can't offer a discount, how about you join anyway, were really good.'

Personally, if a potential customer tries to call me I see it as a great thing as most of the time you have to go chasing them.

Most of the time being polite and open clinches the deal. If everytime someone asked for a discount I was so curt in my response I wouldn't have many customers.

I agree this is not a ripoff ireland issue, but couldn't see where else to put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

ch750536 wrote: »
    You all missed the point.

I wanted to be a KBB customer, was chancing a discount. Was about to sign up online when I thought a mail about the old equipment may be needed, then decided to chance a discount.

They said 'stay where you are' rather than 'sorry, can't offer a discount, how about you join anyway, were really good.'

Personally, if a potential customer tries to call me I see it as a great thing as most of the time you have to go chasing them.

Most of the time being polite and open clinches the deal. If everytime someone asked for a discount I was so curt in my response I wouldn't have many customers.

I agree this is not a ripoff ireland issue, but couldn't see where else to put it.

I agree with you. if you dont ask for a discount, You won't get a discount.
    Many businesses do knock a few bob off if asked. And even if they cant drop the price they would explain how what ever it is you are looking at buying is good value anyway etc etc.
    Businesses wont stay in business unless they do business.

Turning away customers isnt a smart move in any trade

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Doesn't KBB's coverage stop short of Abbeyfeale?

I get my current service from the same mast. One of the reasons I didn't want the current setup touched.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

"I am on the Knockanure transmitter with Permanet, can I leave their equipment in place as a backup to your own?"

You know that isn't YOUR equipment? It belongs to your ISP.

• Advertisement

Why, I bought and paid for it with my own money. It would be theft if they tried to take it off me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

I moved house recently so I had to cancel my broadband connection.

I was signed up to Irish Broadband.

I never had any problems with them, always had good service.

It was prior to the end of my 12 month contract and I told them I wanted to cancel as I was moving.
    They said no problem.
    This may have been something to do with the fact that I was on a no-limits package which is no longer offered.

But to be honest, I'd have no hassle using them again if they still had a no-limits package.

Only BT offer it now, so I will likely go with them when I get broadband at home again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    But to be honest, I'd have no hassle using them again if they still had a no-limits package.

Only BT offer it now, so I will likely go with them when I get broadband at home again.

Don't know what you mean by "no-limits" but if you are talking about up/down caps then most of Smart's packages are unlimited as are a few of NTL's (and I'm sure some of the others).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Ha! "The price is the price.", they must love to see you coming. Presuming he'd be paying close enough to €700 to Kerry Broadband he's dead right to go after a discount. The people who don't ask for discounts don't get discounts.

Now, fair enough if Kerry BB don't want to/can't extend the discount that's their loss. Seems short sighted to me but I don't know what the margins are like.

They would only see me coming if they had the lowest price for the best service, Its up to the consumer to find the lowest price,granted its in the companies interest to be the lowest but while others are happy to pay the price then it wouldn't be in their interests to drop it for an individual. It is a fixed term price, do you ask for a discount on your car tax? No, because you'd be laughed at.

€700?I assume its Bogger-Band? if he's stupid enough to pay that let him, don't see why another company would want to pick up the slack for him being silly enough to pay that in the first place.

hobochris wrote: »
    €700?I assume its Bogger-Band? if he's stupid enough to pay that let him, don't see why another company would want to pick up the slack for him being silly enough to pay that in the first place.

Easy there mate, I have to have wireless as phone lines are awful.
    Permanets Offering:
    permanet.jpg

Kerry BB offering: (Add VAT on to the prices)
    KBB.jpg

I need low contention as I use VOIP & video conferencing a lot.

I have no issue at all with them saying no to my discount request, that is perfectly fine.

But to tell me they don't want my custom, that is insane.

Here is how I would have replied.
    Dear Ch750536,

We would be glad to have you as a new customer, thanks for getting in touch. You can leave your old kit in place, we won't need to touch this. We can't offer you a discount though as we think this would be unfair to the other customers, however, I hope you see that we do offer an excellent service at a more than competitive price.

I can process your order immediately if you mail me your account details or just give me a call on 068 XXXXX.

If I can be of any further assistance just get in touch and I'll see what I can do.

Regards,

XXX.

Rather than

'Your best bet is to stick with Permanet as we cannot offer any discounts to you.'

Can you all see the point I am making now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Have heard alot of bad things about KBB. Hearsay I know, but most would leave the impression that it's basically one dude who figured "jaysus, there's money in this broadband lark" but then bit off way more than he could chew starting in an area where broadband is not provided (may have changed since) be anyone else, least of all eircom.

If you were closer to Tralee I'd recommend RealBroadband but I know they have fairly limited range. Cracking speed though. You could get a 9mb uncontented connection for a decent price.

Advertisement