Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you been to India???

• 19-01-2009 4:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm planning on traveling to India for 3 to 4 weeks in around October/November time. I'm just looking for suggestions on places to go.
    My rough plan is to go to Delhi, Jaipur, Agra, Varanasi and then Nepal and I'd say back to Delhi to get home then.
    Obviously I plan on doing the main tourist things but I want to really try and experience it all so if anyone has any suggestions for things they've done that they loved and really think I should check out I'd really appreciate it.
    I'm big in to historical sites so bring on those suggestions and also yoga... I'm on the lookout for a good retreat for a few days yoga/meditation
    I'm also mad to hang out with some elephants so any wildlife parks etc would be good.
    If you've got suggestions for nice places to stay bring them on as well.
    Of course I'm checking out all the travel guides and sites but I thought it might nice to get some firsthand suggestions from people who've been there.
    Oh yea, I'm traveling on my own so any tips on that would be nice too :)

Thanks so much.
    x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Dunno India is such a huge place and 3/4 weeks will really fly there. A few years back I did the Delhi-Agra-Jaipur-Delhi triangle and then headed up north to Kashmir. Stopped off in McLeod Ganj ( where the Dalai Lama lives ) and had an audience with him then onto Manali, Leh over to Srinagar in Kashmir and then a cheap flight back to Delhi. All that took 5 weeks but I could have done it in 4.
    Plenty of yoga places up north, especially Manali and McLeod Ganj. Dont have recommendations though as I dont go for that sort of thing.
    Preferred Nepal to India tho', people there are a lot more laid back and it is generally much less hassle. That said unless you are into trekking or rafting then Nepal doesn't hold much for you to see.
    It has got Royal Chitwan National Park which has loads of elephants and rhinos and a few elusive tigers ( they are rarely seen so dont go expecting to see them ). India too must have a few places where you can see and ride elephants but I didnt come across them.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

Book your bus/train out of Delhi for a time as close to your flight as possible, it's a horrible city, and not a nice place to start your trip. Didn't go up North, but did Jaipur/Agra/Varanassi 3 months ago, and you'll enjoy it, just prepared for some hard work, as some of the people are intense, if you are prepared to take a step back, you'll enjoy it even more.

I think most of the National parks are down south, but am not too sure, that's just where I went to them. Your other option is to go to Rajasthan, and ride some camels? Didn't do that myself either, but I've heard great reports, and regret not going now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

We did a camel safari from Jaisalmer and I have to say it was one of the best things we did in India. We did a two night one and tbh that was about as much as either of us could take. Camels are really uncomfortable to ride! Sleeping out under the stars is great though.

A lot of people seems to take in Nepal as just another stop in their "india" trip but I really think it deserves a month to itself. Also, the amount of time involved in crossing the border overland would be just sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I spent some time in Kolkata and travelled up to west Nepal through Darjeeling. I would have to agree with the previous poster in that Nepal is probably worth a trip in itself. It's very different to India. My experience, and this depends where you travel of course, was India was amazing, busy, colourful, vibrant, dirty, people everywhere. Nepal was more rural, simple and chilled out. I'd save Nepal till the end because travelling in India on your own is hard work!

You should watch 'slumdog millionaire' to get an idea of an Indian city before you go. Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ibbie

Hi
    I spent 5 wks in India last year- absolutely LOVED it!! Didn't spend long in Delhi got the first available train and headed north up to Hardiwar and then on to Rishikesh- good place for yoga/ ashrams that you can stay in (much cheaper)/ white-water rafting down the Ganga a must! Other cities i liked and would advise are Pushkar (7th Heaven best acc in India) / Jodhpur really nice and chilled atmosphere although beware of camel safari's they hurt! Jaipur is nice but beware of the rip-off merchants, Pearl Palace hotel is the best place to stay. Agra i found to be the worst city we went to really seedy and threatening vibe from it especially at the train stations and we only spent a day there! indiamike.com- really useful web for hints on trave / trains...

• Advertisement
Advertisement