Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections in Kerry 2009

Options
  • 19-01-2009 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

Lets have a thread dedicated to the Local Elections due to be held on June 5th 2009.

What candidates have declared their intention to run and for what parties?
    Will their be much movement in the chambers in the towns as regards party numbers I wonder.

All opinions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Will their be much movement in the chambers in the towns as regards party numbers I wonder.
    Great idea - I'd say that FF are going to get a hammering in this election, but probably not seeing that it's only the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,053 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

dh0661 wrote: »
    Great idea - I'd say that FF are going to get a hammering in this election, but probably not seeing that it's only the locals.

Literally when they knock on my door. I've just bought one in the sales and am eager to try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Terry O'Brien will be running for Labour again. He did well in the last locals and had a good stab at the National elections but the M&S issue cost him a lot of votes. Still polled very well for a first timer (although he is sticking to local politics from now on).

BTW, he is a good friend of mine before anyone asks.

careca wrote: »
    Terry O'Brien will be running for Labour again. He did well in the last locals and had a good stab at the National elections but the M&S issue cost him a lot of votes. Still polled very well for a first timer (although he is sticking to local politics from now on).

BTW, he is a good friend of mine before anyone asks.

The M&S issue will cost a lot of votes for all of those who were arrogant enough to think that they could get away with messing M&S around, and deservedly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

They all spout much the same sweet chat when it comes to election time,then you hear f**k all the rest of the year.:rolleyes:

In my opinion the whole political set up in this country is archaic and out of date.

Too many snouts in the same trough.

• Advertisement

Just saying on another forum that now is the time for a new party to be formed. As one fellow said, if some business men, doctors, lawyers, etc got together and had honestly and integrity as their mantra, they could sweep the boards at upcoming elections.

So there ye go lads, get it started, don't just give out about it :D

Just saying on another forum that now is the time for a new party to be formed. As one fellow said, if some business men, doctors, lawyers, etc got together and had honestly and integrity as their mantra, they could sweep the boards at upcoming elections.

I think all of the parties probably started out "honest and true" and had a plan for the benefit of the country, but over the years they've all been digging themselves into a big hole.

As people here don't seem to like "change", the same old useless politicians get voted in time after time, or their sons, daughters or grandchildren. Thinking of 1 FF and 1 FG TD in this neck of the woods, I don't have a clue what they do to earn their crust apart from standing on a lorry trailer on St Patrick's Day to wave to their subjects.

What would we do for a good moan if they ever got anything right?

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I think all of the parties probably started out "honest and true" and had a plan for the benefit of the country, but over the years they've all been digging themselves into a big hole.

As people here don't seem to like "change", the same old useless politicians get voted in time after time, or their sons, daughters or grandchildren. Thinking of 1 FF and 1 FG TD in this neck of the woods, I don't have a clue what they do to earn their crust apart from standing on a lorry trailer on St Patrick's Day to wave to their subjects.

What would we do for a good moan if they ever got anything right?

Very true. Like there will always be a FF seat in North Kerry, regardless of how bad the candidate. Saying that, the current holder of that seat is supposed to be great on the ground in his own area. All politics is local and all that crap.

Very true. Like there will always be a FF seat in North Kerry, regardless of how bad the candidate. Saying that, the current holder of that seat is supposed to be great on the ground in his own area. All politics is local and all that crap.

That's probably why I haven't clapped eyes on him since he first got the seat, in the same way that the FG guy has been abducted by aliens and won't make an appearance until they wheel him out on 17th March. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

That's probably why I haven't clapped eyes on him since he first got the seat, in the same way that the FG guy has been abducted by aliens and won't make an appearance until they wheel him out on 17th March. :rolleyes:
    Point proven...if they did the job for a regular wage would they be as quick to jump on the bandwagon.
    I doubt it.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

What you're describing there is exactly what constituted the typical British and Irish local council 50 years ago - successful local pillars of the community who had a conscientious need to give something back.
    But that was then, and this is now. :(

Oliverdog wrote: »
    What you're describing there is exactly what constituted the typical British and Irish local council 50 years ago - successful local pillars of the community who had a conscientious need to give something back.
    But that was then, and this is now. :(

Yes, when some of them didn't even bother claiming expenses. Now, getting the expenses sorted is the first item on the agenda. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Will all the below get re-elected or is there any fresh blood running?

http://www.kerrycoco.ie/Councillors/getcllrvb3.asp?idmap=2

I hear alot of good things said about Anne McEllistrim despite the party.

Just checked the current state of play
    11 FF
    8 FG
    3 Independents
    2 Lab
    2 SF
    1 South Kerry Independent Alliance

If the candidates are there FG should be able to come away with most seats in 2009. Labour should be able to double from 2 to 4. Sinn Fein will hold own and maybe increase one. I can see the Independents and FF being the biggest losers.

Prediction 2009
    10 FG
    8 FF
    4 Lab
    3 SF
    2 Independents

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I can't seem to locate the names of the declared candidates for FF or FG in Kerry yet ... Would anyone have a link to them? , well that is, if their are any declared to date

from www.radiokerry.ie/news

" 26 Jan 2009
    Kerry Fianna Fáil hopefuls to be interviewed

Interviews are taking place this week to finalise the candidates who'll run for Fianna Fail in this summer's local elections. Candidates hoping to run in the Listowel and Tralee electoral areas, as well as Listowel Town Council, will be interviewed by a panel from the Fianna Fail national executive over the next two days. These interviews will be held in Tralee, while interviews for candidates hoping to run in the Killarney Electoral Area, will be held in Limerick on Thursday. A number of candidates have already been selected, including Breandan Fitzgerald and sitting council Michael O'Shea, who were chosen on Friday night as candidates for the Dingle Electoral Area. A Fianna Fail spokesman told Radio Kerry News that the full team of councilors would be in place by the end of this week. This is the first time that Fianna Fail has opted to hold interviews to select local election candidates. "

Think the interviews are an interesting tactic to use by Fianna Fail this time round

A polygraph would be ideal - so that members of the public can ask them pertinent questions.

from www.radiokerry.ie/news

" 26 Jan 2009
    Kerry Fianna Fáil hopefuls to be interviewed

Interviews are taking place this week to finalise the candidates who'll run for Fianna Fail in this summer's local elections. Candidates hoping to run in the Listowel and Tralee electoral areas, as well as Listowel Town Council, will be interviewed by a panel from the Fianna Fail national executive over the next two days. These interviews will be held in Tralee, while interviews for candidates hoping to run in the Killarney Electoral Area, will be held in Limerick on Thursday. A number of candidates have already been selected, including Breandan Fitzgerald and sitting council Michael O'Shea, who were chosen on Friday night as candidates for the Dingle Electoral Area. A Fianna Fail spokesman told Radio Kerry News that the full team of councilors would be in place by the end of this week. This is the first time that Fianna Fail has opted to hold interviews to select local election candidates. "

Think the interviews are an interesting tactic to use by Fianna Fail this time round

Nice little mileage allowance for those heading to Limerick then! The local hairdressers, hotels and restaurants in for a little windfall:D

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Nice little mileage allowance for those heading to Limerick then! The local hairdressers, hotels and restaurants in for a little windfall:D

Isn't it about 800 miles from Tralee to Limerick as the prospective FF candidates fly?

Isn't it about 800 miles from Tralee to Limerick as the prospective FF candidates fly?

On mature reflection they will probably fly by individual private jets from Farranfore to Shannon.
    In this way they can have hair done and make-up applied whilst in flight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Kerrylad

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Just checked the current state of play
    11 FF
    8 FG
    3 Independents
    2 Lab
    2 SF
    1 South Kerry Independent Alliance

If the candidates are there FG should be able to come away with most seats in 2009. Labour should be able to double from 2 to 4. Sinn Fein will hold own and maybe increase one. I can see the Independents and FF being the biggest losers.

Prediction 2009
    10 FG
    8 FF
    4 Lab
    3 SF
    2 Independents

hey, i'm a new member and saw the theard and was interested in this.......what i think for 2009 election is that Fine gael will be big big winners while FF will be the worst hit(as expected)labour just to hold there two and same with SF. SKIA should be fine and as for independents i can one of the Healy raes to lose out

Prediction 2009
    11 FG
    9 FF
    2 Lab
    2 SF
    2 Ind
    1 SKIA

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

hi all
    was reading sunday paper and the highest earner of our 164 tds is j healy rae ,287,000 per annum not bad for 78 year old, says lot about irish politics paying him 57k more than party leaders . not far behind barrack obama. no woder we are in a recession :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Kerrylad wrote: »
    hey, i can see one of the Healy raes to lose out

Not that I am in there area, but I hope that it's not only one.

ciaeim wrote: »
    hi all
    was reading sunday paper and the highest earner of our 164 tds is j healy rae ,287,000 per annum not bad for 78 year old, says lot about irish politics paying him 57k more than party leaders . not far behind barrack obama. no woder we are in a recession :confused:

His voters must think that he's the Messiah, God help us all.:eek:

dh0661 wrote: »
    Not that I am in there area, but I hope that it's not only one.
    just heard that niall 'botty' o callaghan is running for the county council election in killarney area......honestly i cant see him doing good but he should damage the healy rae campaign heavily........that should be fun!!!!!!!!!!

Kerrylad wrote: »
    just heard that niall 'botty' o callaghan is running for the county council election in killarney area......honestly i cant see him doing good but he should damage the healy rae campaign heavily........that should be fun!!!!!!!!!!

Oh crikey kerrylad, I do hope your not serious :rolleyes: He is probably going to try and hold the FF seat that Colin Miller currently holds seen as he won't be contesting in the next elections, but seriously 'Botty' on the County Council :eek:

Does anyone have a list of the candidates by any chance?

Oh crikey kerrylad, I do hope your not serious :rolleyes: He is probably going to try and hold the FF seat that Colin Miller currently holds seen as he won't be contesting in the next elections, but seriously 'Botty' on the County Council :eek:

Does anyone have a list of the candidates by any chance?

from what i heard he is going as an Independent......god help us if he is elected but seriously, who would vote for him.........candidates for where, Killarney???

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

patrick o'donoghues brother (john) is running in place of him on killarney town council.
    presume the following will also stand in killarney
    mick gleeson -
    cathal walsh - fg
    sheila casey - fg
    brian o'leary - ff
    doherty -ff
    donal grady - ind
    sean grady - lab
    botty callaghan
    1x sein fein

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

ciaeim wrote: »
    hi all

The greed is there to be seen. I dislike the current policies that are in government and most oppositions. If I hear one of the candidates mentioning something good for my area then I might reconsider!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭FRANKENFURTER

a friend of mine who drinks in jades bar tells me that sean browne hasnt ruled out putting his name in the hat for town council elections...he has left sinn fein over two years ago but seems to think he still has a chance ..this would not be good for the sinn fein candidate..he got a good return of223 frist preference votes last time.and stands a better chance of transferes without the sinn fein tag..what do you think...also there is going to be a green candidate ..and at least three indos......:pac:sean counihan should regain seat .....at whos expence......and fine gale ran three the last tiome will they do so again....which ffer is going to lose out ???????what is the main issue facing the candidates in killarney .....:confused:

Advertisement