Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who to ring re illegal dumping/clean-up

Options
  • 19-01-2009 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭

Hi, does anyone know if there is a specific 'dept' or number to ring at (I am assuming) City Council re illegal dumping?

The Council came and did a small clean-up on my road before Christmas and didn't *touch* this one section of lane at the back of the houses.
    It has debris, and just attracts more. I go out there and pick up small rubbish all the time, but now over Christmas, some a**holes have just dumped a pile of stuff and it is a health hazard.
    It is an access lane for 2 houses, and my next door landlord doesn't give a hoot, as he rents to tenants that don't care either. The rubbish is actually outside his back gate.
    I have a big hedge, so don't see it pile up, but I really think it will draw rats soon if it hasn't already. There is a good chance a lot of it is coming from an estate behind over the wall, wonder if the council could put a grid on the lane wall?

Who is the best person to ring? Anyone have similar experiences?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

You best bet is the local authority for the area, its the environment section you need. See below Galway city councils website for example, i would suggest contacting the equivalent in your local authority

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/Environment/Litter/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭swimgal08

Had a similar problem myself your best bet is to get in touch with

Galway City council-Environment
    You should call the Environment Helpline 091 536595
    9.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/Environment/

Also here is the Environmental complaint form:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Appreciate it :)
    It might be a threefold thing.. Cleaning it up, a deterrent and policing it somehow.

I may actually cut my hedge this year, so will have to see it:p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

camera, motion activated, maybe some sort of night-vision or light enhancement, record to a PC or laptop.

At least you could get an idea where it's coming from.

Ooh spyin'! Deadly! :)

Unfortunately (or fortunately) there's a massive hedge blocking the view from the back windows. If you're standing in the garden, you can see through the neighbours' gaff and their ugly wire fence, out to the pile of c*ap.

I think it is more than one offender. When it looks like a dump, people will dump. The current neighbours don't give a c*ap. I rang the Council and they said they'd send someone round..we'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭swimgal08

inisboffin wrote: »
    Ooh spyin'! Deadly! :)

Unfortunately (or fortunately) there's a massive hedge blocking the view from the back windows. If you're standing in the garden, you can see through the neighbours' gaff and their ugly wire fence, out to the pile of c*ap.

I think it is more than one offender. When it looks like a dump, people will dump. The current neighbours don't give a c*ap. I rang the Council and they said they'd send someone round..we'll see.

take a picture of it and send it to the council :eek:

I'll give them a week as they said they'd come out.

Update:
    No Council - the people I spoke to were very helpful, but no warden showed up. :( I started taking the small bits away myself, reluctantly:mad:
    Today however I look out just in time to see a bag of *something* hurtling down from the sky! It caught in the hedge. A bag of entrails. Complete with blood and ripped bag. How lovely:mad::mad:

I can't pinpoint the exact house it came from, but it deffo came over the wall.
    Rang the Council and was *assured* the would get a warden out.:rolleyes:

The angle is wrong to put a camera anywhere. I am at the end of my tether for this. Don't know what exactly the Council can do, apart from removing the existing large stuff? If it's people fecking it over a high wall, a no dumping sign is going to do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

I've sent a good few notices of dumping out here in Menlo to communitywardens@galwaycity.ie and sometimes they act on them, sometimes they don't (just probably getting too many of them!). There's still a good bit of dumped stuff on the river side of the Moneen as you drive into Menlo which they never seem to be interested in cleaning up (the crap is best viewed from a bike ;[ )...

oh, i'd kneecap the ignorant pr!@ks if i'd half a chance (the dumpers that is, not the dedicated staff in the council!)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Oh Jesus, entrails? I don't even want to think about the type of vermin that's going to attract.

Savages.

• Advertisement

Ya, they are now in my bin after a horrible horrible incident with a stick and a rubbish bag:mad::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I know its a long shot because our great Galway journalists will be out doing some other browsing the internet reporting for stories but it could be worth getting onto a local paper about it. A few photos in the papers could put the skids under the council to get someone out to clean it up.

s_carnage wrote: »
    I know its a long shot because our great Galway journalists will be out doing some other browsing the internet reporting for stories but it could be worth getting onto a local paper about it. A few photos in the papers could put the skids under the council to get someone out to clean it up.

Yeah, it may come to that. At the mo, I am removing bits as I can, but I'm paying for other people's rubbish, and that's making me veeerry cranky.
    I'm giving the council another few days, then time to crank it up a notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

s_carnage wrote: »

ooooh bonus points for a (3 degrees crooked) photo of inisboffin with his arms crossed looking pissed off next to the article! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

first thing you do is stop cleaning up other peoples mess.
    next do take photos and do send them to all the local newspaper.
    do name and shame the estate the rubbish is coming from.
    next ring up your local councillor/td and get them earning their living for a change. there is a local election coming up soon so they will be more than glad to have their name in the papers complaining about this.
    make as much noise about this as possible.
    once again, as hard as it will be to do please stop cleaning up after these people. Best of luck! as a galwegian i am ashamed of your plight!:(

Ya. Sadly have family illness going on, so not much fight in me at the mo. I think you're right, I need to take those steps. In a week or two when things are better for me I am ON it.
    Had to take the entrails off my hedge though, there are just some things worse than my stubbornness! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 geeniebops

Deffo call your local councillor. Ring the council and they will give you the phone number and make them earn their votes. I believe the council is struggling having lost so many staff due to cuts so you'll have the edge with a councillor on your side. Best of luck, I HATE dumping, so filthy and ignorant :mad:

Advertisement