Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections in Kerry 2009

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 countesshouse

Must be!!! Maybe they are getting the turf and spuds at a bargain price!!! What a sad state of affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

ejmaztec wrote: »
    We've all got our price, but not that low. Is there a shortage of brown envelopes?

not alone does there seem to be a shortage of brown envelopes ejmaztec but now the local TD's are not permitted to give the councillors some prepaid envelopes for their electioneering ... They have to actually buy the stamps aswell now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Interyurauldone

dh0661 wrote: »
    PMSL :D

Heard on radio Kerry today that some of the councillors are giving away stuff like turf, potatoes and marmalade to try to get a vote.

Yeah i heard that! i think its down to the Kerry County Council ban on election posters until one month before the election.

Candidates are looking to get inventive by sticking their heads on pots of jam with a "Vote No.1".

Now if that does'nt get you out of bed in the morning what will!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

On the Listowel thread one hopeful independent candidate has put up details of his proposals.

I hope some of the other candidates will do the same.

The local threads would be a better place for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

On the Listowel thread one hopeful independent candidate has put up details of his proposals.

I hope some of the other candidates will do the same.

The local threads would be a better place for this.

I wonder who that is........:pac:

• Advertisement

kerry4sam wrote: »
    not alone does there seem to be a shortage of brown envelopes ejmaztec but now the local TD's are not permitted to give the councillors some prepaid envelopes for their electioneering ... They have to actually buy the stamps aswell now :D

I've seen a lot more pigeons recently - An Post must be taking a bit of a hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Kerrylad

sure thats really going to happen:eek::eek:...i got 1 from a cllr last week:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Yeah i heard that! i think its down to the Kerry County Council ban on election posters until one month before the election.

Candidates are looking to get inventive by sticking their heads on pots of jam with a "Vote No.1".

Now if that does'nt get you out of bed in the morning what will!?!

I read that Mick Gleeson in Killarney is not putting up any election posters as he feels they are an eyesore and a blight on the countryside, especially when you consider that tourists come to Killarney for the scenery. I wonder if this will damage his chances? By rights the KCC should have a complete ban on election posters - there's really no need for them in this day and age.

Did Radio Kerry name and shame the candidates giving gifts for votes?
    Surely this has to be illegal?
    Even if it's not "technically illegal" it's an utter disgrace and I would hope that people will vote against the candidates doing this.

On the election envelopes thing, I read an article either in the Indo or the Times a while back, which said that any use of Oireachtas envelopes by any candidates is totally forbidden. What had been happening was that TDs had been passing on boxes of these envelopes to party members to use for their election campaigns. I think they put the total cost at around €2.7m to the taxpayer. If anyone comes accross this I'm sure that the Standards in Public Office Commission would love to hear about it - sipo@sipo.gov.ie
    Watchdog raps politicians for €2.7m abuse of free envelopes
    By Senan Molony Deputy Political Editor

Friday April 03 2009

ENVELOPE abuse by politicians, which costs taxpayers €2.7m a year, was rapped yesterday by an ethics watchdog.

TDs and Senators were criticised for failing to crack down on the misuse of free Oireachtas envelopes. The Standards In Public Office Commission (SIPO) also warned politicians not to provide pre-paid Oireachtas envelopes to candidates in the local and European elections.

Members of all parties, right up to ministerial level, have been caught trying to steal a march on their rivals by using the parliamentary postal system -- intended for replies to constituents' representations -- for private political purposes.

The free envelopes system for TDs and senators is continuing to be abused, five years after a promised clampdown. Yesterday the SIPO warned it would not tolerate breaches of ethics through the use of the envelopes for the local and European elections. Each envelope costs the taxpayer 60c.

The commission warned: "TDs and Senators should not provide pre-paid Oireachtas envelopes, or other Oireachtas facilities ,to candidates at the forthcoming local and European elections."

It said it regretted that the Dail Committee on Procedure and Privileges (CPP) -- and that of the Seanad -- had both decided not to recommend that Oireachtas envelopes be bar-coded in order that each one could be traced to the member to whom it was issued.

Public resources could have been safeguarded in this way, the commission said. The Dail CPP originally decided that barcodes should be put in place, but the Seanad version subsequently decided against traceability.

Next the Dail CPP reversed its earlier decision and thus pre-paid Oireachtas envelopes are not barcoded.

The Standards Commission said it was "entirely inappropriate" for members to pass on such facilities on to other persons, "such as election candidates," for personal, electoral or party political gain.

"Oireachtas facilities such as free pre-paid envelopes are provided at public expense to assist members in the performance of their functions as public representatives and the relevant codes of conduct require that such resources are used only for the purpose for which they are granted."

The warning raises the stakes in advance of the June poll, with the likelihood of a SIPO investigation into both the donor and recipient

Expense

Members of the Oireachtas are granted a wide range of facilities and allowances at public expense. The grant of free post amounts to 1,750 pre-paid envelopes per month per member -- a total of 21,000 envelopes each a year.

The Standards Commission said it was disappointed to note that "notwithstanding previous correspondence with office holders" it continues to receive enquiries from concerned members of the public about the inappropriate use of state envelopes by persons who are not members of the Oireachtas.

It reminded TDs and senators that they were required to be guided by their code of conduct that "official facilities should be used only for official purposes".

It also reminded candidates at the European elections that Oireachtas envelopes were an election expense "and must be accounted for". If the value of the donation exceeds €635, it must be disclosed on a candidate's donation statement and the name of the politician who provides the envelopes must also be disclosed.

- Senan Molony Deputy Political Editor

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/watchdog-raps-politicians-for-836427m-abuse-of-free-envelopes-1696830.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭FRANKENFURTER

election fever is starting to grip......just seen Brendan Cronin's advert in this weeks outlook he takes a nice side swipe at the joke that is the healy rae bandwagon ....i really hope people start to see past the political shrewdness of Jackie to see what he really is a YES boy to Fianna fail .there's no mention of what was chopped from his shopping list either in last weeks budget.......am a member of no party but for what its worth i hope mick gleason and Brendan Cronin are both reelected ......

election fever is starting to grip......just seen Brendan Cronin's advert in this weeks outlook he takes a nice side swipe at the joke that is the healy rae bandwagon ....i really hope people start to see past the political shrewdness of Jackie to see what he really is a YES boy to Fianna fail .there's no mention of what was chopped from his shopping list either in last weeks budget.......am a member of no party but for what its worth i hope mick gleason and Brendan Cronin are both reelected ......

I recently met BrendanCronins' election campaign manager and now I seriously wish the man the best of luck ... experience is a must in local politics!

• Advertisement

I recently met BrendanCronins' election campaign manager and now I seriously wish the man the best of luck ... experience is a must in local politics!

i saw your comment and i had perviously posted a comment about his election manager.....his son kevin.......wats he like i never meet him but aparently is a tough cookie from what my friends say:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

does anyone have a map of the electoral areas/wards for the upcomming local elections?

why is this information so hard to find - local government efficiency

dmeehan wrote: »
    does anyone have a map of the electoral areas/wards for the upcomming local elections?

why is this information so hard to find - local government efficiency

try the council office in tralee...they surly have them

Kerrylad wrote: »
    try the council office in tralee...they surly have them

i mean online

i mean online
    not a chance online...you will probably have to buy them from copuncil office:confused:

Kerrylad wrote: »
    not a chance online...you will probably have to buy them from copuncil office:confused:

I phoned Kerry County Council there and the lady I spoke with said it's not available that she knew of. She said to contact a lady there (not sure if I can post that name and extension number here) so PM me and I'll send it onto you no bother.
    She said the maps were only available now for those seeking election and not for the general public right now.

:confused::confused::confused:
    I phoned Kerry County Council there and the lady I spoke with said it's not available that she knew of. She said to contact a lady there (not sure if I can post that name and extension number here) so PM me and I'll send it onto you no bother.
    She said the maps were only available now for those seeking election and not for the general public right now.
    GO TO THE LIBRARY OR THE WEBSITE OF THE ENVOIRMENT OFFICE........

i mean online

dmeehan was looking for it online

Whose environment office, Kerry County Council? Why not post the link, and turn off the Caps lock while you are at it

:(:(:(
    Whose environment office, Kerry County Council? Why not post the link, and turn off the Caps lock while you are at it
    sorry bout caps ..dept of environment will have a map showing all the boundaries

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Interyurauldone

Has there being any opinion polls carried out todate in the Kerry area for the local elections? I 'm curious to see how it's shaping up with 6 weeks to go.

Their is still some confusion about who is actually running here and some candidates haven't even officially launched their campaign yet.

So I'd say it will be about a week, two max before serious opinion polls will be drawn up & released

I've only been visited by Labour and FG in North Kerry so far, and the rest of the challengers,whoever the hell they are, seem to be conspicuous by their absence.

We're all irrelevant in the Listowel area. :( Of course, at least one of the rest of them probably won't leave the comfort of his blast-proof, steel-reinforced concrete bunker.:pac:

About an hour after I posted the first couple of paragraphs, Desperate Dan Kiely came knocking on my door. I had great pleasure in telling him that I wouldn't vote for him in a million years. Does this mean that they're monitoring my internet account? :eek:

Was talking to someone involved in one of the election campaigns about the registrar of elections and they said that each candidate was provided with 2 free copies for each of the electoral districts in which they were competing and if they wanted more there was a charge. They said for previous campaigns they were presented with as many as they liked but due to the recession they was now a charge for the additional copies.

About an hour after I posted the first couple of paragraphs, Desperate Dan Kiely came knocking on my door. I had great pleasure in telling him that I wouldn't vote for him in a million years. Does this mean that they're monitoring my internet account? :eek:

Yes yes it does. Don't tell anyone but FF are engaged in ultra-sophisticated high-level electronic internet monitoring supported by the CIA, MI6, Chloe from the CTU in 24 and an elite think-tank based in Ardfert. This is what prompted the visit. I may have already said too much. Trust no-one. Watch the skies. The truth is out there.

Or it just could be a coincidence????

Yes yes it does. Don't tell anyone but FF are engaged in ultra-sophisticated high-level electronic internet monitoring supported by the CIA, MI6, Chloe from the CTU in 24 and an elite think-tank based in Ardfert. This is what prompted the visit. I may have already said too much. Trust no-one. Watch the skies. The truth is out there.

Or it just could be a coincidence????

If this is the same set-up that they used to monitor the banks before the melt-down, then I think I'm safe - for now.

I have added a poll to the Kerry News Blog, here is the link: http://kerrynews.wordpress.com/2009/04/24/poll-local-elections-2009/

I can add a more detailed poll for each of the seperate local authority elections in Kerry if tehre is a demand for it. Please "cast your vote" and leave a comment too if you want.

so far i have only been visited by gutless wonders who call in the middle of day when I am at work, they wont be getting my vote. last night sinn fein dropped some leaflets in the letterbox and didnt even bother trying to canvas, so they wont be gettin any votes either.

Also if a candidate doesnt make an effort to speak to me then i wont be voting for them either. - at this rate i wont be voting at all (happy days!!)

I have added a poll to the Kerry News Blog, here is the link: http://kerrynews.wordpress.com/2009/04/24/poll-local-elections-2009/

I can add a more detailed poll for each of the seperate local authority elections in Kerry if tehre is a demand for it. Please "cast your vote" and leave a comment too if you want.

Is there a running total for those replying to the poll?

• Advertisement

Is there a running total for those replying to the poll?

just click on View Results link, at the bottom of the poll box thingy
    here's the link again: http://kerrynews.wordpress.com/2009/04/24/poll-local-elections-2009/

Advertisement