Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Tramore

Options
  • 19-01-2009 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

I'm doing a study on Broadband availability in Tramore.

Is anybody having problems getting connected to Broadband in Tramore, or with crappy download speeds when you do get Broadband?

Thanks,

Stan:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Shouldnt be a problem in Tramore since the estates have new telephone lines rather then older estates which may have problems with line quality. Have had a few problems over the years but its always been a fault on the ISPs end.

Based on my experience supporting people with broadband issues its mostly an issue with the ISP. The problem lies when you go outside the Tramore area towards places like Fenor and Bunmhaon the quality goes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

My biggest problem is not being able to get wireless broadband in Tramore. This means I'm forced to pay line rental and phone charges which I don't need.

Regarding download speeds, I am with BT and have been getting very poor download speeds during the evening (25kbps on a 3MB line) for the last few months. Though from reading a few threads in the Broadband forum, it could be a nationwide problem with BT.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

My biggest problem is not being able to get wireless broadband in Tramore. This means I'm forced to pay line rental and phone charges which I don't need.

Wireless is never a good option really. There are some providers that offer it here (or at least did a few months ago). These are smaller companys who usually place signs around main roads to let people know. Personally I think the more hard wired broadband is more reliable and faster but fibre lines would be a lot better.
    Regarding download speeds, I am with BT and have been getting very poor download speeds during the evening (25kbps on a 3MB line) for the last few months. Though from reading a few threads in the Broadband forum, it could be a nationwide problem with BT.

Jaysus that is slow. There are a number of ways of seeing if its a local issue but as you said its been reported outside of Tramore so probably a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

Sully wrote: »
    Wireless is never a good option really. There are some providers that offer it here (or at least did a few months ago). These are smaller companys who usually place signs around main roads to let people know. Personally I think the more hard wired broadband is more reliable and faster but fibre lines would be a lot better.

There is no problem with wireless broadband Sully if it set up and run right. Might wanna check out http://www.ctmsite.com/ they offer wireless broadband in Tramore and Fenor, Islandtarsney, Ballyscanlon, Killfarressy, Carrigaventry, Boatstrand, Newtown & Annestown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 FastGuy

The page ctm isn't seems to works propally ... maybe that's my browser :D

Try www.alphawave.ie they seems to have service in this area Also I www.premierbroadband.net have nice map coverage chcek there :)
    Chears

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i,ve got vodafone wireless bband and must say its crap where i live in tramore only get one bar and two if i lucky at times been on to them loads of times bout it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 deise girlie

We are living in Tramore heights area in an old estate and have Eircom. Top package but well worth it, no problems with speeds etc. I know its a little more expensive than other suppliers but you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

FastGuy wrote: »
    The page ctm isn't seems to works propally ... maybe that's my browser :D

Try www.alphawave.ie they seems to have service in this area Also I www.premierbroadband.net have nice map coverage chcek there :)
    Chears
    Tried the CTM site too and it doesn't work in Firefox or IE. If they can't get their site to work I would worry about their ability to provide wireless!!!!!

Using UTV - Very happy with their service - have had very little downtime in four years!!!!

scout353 wrote: »
    Using UTV - Very happy with their service - have had very little downtime in four years!!!!

UTV has been plagued with problems in the last year never mind in the last four! Its effected a lot of people and their services have improved but I would be very surprised if you weren't affected much in four years especially in recent months!

I'm aware Digiweb are also available in Tramore Heights and in terms of you get what you pay for - no company should hold a monopoly that causes other providers to have problems operating (look at Smart for example). You shouldn't have to pay high prices for internet either.

The whole 3 Broadband scheme is most amusing. The minister asked on Boards for the advice on how things can be improved and awards it to 3. Of all companies! Its not even fixed line broadband either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

UTV has been plagued with problems in the last year never mind in the last four! Its effected a lot of people and their services have improved but I would be very surprised if you weren't affected much in four years especially in recent months!

Was originally with Eircom who recommended ISDN as I was building a house on the outskirts or Tramore in 2003 and they told me there would be no broadband in Tramore for at least 18 months! We installed ISDN and weeks after moving in in Feb 2004 I discovered that broadband was available. I changed to their free trial in order to get BB but as soon as possible moved to UTV who were the best at the time for price and download cap!

I would say that I have spoken to Tech Support no more than 3 times since joining them - have had one major outage ( a huge problem across the country at the time) and while the speeds have been slow on a rare few occasions I have to say that UTV have been a good service provider in my case!

BTW I am still registered with Smart Telecom for their service but I guess we will never see it out here :(
    The whole 3 Broadband scheme is most amusing. The minister asked on Boards for the advice on how things can be improved and awards it to 3. Of all companies! Its not even fixed line broadband either.

Have to agree there - judging by the number of pages in the thread on the Broadband forum I cannot understand how 3 could have won that contract!!!

Coverage with 3, O2 and Vodafone's mobile service is patchy at best around here, I couldn't imagine more rural areas being well served by 3!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭SteJay

I availed of the student o2 broadband offer yesterday and used it on my pc down in riverstown, the results were shocking, was supposed to be 7.2mbps but I was getting around 200kbps download and 100kbps upload.It will be going back to the shop fairly promptly!

I was thinking of trying the 3 one next see if thats any better, I need a wireless one so I can tell eircom where to stick their line rental.Dont fancy paying installation fees of a few hundred either from CPM etc.

SteJay wrote: »
    I availed of the student o2 broadband offer yesterday and used it on my pc down in riverstown, the results were shocking, was supposed to be 7.2mbps but I was getting around 200kbps download and 100kbps upload.It will be going back to the shop fairly promptly!

I was thinking of trying the 3 one next see if thats any better, I need a wireless one so I can tell eircom where to stick their line rental.Dont fancy paying installation fees of a few hundred either from CPM etc.

The cause of the poor speed is the amount of people using it and the time. There wouldn't be a huge difference between any of the networks offering it. There are probably more decent wireless providers out there if you wont get broadband through the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 FastGuy

Yep that what you said sullly is simplest true. Chears

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Wireless is never a good option really. There are some providers that offer it here (or at least did a few months ago).

Wireless done properly can be pretty decent. Digiwebs Metro product is supposed to be excellent, and while available in Waterford, isn't in Tramore. I contacted them a couple of years back to see about getting it, as I'd dearly love to not pay line rental, and they'd tried a line of sight test at one of the schools, but couldn't get a signal.

I've got BT, and down on Queen St where we normally live, it's very reliable. We're up in Elm Park at the moment, as we're in the middle of renovations, and the speed can drop considerably there in the evenings due to contention, which would make sense as there'd be a lot more young families up in elm Park than in Queen St.

No experience of any of the 3G providers in Tramore, though I wouldn't really consider them as broadband unless I really had no other option

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

Sorry for dragging up an old thread here. Wondering has anyone found any decent Broadband Providers out to the west of Tramore. I have a friend looking for something for a while.

Just to note i wouldnt even Bother mentioning CTM computers or networks , in my opinion it is the most incompetant company i have ever delt with in the business. And has more promises than anyone which seem to be more lies or pipe dreams than anyone else. Either way,id Steer well clear.

I find that 3broadband is ok in certain parts of the town, as is o2, yet even up by the caravan park in west town Vodafones 3g network is poor, Which is strange considering they have a 3g broadcasting mast Built into the Chimney in Rocketts pub.

anyway, any ideas much appreciated

Advertisement