Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chicken,chorizo,haricot beans...

• 19-01-2009 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi all,

So in light of it being the most depressing day of the year, I've decided to try to cheer myself up by making a chicken, chorizo and bean stew.

So, the ingredients I have are chicken fillets, chorizo (assuming Dunnes have some on the way home!) and two cans of haricot beans.

What I was going to do is fry the chicken with some onion, salt, pepper and garlic for a few minutes, then add the chorizo, a tin of haricot beans, a tin of tomatoes (probably two tins of each, depending on how many people I'm feeding tonight). Maybe throw in a glass of red wine, and some thyme (?), maybe some cayenne pepper.

Then leave it for about 15 minutes and in the mean time, boil some potatoes til they nearly done and chuck them into the mix.

Leave it all stew for another 20 minutes and done!

What do you guys think? I've literally just made the "recipe" up in my head, so any comments or suggestions would be very welcome, particularly re the spices I should put in.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'd add some tomato puree and maybe a couple of bay leaves. Some fresh basil would be nice at the end but it may not need it. A chilli would obviously add heat if you wanted to either. Just some ideas..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Hey - I usually do a chorizo & butterbean stew. It's the ultimate in comfort food alright!

Firstly I'd fry the chorizo (you won't need oil) over a low heat. I wouldn't add any extra salt, it's cured already. Then I add onion & garlic. When soft add in tin tomatoes, tomato puree and smoked paprika. Let bubble away for as long as you want - then about 15 mins before serving put in can of rinsed & drained butter beans (or haricot beans) Meanwhile I roast cubed spuds with salt & olive oil. And make a garlicy mayo/yogurt.
    Pile spuds in bowl, cover with stew & top with garlicy goo :)

If you were going to add in chicken here - I'd add it in after the chorizo has liberated some of its oil. And wait until that is cooked then add onions and carry on as normal.

If I'm adding extra herbs, I'd put in rosemary.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Wink

Brilliant suggestions!

I was thinking about throwing some chillis in, might blow away some of the january cobwebs.

And roast potatoes sounds great, I was kinda modelling the whole recipe on some tapas I had a few weekends ago. We had chicken/chorizo with patatas bravas - they were really great together.

The more I think about it, the better it sounds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Oh now that sounds very tasty!

I'll be around at 8! :D

They're my take on the patatas bravas. I'm just too lazy to fry them properly!
    So I pre-cook in the microwave. Put in a dish in the oven to pre-heat. Toss them in olive oil & rock salt and then lash them in on a high heat. I give them a good shake every so often so they turn around and get nice and crispy.

The smoked paprika I use (Tesco own brand, and it's the best I've bought here) is nice and spicy. Comes in the ingredients section - in a clear plastic tube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I posted this way back but it is a good recipe. It does have chickpeas instead of haricots but maybe haricots would work too?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055334184&highlight=spinach

olaola, how long do you put the spuds in the microwave for? and do you put them in water?

CJH, I was actually thinking that the stew was a bit veggie-lite, so spinach could be perfect! I spose I'd just throw it in at the last minute for a few minutes, so it would still actually taste like spinach and wouldn't totally disintegrate?

And Gigabyte, you'd be more than welcome, but if there's any left by 8 I'll be disappointed!

Wink wrote: »
    olaola, how long do you put the spuds in the microwave for? and do you put them in water?

For two people, I just lash them in a bowl for about 5-6 mins. Don't bother with water myself. Until they are about 3/4s cooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

seriously: chicken, chorizo and beans, obviously with the unmissable spuds.

It sounds inedible.

It sounds inedible.

Surely you could add something a little more constructive in the way of criticism? Posters generally love to help each other out around these parts, I'd love to see that spirit continue, it's what I love about the forum. Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

Surely you could add something a little more constructive in the way of criticism? Posters generally love to help each other out around these parts, I'd love to see that spirit continue, it's what I love about the forum. Thanks :)

I know, I know :D
    I try to contribute each time I post but in this case the poster asked "what do you think?" and I gave my opinions. I think that adding spices to that base of ingredients won't add any value. I think that the best you can get is from simple ingredients combined together with a 'logic', that 'logic' obviously depends on your taste.

It sounds inedible.

Charming :rolleyes:

Anyway, just thought I'd pop in and say that the stew was really great, and really easy to make, and went down very well with everyone who had some, thanks for all your suggestions!

Glad to hear you all enjoyed it.

Advertisement