Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good projects for vb.net

Options
  • 19-01-2009 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

any good ideas for a project to buld up my skills
    im still only begining so something like a game or something any ideas

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

How about a msn messenger type project. teach you gui. server end sockets, encryption. web based client. has it all. combine msn messenger and meebo.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

web based sucks though. and so does web programming

+1 for learning sockets

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Web based is kinda neccessary these days. work with web services and the like are a bonus for most ppl.

adding a gui to it is just to give you a feel for windows forms. the beef of the project is in the communications and encryption. adding the web component is just to demonstrate how two different enter points can be used against the same backend. as long as you have designed the modules correctly.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

towel401 wrote: »
    web based sucks though. and so does web programming

I'd strongly disagree with you there :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Idgeitman

Do something you never did before, and you know you can't do. It's a nice way to throw yourself in the deep end then you will not try and make something around what you already know, pushing you to learn more.

Even a simple say stock control system running from a simple database will show you alot if you plan to do it right, like a customer would expect.

~ Idgeitman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

You could develop a game using vb.net using Silverlight 2. You could hook it up to a database with a webservice to store stats/high scores, and present these in a gridview in an aspx page.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

The best thing is some program you think you will use yourself. Games are not easy to make and you can get bogged down in doing the non-programming tasks (graphics, level design etc.) so I don't think it's a good place to start.

I'd try and make some small utility-type program that you have a good chance of completing. One I was thinking of writing recently myself was a minimalist twitter client that worked from the windows tray. Like twitterfox, except it can be run outside firefox. This is something I want to use as there's no twitter client I know of that works exactly like this.

It's much harder to finish programs than to start them, and having something you actually want to use yourself is important in giving you that motivation to finish it. If you ever find yourself saying "I wish there was a program that did X....", that's the one to write.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Idgeitman

padraig_f wrote: »
    and having something you actually want to use yourself is important in giving you that motivation to finish it.

True ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Get hold of Live Mesh and do a cloud computing project using Mobile (windows Mobile emulator), PC and web site

Get daring and use Windows Azure to host the whole thing

Just an idea ... currently playing with it at the moment anyways myself

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ajc100

I done a Golf handicap Scoring system for my project. Gives you GUI and database practice.
    Also done a Lift simulation, good practice with Loops and Threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

How about something that lets you share code between computers using live mesh? It wouldn't have to have check in/out functionality but allow you to sync a project accross two computers. Like my pc and my laptop for instance :)

Advertisement