Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mobile Phone Use Permitted/Not Permitted Signs On Aircraft

• 19-01-2009 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭

I'm sure there is already a thread somewhere that I could post this in but I've tried searching and not had any look finding it, sorry.

Anyhow.... when I was flying from Manchester to Dublin with Ryanair on Sunday evening I noticed that they had signs (kind of like the seatbelt signs) that had a light for 'Mobile Phone Use Not Allowed' and another light for 'Mobile Phone Use Allowed'. The signs weren't operational during my flight - because you can't yet use phones mid-flight.

I presume these signs are being installed in anticipation for phone usage being permitted mid-flight. Any else notice these on flights with Ryanair or other airlines? Any anyone know when phone use will be allowed an these signs will become operational?

Thanks,
    Kev

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Havent seen them, but were they any chance where the smoking/non-smoking signs would have been? Bout time they found something to put there instead. Just a pity its a mobile phone sign!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Yeah saw this sign on the Dublin-Paris Beauvea flight with Ryanair at the end of the december

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I think BMI are trialing their service very soon, if not already. They will be doing data/sms only thankfully, not voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

noblestee wrote: »
    Havent seen them, but were they any chance where the smoking/non-smoking signs would have been? Bout time they found something to put there instead. Just a pity its a mobile phone sign!

No they weren't where the smoking signs would have been. They were hanging from the roof in the aisle (similar in size to the exit signs which hang from the roof near the overwing exits). The smoking signs are still there.
    I think BMI are trialing their service very soon, if not already. They will be doing data/sms only thankfully, not voice.

Indeed! Would be pretty annoying having to sit beside someone yapping non-stop..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

You can use your phone onboard some flights.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Stevek101 wrote: »
    You can use your phone onboard some flights.
    FR are introducing a limited mobile phone service on their fleet this year. Initially it will opnly be on a handful of specific aircraft that have the cell equipment installed. The plan is to install it on the entire fleet within the next 1-2 years.
    Currrently you cannot use your mobile phone on any flgihts in/out of Ireland. Think some carriers in Mid-East may allow them at the moment,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Oh Dear.

Vision of a quiet cabin at 31,000 then suddenly:

HELLO? HEEELLLOOOOOOO? YEAH IM ON THE PLANE. YEAH ITS BRILLIANT. YEAH YEAH. SALES WERE UP 20% THIS QUARTER. YEAH. HELLO? YEAH. IM ON THE PLANE. CAN YOU HEAR ME? Etc :)

dom-joly-phone.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

BA passengers will be able to use their mobile phones and other devices to stay in touch throughout a flight under plans unveiled today (January 23).
    The airline will introduce text and email services for customers on its new all-business class route from London City airport to New York’s JFK airport later this year.
    Passengers will also be able to access the internet and send emails from laptops fitted with GSM data cards.

Voice calls will not initially be permitted, but may be allowed in the future subject to customer demand and feedback.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Foggy43 wrote: »
    ..........The airline will introduce text and email services for customers on its new all-business class route from London City airport to New York’s JFK airport later this year.
    Passengers will also be able to access the internet and send emails from laptops fitted with GSM data cards...........
    Perfect facility for this route,the business pax will love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Ryanair have plans in place for this for a few years now. they will charge standard rates, basically set up as their own mobile phone network which ul be roaming through,

• Advertisement
Advertisement