Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections in Kerry 2009

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Kerrylad

a friend of mine who drinks in jades bar tells me that sean browne hasnt ruled out putting his name in the hat for town council elections...he has left sinn fein over two years ago but seems to think he still has a chance ..this would not be good for the sinn fein candidate..he got a good return of223 frist preference votes last time.and stands a better chance of transferes without the sinn fein tag..what do you think...also there is going to be a green candidate ..and at least three indos......:pac:sean counihan should regain seat .....at whos expence......and fine gale ran three the last tiome will they do so again....which ffer is going to lose out ???????what is the main issue facing the candidates in killarney .....:confused:

sean browne would defo do damage to sinn fein, seriously weakening their chances of a seat, if any!! fine gael are running two candiadates, cllr shelia casey and well know ex garda cathel walsh...i can see both being elected with cathel being much stronger....i think FF will lose two of the three that they have, with tom dorherty and john o donoughue losing(patricks brother) with o'leary flying the FF flag alone.....the rest i can see staying the same with sean counihan returing to the chamber.....:):)

does any one have any predictions for the killarney electoral area...:confused::confused:. will it be the same return with 2FF 2FG 1IND 1SKIA 1IND/FF.....is their any real threat out there for a seat....is any of the current cllrs under pressure!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Kerrylad wrote: »
    does any one have any predictions for the killarney electoral area...:confused::confused:. will it be the same return with 2FF 2FG 1IND 1SKIA 1IND/FF.....is their any real threat out there for a seat....is any of the current cllrs under pressure!!

:confused: I think you already answered that question in your previous reply to FRANKENFURTER

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

rash wrote: »
    patrick o'donoghues brother (john) is running
    its not John his brother that is running, its junior

he was in the snug in scotts over the weekend talking up his campaign

dh0661 wrote: »
    :confused: I think you already answered that question in your previous reply to FRANKENFURTER

sorry, i meant the county council elections:):)??

• Advertisement

dmeehan wrote: »
    its not John his brother that is running, its junior

he was in the snug in scotts over the weekend talking up his campaign

who is junior??? it said in paper it was john his brother:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

who is junior??? it said in paper it was john his brother:confused:
    his son - not sure whether he's is going for Killarney Town or Kerry County council, I think its Killarney Town Council

dmeehan wrote: »
    his son - not sure whether he's is going for Killarney Town or Kerry County council, I think its Killarney Town Council

patrick o donoghue's son is about 10yrs old........are you sure it's not his brother john
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭FRANKENFURTER

John odonoghue is a younger brother of patrick.he should hold onto the seat that was held for years by his dad maurice who sadly for the family and killarney in general died .the seat was taken by patrick who is now caught up in an ethics trial he has pleaded guilty so now has to give up his seat.it is a town council seat ;););) i have a feeling he will hold his seat at the expence of brian o leary ...not a good time for auctioneers to be knocking on doors i would say....here goes my prediction for what its worth
    1.d ogrady
    2.s ogrady
    3.m glesson
    4.botty
    5.s casey
    6.t dotherty
    7.j odonoghue
    8.s counihan
    9.c walsh/b oleary/indo...would fancy browne if he runs his bar is poupuler with young guys from town and if he can mobilise them he has a good chance.......heres where you heard it first folks......get a price and back

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

If this Sean Browne guy is serious about running and getting elected, then someone should tell him he would want to be getting his name out there asap. I have had just about every known candidate thus far knock on my door. You know, being honest, I don't even know what Sean Browne actually looks like.

• Advertisement

FAIRPOINT not sure if its even through but my buddy seems pretty sure .......how many do you know too look at you only ever see them evry 4 yrs hahahahah..what you prediction

John odonoghue is a younger brother of patrick.he should hold onto the seat that was held for years by his dad maurice who sadly for the family and killarney in general died .the seat was taken by patrick who is now caught up in an ethics trial he has pleaded guilty so now has to give up his seat.it is a town council seat ;););) i have a feeling he will hold his seat at the expence of brian o leary ...not a good time for auctioneers to be knocking on doors i would say....here goes my prediction for what its worth
    1.d ogrady
    2.s ogrady
    3.m glesson
    4.botty
    5.s casey
    6.t dotherty
    7.j odonoghue
    8.s counihan
    9.c walsh/b oleary/indo...would fancy browne if he runs his bar is poupuler with young guys from town and if he can mobilise them he has a good chance.......heres where you heard it first folks......get a price and back

i'd have to change a couple of those to be honest...
    1.m glesson
    2.d grady
    3.s o grady
    4.c walsh
    5.b o leary
    6.botty
    7.s casey
    8.s counihan
    9.m courtney/j o donoughue???
    :pac::pac:

i understood that m courtney wasnt running:p

i understood that m courtney wasnt running:p
    fair enough. when was that announced??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,053 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I expect the FF candidates will be borrowing the bullet-proof Pope-mobile when they pluck up enough courage to go electioneering. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

I think m courtney is running, my father seems to think so too.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Yes, when some of them didn't even bother claiming expenses. Now, getting the expenses sorted is the first item on the agenda. :(

I think you may be right. This, from today's piece by Simon Heffer in the Daily Telegraph, about Jacqui Smith' expenses, says it all . . .

It is now a national sport to disparage those who govern us, and I own up to my own participation in it. It has to stop. But it won't stop until the present House of Commons takes the lead and abolishes the system that creates these parasites, to encourage more people of genuine talent, and with an ethic of public service, to enter politics. Until then, being an MP will remain a meal ticket, sometimes for a whole family, that serves no one except the tribune of the people who is, until found out, being spared the dole queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

Courtney had an ad in fridays advertiser looking for support so he is running.
    very few candidates seem to have websites, can only see sites for Brendan Cronin & Donal Grady. Others only have profile pages on party sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 countesshouse

Getting fed up at this stage reading leaflets that are popped in the letterbox.Some of the candidates do not even bother ringing the door bell.Had one that did but all i heard was "running in June,appreciate your vote".
    The conversation was zero and in my mind this candidate will not be getting my vote!!What we need in the Kerry Region is someone that is able to speak up for the County. with unemployment after rising considerably (the building trade,tourist trade and every trade that this county relies on to survive) i have not heard one candidate address any of these issues.No wonder they wouldn't when a few weeks ago our Minister for Tourism decided to fly by helicopter for a quick meeting into our lovely quiet County.At least Kerry hit the National and local news for a day or two,and i would say that is all the publicity we are going to get for a long while yet.
    Lets vote for someone that will speak up on issues affecting our County.:mad:

rash wrote: »
    Courtney had an ad in fridays advertiser looking for support so he is running.
    very few candidates seem to have websites, can only see sites for Brendan Cronin & Donal Grady. Others only have profile pages on party sites.

have seen in the paper last week(think it was kerryman) that Brendan Cronin has announced that his son, kevin is his campaign manager(director of election) for his campaign......that should be interesting to see how that goes:):) think he is only 19 or some thing!!!

• Advertisement

I for one really welcome the agreement by the candidates not to litter the town with posters of themselves until a few weeks before election day :) and some sure are coming up with ingenious ideas of promoting themselves.

Around Killarney at the moment Donal Grady has posters attached to his and some of his main canvassers' vehicles & Paul O'Donoghue has put his details on his wife's jam-jars before they are sold on to the shops.

Has anyone else seen anything else like this by candidates in their areas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Interyurauldone

Anyone being following the listowel area election. 6 seats being reduced to 5. Who's most likely to lose out? I presume the usual suspects in NK will be safe ie Pat Leahy Labour, Liam Purtill Fine Gael, will FF suffer??

Anyone being following the listowel area election. 6 seats being reduced to 5. Who's most likely to lose out? I presume the usual suspects in NK will be safe ie Pat Leahy Labour, Liam Purtill Fine Gael, will FF suffer??

definatly dan kiely to lose out there, deenihan got over 12,000vote FG well safe here

from www.radiokerry.ie

14 Apr 2009
    North Kerry Fianna Fail election candidate steps down

A North Kerry Fianna Fáil candidate has stepped down ahead of June's local elections. Michael Collins was one of six candidates selected by the party for election to Listowel Town and Kerry County Councils. Councillor Maria Gorman, Fianna Fáil's Head of Organisations for North Kerry said she received confirmation from Mr Collins that he no longer wished to run for the party. It's not yet known if Mr Collins, who's Secretary of the Clonmackin Fianna Fáil cumann intends to run as an independent candidate.

wil he run as an independant I wonder?

kerry4sam wrote: »
    from www.radiokerry.ie

14 Apr 2009
    North Kerry Fianna Fail election candidate steps down

A North Kerry Fianna Fáil candidate has stepped down ahead of June's local elections. Michael Collins was one of six candidates selected by the party for election to Listowel Town and Kerry County Councils. Councillor Maria Gorman, Fianna Fáil's Head of Organisations for North Kerry said she received confirmation from Mr Collins that he no longer wished to run for the party. It's not yet known if Mr Collins, who's Secretary of the Clonmackin Fianna Fáil cumann intends to run as an independent candidate.

wil he run as an independant I wonder?

I reckon he saw the previous post in relation to FF needing the bullett proof popemobile for canvasing :D!!

All jokes aside I dont know the man but perhaps the fact he's leaving FF may show he's intent to get elected? As in, he feels FF will take a battering in the upcoming elections (as Labour in the UK did in their local elections last year) and he prefers he's chances as an independent.

It could be a wise call on his behalf in the short term. In the long term i'm not too sure.

I see Mike Conway the Kerry hurler/Finuge Footballer is on the Labour ticket. This could be a good move by Labour. Effecient vote management and a big demise in the FF vote could see labour threaten for a second seat????

Anyone care to hazard an outcome in the Listowel area election?

definatly dan kiely to lose out there, deenihan got over 12,000vote FG well safe here

After reading a leaflet shoved through my door a while ago, I decided that Dan Kiely should now be called Desperate Dan. It makes you want to cry. :D The most pitiful electioneering that I've ever seen.

It says:

MY SEAT IS NOT SAFE

Listowel will only return 5 councillors this time

My opponents are saying again that my seat is safe - they did the same in 2004, but I lost 1000 votes and I lost my seat.

Don't be fooled this time. I need your No 1 etc etc etc

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The most pitiful electioneering that I've ever seen...

Maybe him and some others are now getting flashes as to what they will be doing over the next few years if not elected onto the council in 2009:eek: :pac:

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Maybe him and some others are now getting flashes as to what they will be doing over the next few years if not elected onto the council in 2009:eek: :pac:

Maybe thats why the FF government did'nt cut the dole in the last budget because so many of their esteemed councillors maybe signing on come Monday 8th June!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Maybe thats why the FF government did'nt cut the dole in the last budget because so many of their esteemed councillors maybe signing on come Monday 8th June!!! :D

PMSL :D

Heard on radio Kerry today that some of the councillors are giving away stuff like turf, potatoes and marmalade to try to get a vote.

• Advertisement

dh0661 wrote: »
    PMSL :D

Heard on radio Kerry today that some of the councillors are giving away stuff like turf, potatoes and marmalade to try to get a vote.

We've all got our price, but not that low. Is there a shortage of brown envelopes?

Advertisement