Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections in Kerry 2009

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Interyurauldone

kate1001 wrote: »
    Living a couple of miles outside Listowel area and yet to have a FF candidate knock on my door. I had Liam Purtill last Saturday and Tim Buckley a couple of weeks ago, Robert Beasley and Pat leahy have also called. Has this happened to anyone else around Kerry - suspect they'll be a big push from the FF candidates over the coming weeks. An interesting few weeks ahead.

The kerryman in the past has published a scorecard on the sitting councillors anyone know if this is due out for this election.

I'm only home at weekends but i've met Robert Beasley and Liam Purtill, Labour stuffed leaflets through our letterbox but scampered out of the front gate as I opened the door!

From talking to people at home they haven't seeing FF yet either.

Every election we always here about the FF machine but will we see it this year? I have my doubts there is a lot of unease at grass roots level within FF. I maybe wrong but i think they could struggle to get a big campaign at local level off the ground this year

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

dmeehan wrote: »
    did you see john o'donoghues ad in the killarney advertiser/outlook
    all of what he "promises" to do (promote killarney, music, etc) are all part of his job in the brehon

'spose at least he isnt bull****ting like a lot of the others with promises like increase garda numbers in killarney etc. what a crock

As I dont live within the Town Boundary but I am a Ratepayer to the UDC, I have to say that the quality of A****le which is elected to the Town council never ceases to amaze me but then again this is the county which has elected 3 Healy-Raes.

The UDC imo is full of self preversation politicians who have neglected the Retail life of the Town while looking after sectional interests

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

my poll, running on http://kerrynews.wordpress.com/2009/04/24/poll-local-elections-2009/ is currently showing FF, FG and Lab all on 24% for the local elections

looks like it will be tight

• Registered Users Posts: 24,053 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

newman10 wrote: »
    As I dont live within the Town Boundary but I am a Ratepayer to the UDC, I have to say that the quality of A****le which is elected to the Town council never ceases to amaze me but then again this is the county which has elected 3 Healy-Raes.

The UDC imo is full of self preversation politicians who have neglected the Retail life of the Town while looking after sectional interests

For a second there, I thought that you were referring to Listowel. I think there seems to be a pattern for "quality".

Is it the same in Tralee? I assume so, as their shooting themselves in the feet over M&S seems to follow the guidelines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭FRANKENFURTER

my poll, running on http://kerrynews.wordpress.com/2009/04/24/poll-local-elections-2009/ is currently showing FF, FG and Lab all on 24% for the local elections

looks like it will be tight
    WOW followed that link and went to the euro poll it shows t ferris well ahead now that would be interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Bizgno

Couldn't agree more. The lack of editorial commentary in both the K'man and Kerry's Eye is depressing. It just isn't newsworthy I guess. I'd like to see some opinion pieces to shake things up at bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

where can i get a list of all the candidates??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kate1001

This is a poll that's out tonight from TNS MRBI. I'm sure it will get coverage at 9 O' Clock news got the figs from politics.ie so very reliable.

FG 38% (+6)
    FF 21% (-1)
    LAB 20% (-4)
    SF 9% (nc)
    GRN 3% (-1)
    OTH 9%

Government Satisfaction 10% (-4).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Kerrylad

Seinas wrote: »
    where can i get a list of all the candidates??
    nominations close tomorrow so the media hopefully will have it next week

there is a list of candidates for the 4 electoral areas in kerry county council on the door of county buildings in tralee (had to top up my bin lift credit)

• Advertisement

there is a list of candidates for the 4 electoral areas in kerry county council on the door of county buildings in tralee (had to top up my bin lift credit)

High technology?

Perhaps they'll upload the door onto their website.:pac:

It's a bit odd to hear a staunch, long-standing North Kerry FF lady telling you on the doorstep that the only thing wrong with her is that she's Fianna Fail.:eek:

Perhaps FF should change its name to The Desperate Republicans.

• Site Banned Posts: 179 ✭✭JasonBourne

well for me im voting Arthur Spring (LAB) we have to get FF out on there ears and do it from the ground up. i really think Labour will be able to make change for our country FF/FG have had there chances now its time to let the new blood in.

just my 2cents worth!:D

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It's a bit odd to hear a staunch, long-standing North Kerry FF lady telling you on the doorstep that the only thing wrong with her is that she's Fianna Fail.:eek:

Perhaps FF should change its name to The Desperate Republicans.
    please don't sully the Good name of republicans by using them in the same sentence as Fianna foul..they should but just called DESPERATE:confused:

please don't sully the Good name of republicans by using them in the same sentence as Fianna foul..they should but just called DESPERATE:confused:

Sorry, I'll concede that and use another word starting with "B", which would probably be more apt.:p

well for me im voting Arthur Spring (LAB) we have to get FF out on there ears and do it from the ground up. i really think Labour will be able to make change for our country FF/FG have had there chances now its time to let the new blood in.

just my 2cents worth!:D

Similar to the change Uncle Dick made when he went into power with FF after telling us Labour would not. :confused:

The one thing about Local Elections is that All Politics is local so honesty from the canidates is most welcome.

Porridge is saying he will build a Childrens playground in Beaufort, for Ch***ts sake , where and with what ????????

Similar to the change Uncle Dick made when he went into power with FF after telling us Labour would not. :confused:

The one thing about Local Elections is that All Politics is local so honesty from the canidates is most welcome.

Porridge is saying he will build a Childrens playground in Beaufort, for Ch***ts sake , where and with what ????????
    What an asshole lets be fair dont know the man but outside of mike glesson tell me anothe decent rep that we have

What an asshole lets be fair dont know the man but outside of mike glesson tell me anothe decent rep that we have

haha......mick glesson....ha i cant stop laughing really...haha....you really cant put glesson and decent in the same sentance. can u?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

Kerrylad wrote: »
    haha......mick glesson....ha i cant stop laughing really...haha....you really cant put glesson and decent in the same sentance. can u?

why not? can u explain?
    Always thought he was one of the few without any vested interests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Yeah I'd love to hear your rationale behind this as well.

• Advertisement

I have received an excel sheet of the list of candidates for Kerry County Council for each of the five electoral areas (Killarney, Tralee, Dingle, Killorglin, Listowel). See attached xls document.

rash wrote: »
    why not? can u explain?
    Always thought he was one of the few without any vested interests.

well you say vested interests....his first cousin was on the boundary review committee for local autorities last year.....he should have declared interest and withdrawn from committee and if glesson was a 'decent man' he would have made this public seeming he is a public representative and that they shopuld have know.....now he is on to head poll as his area not affected

well you say vested interests....his first cousin was on the boundary review committee for local autorities last year.....he should have declared interest and withdrawn from committee and if glesson was a 'decent man' he would have made this public seeming he is a public representative and that they shopuld have know.....now he is on to head poll as his area not affected

Firstly the area for the Killarney UDC has been changed - the districts of Castleisland, Cordal and Kilfelim have been added to the election district.

I really don't think these changes could be described as a very much in the way of a positive for Gleeson. Chances are that his vote in these districts will be well down compared to what he is likely to receive in other districts nearer Killarney.

http://www.electoralareacommittees.ie

According to the website the five people on the committee were as below.
    All of them seem to be adequately qualified - I'm not sure which one is supposed to be Gleeson's cousin, but you are clearly trying to suggest that whoever it was acted improperly in relation to the redrawing of the electoral boundaries in order to give Mick Gleeson some sort of advantage. Given the way the boundaries were redrawn this doesn't look to have happened. So I think you are just picking on one not very significant matter in an attempt to fling some mud at Mick Gleeson, which is a bit sad really.

Niall Callan - Chairperson former Secretary General, Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government
    Ann McGuinness - former Westmeath County Manager
    Deirdre Garvey - Chief Executive Officer, The Wheel
    Donal O’Donoghue - former Galway County Manager
    John McCormack - Director of Services, Kilkenny County Council

http://www.electoralareacommittees.ie/background.htm

Firstly the area for the Killarney UDC has been changed - the districts of Castleisland, Cordal and Kilfelim have been added to the election district.

I really don't think these changes could be described as a very much in the way of a positive for Gleeson. Chances are that his vote in these districts will be well down compared to what he is likely to receive in other districts nearer Killarney.

http://www.electoralareacommittees.ie

All of them seem to be adequately qualified - I'm not sure which one is supposed to be Gleeson's cousin, but you are clearly trying to suggest that whoever it was acted improperly in relation to the redrawing of the electoral boundaries in order to give Mick Gleeson some sort of advantage. Given the way the boundaries were redrawn this doesn't look to have happened. So I think you are just picking on one not very significant matter in an attempt to fling some mud at Mick Gleeson, which is a bit sad really.

Niall Callan - Chairperson former Secretary General, Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government
    Ann McGuinness - former Westmeath County Manager
    Deirdre Garvey - Chief Executive Officer, The Wheel
    Donal O’Donoghue - former Galway County Manager
    John McCormack - Director of Services, Kilkenny County Council

http://www.electoralareacommittees.ie/background.htm

you really dont have a education of election as Killarney UDC is actually called killarney town council and i dont think the people of castleisland will be voting for killarney town council really. and as for castleisland it has been brought in for everyone so again dont know what your on about . as for flinging mud at mick glesson, i'm actually giving him my number too seeming that i am from cork rd...so again you should really pick your words wishly!!:P:P(your clearly a glesson voter nd its good to know his loyal supports bach him any way;))

Whats this tent to which Desperate Dan refers? Is it anything to do with the Galway Races?:confused:

http://www.kerryman.ie/news/cowen-lashes-kerrys-faint-hearted-1744797.html

"One of the few candidates proudly displaying the Fianna Fáil name on his posters is Kerry County Councillor Dan Kiely. He agreed fully with the Taoiseach's message to their 'faint-hearted' colleagues.
    "I've been in Fianna Fáil all my life and I'm very proud of the party. I have maybe been dissatisfied with some of the decisions of government in recent times, but it's far better to be inside the tent, where you can make a difference, than outside," he said."

All of them seem to be adequately qualified - I'm not sure which one is supposed to be Gleeson's cousin, but you are clearly trying to suggest that whoever it was acted improperly in relation to the redrawing of the electoral boundaries in order to give Mick Gleeson some sort of advantage.

its not that he is suggesting that anything untoward happened, merely that if an elected official has a conflict of interest then he should declare this and stand aside on any related matters that come before the council

it doesnt matter whether or not he was planning to do something wrong etc. its that if a first cousin is on the committee he should declare this and excuse themselves from any motion that relates to this committee

It was Gleeson afterall that reported Patrick O'Donoghue to the ethics committee

its not that he is suggesting that anything untoward happened, merely that if an elected official has a conflict of interest then he should declare this and stand aside on any related matters that come before the council

it doesnt matter whether or not he was planning to do something wrong etc. its that if a first cousin is on the committee he should declare this and excuse themselves from any motion that relates to this committee

It was Gleeson afterall that reported Patrick O'Donoghue to the ethics committee

Sauce for the Goose is Sauce for the Gander

it doesn’t matter whether or not he was planning to do something wrong etc. its that if a first cousin is on the committee he should declare this and excuse themselves from any motion that relates to this committee

It was Gleeson after all that reported Patrick O'Donoghue to the ethics committee

Sorry but his Kerrylad's initial statement did seem to suggest that he thinks something untoward did happen.

For the sake of argument, replace the Mick Gleeson and Gleeson parts with your own name here. How would you feel if someone wrote this about you? Would you think they weren’t suggesting you had done something inappropriate?

Personally I think that Gleeson's cousin should have excused himself from the committee. However I don't think it's right or fair to lay the blame for his cousin's actions at Gleeson's feet.

The committee in question is the electoral area committee which decides which districts are included in which electoral areas. There wouldn't have been any business which would have come before the council relating to this committee for which Mick Gleeson could have stood aside. So to abuse him over a situation where he couldn't affect matters one way or the other, seems grossly unfair to me and just reeks of mudslinging.

Kerrylad was saying that it makes Mick Gleeson a less than decent individual because of the actions of his cousin, which I don't agree with one bit.
    It was Gleeson after all that reported Patrick O'Donoghue to the ethics committee

For which we should all be thankful. However I'm sure that there are some individuals who would love to get back at him for doing this.
    Sauce for the Goose is Sauce for the Gander

I find this remark a bit disingenuous given it's immediately following the line about Patrick O'Donoghue.

On one hand you have a corrupt politician who has been convicted by the courts of the land of using his position to enrichen himself while on the other side you have a politician who is getting abuse not because of his own actions, but because of the actions of a relative.

I don't think it's fair to draw any parallels between the two individuals whatsoever, in terms of their personal integrity.

Perhaps it was meant to suggest that we need our politicians to be clean and to be seen to be clean which is what I would hope.

At a time when there are so many of the politicians in the country who are genuinely deserving of scorn and vitriol, I think it's just depressing to see a candidate who does actually work for the good of the community and does seem to have a sense of personal integrity, getting abused not for his own actions but for the actions of others.

I find this remark a bit disingenuous given it's immediately following the line about Patrick O'Donoghue.

On one hand you have a corrupt politician who has been convicted by the courts of the land of using his position to enrichen himself while on the other side you have a politician who is getting abuse not because of his own actions, but because of the actions of a relative.

I don't think it's fair to draw any parallels between the two individuals whatsoever, in terms of their personal integrity.

Perhaps it was meant to suggest that we need our politicians to be clean and to be seen to be clean which is what I would hope.

At a time when there are so many of the politicians in the country who are genuinely deserving of scorn and vitriol, I think it's just depressing to see a candidate who does actually work for the good of the community and does seem to have a sense of personal integrity, getting abused not for his own actions but for the actions of others.

It is not meant to be a disingenous comment but one has to remember that when one stands a champion of the people he/she better make sure that no mud can be thrown at him/her and if it means removing family from any form of decision making, it has to be so.

I do not have a vote in the Killarney Electoral Area or Town Council even though I pay substantial Rates to the UDC. Not one Canidate has asked me if ther is anything better we could be doing for the good of the Town instead of bulls8itting about potholes and the increase Rates and Water Charges. So as you may surmise my opinion on the Canidates is not too high.

• Advertisement

Sorry but his Kerrylad's initial statement did seem to suggest that he thinks something untoward did happen.

For the sake of argument, replace the Mick Gleeson and Gleeson parts with your own name here. How would you feel if someone wrote this about you? Would you think they weren’t suggesting you had done something inappropriate?

Personally I think that Gleeson's cousin should have excused himself from the committee. However I don't think it's right or fair to lay the blame for his cousin's actions at Gleeson's feet.

The committee in question is the electoral area committee which decides which districts are included in which electoral areas. There wouldn't have been any business which would have come before the council relating to this committee for which Mick Gleeson could have stood aside. So to abuse him over a situation where he couldn't affect matters one way or the other, seems grossly unfair to me and just reeks of mudslinging.

Kerrylad was saying that it makes Mick Gleeson a less than decent individual because of the actions of his cousin, which I don't agree with one bit.

For which we should all be thankful. However I'm sure that there are some individuals who would love to get back at him for doing this.

it is now clear that you really are a Glesson 'fan' to which i completment you, but when you are elected by the public, no matter whether you did something right or wrong you are ALWAYS answerable to the public, they are paying Glesson his wages as are all Councillors being paid by the taxpayer, so whether Glesson had any influnce it should have been stated by him that he had a cousin on the board and also the cousin should have declared that he had a relitive in public office that would be in the area he was revising. glesson is a good worker, but i believe that he should have declared this simple fact if he really believed in his slogan he uses "Progress with Dignity"...some dignity alright:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Advertisement