Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections in Kerry 2009

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭FRANKENFURTER

Kerrylad wrote: »
    it is now clear that you really are a Glesson 'fan' to which i completment you, but when you are elected by the public, no matter whether you did something right or wrong you are ALWAYS answerable to the public, they are paying Glesson his wages as are all Councillors being paid by the taxpayer, so whether Glesson had any influnce it should have been stated by him that he had a cousin on the board and also the cousin should have declared that he had a relitive in public office that would be in the area he was revising. glesson is a good worker, but i believe that he should have declared this simple fact if he really believed in his slogan he uses "Progress with Dignity"...some dignity alright:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    valid point i must agree ...but i still think he is one of the better reps at the moment..i dont know the man but from his record in local media im thinking of giving him a scratch.....anyone who reads weekly advertiser will know he is always n there on local issues......so me thinks its.....b cronin county m glesson town...and ferris for euro...........defo not fianna fail however if a general was called id prob vote finna fail...........i dont think a change of goverment would be very good at the moment:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Kerrylad

valid point i must agree ...but i still think he is one of the better reps at the moment..i dont know the man but from his record in local media im thinking of giving him a scratch.....anyone who reads weekly advertiser will know he is always n there on local issues......so me thinks its.....b cronin county m glesson town...and ferris for euro...........defo not fianna fail however if a general was called id prob vote finna fail...........i dont think a change of goverment would be very good at the moment:confused:

i'd be similar....brendan cronin for county wit glesson my two, glesson for town but i'd have to give my europe to Sean kelly:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

and ferris for euro

Is that your political preference? or is it that she's looking damm good on her posters? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

In my own opinion Sean Kelly has forfeited a lot of credibility by associating himself with Lowery in Tipperary.

FINTAN O'TOOLEThe Tipperary politician is a self-pitying cheat and a liar – yet still his career is deemed worth celebrating. Clearly, we have learned nothing, writes FINTAN O'TOOLE.

Quotation from the Irish Times April the 21st 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

In my own opinion Sean Kelly has forfeited a lot of credibility by associating himself with Lowery in Tipperary.

FINTAN O'TOOLEThe Tipperary politician is a self-pitying cheat and a liar – yet still his career is deemed worth celebrating. Clearly, we have learned nothing, writes FINTAN O'TOOLE.

Quotation from the Irish Times April the 21st 2009

You know I remember a debate on RK some time back in April with Sean Kelly & Toirease Ferris over his accepting the endorsement from Michael Lowry & he just didn't come out of that debate at all well. In saying that though, he has done some MASSIVE work since then all over the South & I firmly believe he will get his seat second to Brian Crowley down here.

• Advertisement

I know which local candidates I will give my vote preference to but the order is still a little by the wayside. I know my number#1 for definite but after that, for the first time since I started voting, I won't be voting by the party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sslazio11

"And Ferris for Euro"

I knew her in college, and she's a head-the-ball who has no problem abusing others when contradicted in a debate. No chance she's getting my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,053 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It seems that political dynasties are still the order of the day, no matter which party's involved. They're all like mini royal families. Some are good, but many aren't worth their weight in horse manure.

Who are the good ones in Kerry?:D

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It seems that political dynasties are still the order of the day, no matter which party's involved. They're all like mini royal families. Some are good, but many aren't worth their weight in horse manure.

Who are the good ones in Kerry?:D
    Well if you take a look at all jobs its very similar...ie .how many guard do you know that have kids follow them doctos nurses teachers etc its only natural that one would follow the footteps of there peers....................

Well if you take a look at all jobs its very similar...ie .how many guard do you know that have kids follow them doctos nurses teachers etc its only natural that one would follow the footteps of there peers....................

Be that as it may, with the good old Irish tradition, but it's pure luck that the one following in his/her parents' footsteps, even likes, or is any good at, the job which they've "inherited". It seems quite common that after years of persuasion, someone gets pushed into something that they don't want to do, leading to their doing a lousy job because they'd rather be doing something else.

We can't afford any lacklustre crap where the running of the country is concerned.

• Advertisement

Be that as it may, with the good old Irish tradition, but it's pure luck that the one following in his/her parents' footsteps, even likes, or is any good at, the job which they've "inherited". It seems quite common that after years of persuasion, someone gets pushed into something that they don't want to do, leading to their doing a lousy job because they'd rather be doing something else.

We can't afford any lacklustre crap where the running of the country is concerned.
    well anybody who thinks they can do better just lost out on there chance for another five years...

well anybody who thinks they can do better just lost out on there chance for another five years...

It might take five years of campaigning to make a slight dent, but it will take another fifty years to get people to change who they vote for. In the meantime, it's a good idea to pester the ones who do get elected, and hound 'em each step of the way, to make certain that they get on with the job and the promises.:D

Okay It's late & I'm curious:

Is their anyone here apart from me who seems content with the work of majority of the current councillors. I can honestly only find *Fault with ONE sitting county councillor & funnily enough he has decided NOT to run again this time round.

*Fault by definition in that they never lived true in their word to me personally...but as for the remainder, well, the one's I approached for whatever reason did live up to their word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sslazio11

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Okay It's late & I'm curious:

Is their anyone here apart from me who seems content with the work of majority of the current councillors. I can honestly only find *Fault with ONE sitting county councillor & funnily enough he has decided NOT to run again this time round.

*Fault by definition in that they never lived true in their word to me personally...but as for the remainder, well, the one's I approached for whatever reason did live up to their word.

Well if you adhere to the "All politics is local" ethos, then the councillors probably do live up to their word for individuals in their constituency. I would say that's the case across the country. As to whether they do enough for the county on a larger scale, I'd be less sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Lovely writer

I do not think that I should have to approach the people in the county council to fix the roads in North Kerry. The road outside Kerry Co-op is positively dangerous. I was told that all of the money for roads went to South Kerry.

I do not think that I should have to approach the people in the county council to fix the roads in North Kerry. The road outside Kerry Co-op is positively dangerous. I was told that all of the money for roads went to South Kerry.

For a major road, it's a complete disgrace and another example of how the area gets ignored. Perhaps Ned O'Sullivan will find some spare tarmac instead of roaming the countryside asking people to vote for his FF chums.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

I think you meant Kilgarven to Cahirciveen. The rest of us can fall into potholes and have our cars scraped by briars. So much for Road Tax

They seem to be fighting amongst themselves now.

Perhaps FF read one of my previous posts and worked out who I was talking about.

http://www.kerryman.ie/local-elections/ff-bust-up-over-dan-kiely-rally-1752056.html

FIANNA Fáil candidate for the Kerry County Council elections Maria Gorman has criticised the organising of a rally in aid of running mate Dan Kiely held in Listowel on Friday night as, she claims, it was incorrectly billed as a Fianna Fáil event.
    "This was not a Fianna Fáil rally at all. I am very critical of the name of Fianna Fáil having been used in association with it as it could not have been a Fianna Fáil function because I, as a member of the party and of the National Executive of Fianna Fáil, was not invited to it," Cllr Gorman said.
    A Fianna Fáil candidate for the Listowel electoral area of the county authority — alongside outgoing cllrs Dan Kiely and John Brassil — Cllr Gorman said the invitations 'misled' ordinary supporters of the party.
    Cllr Dan Kiely, however, said it was an official party function and that Cllr Gorman had been invited to take part in it two months ago. Cllr Gorman denied this.
    "This was an official Fianna Fáil function and it was cleared with the party. We got a very positive response with over 500 supporters attending and I was very happy with how it went. Cllr Gorman might have decided not to have her own rally, but I'm not going to run her campaign," Dan Kiely said.
    Invitations for the event were issued through Seanad Éireann by Senator Ned O'Sullivan as Director for Elections in the Listowel area. The invitation reads: "A chara, I would like to invite you to a special Fianna Fáil Rally and Dance to be held in the Listowel Arms...
    Sen O'Sullivan said he was saddened the 'unified' nature of the party's campaign appeared to be no more, adding: "I am disappointed and saddened by Cllr Gorman's views

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

I met the first FF canvassers tonight, but not the candidate.

dh0661 wrote: »
    I met the first FF canvassers tonight, but not the candidate.

Probably in the Witness Protection Programme, or marking homework.

• Advertisement

The Fianna Fail candidates looking for votes in my neck of the woods have all knocked on the door & rang the doorbell and waited for an answer. Their has been none of them avoiding meeting constituents here.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    The Fianna Fail candidates looking for votes in my neck of the woods have all knocked on the door & rang the doorbell and waited for an answer. Their has been none of them avoiding meeting constituents here.

I''m glad you used the word "neck", because the ones out and about certainly have some, even more so the ones with the pin-prick FF logos pretending that they're members of a different party.

At this stage, they must be in church every day praying for divine intervention.

I''m glad you used the word "neck", because the ones out and about certainly have some, even more so the ones with the pin-prick FF logos pretending that they're members of a different party.

At this stage, they must be in church every day praying for divine intervention.

I had to laugh at that because it really is true here. They have been parking their vehicles in not so discreet spaces while at mass & even wait at the doors near end to meet people as they left the church.

I suppose every little is bound to help :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Antonow and "Patrick" Mbele have my vote.

Not long to go now ... I was even canvassed at work tonight, good laugh so they were.

chupacabra wrote: »
    Antonow and "Patrick" Mbele have my vote.

I heard about this alright. Like some people weren't confused already about who was running & for what besides bringing in candidates who are running for election from outside Kerry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Seeing as its nealry polling day, I thought I'd publish the results of the poll on Kerry News Blog:

Labour 27%
    Fine Gael 24%
    Fianna Fail 22%
    Independant 12%
    Sinn Fein 12%
    Green Party 3%

Looks close enough, but I'd say people not voting for FF would provide transfers for other similar parties, ie. Labour and Fine Gael

poll is here btw http://kerrynews.wordpress.com/2009/04/24/poll-local-elections-2009/ if you want to check the latest results

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

Polls are fine and dandy but when your true green, tried and true FF are marking their ballot to put the mark anywhere except for FF will create such mental anguish and inner turmoil that they will simply do what they always did, and their parents and grandparents did and that is the safe thing, vote FF. As Sonny Brennan (RIP) (pronounced Braynin) used to say the feckin crooks we know are better than the ones we don't know.. Sorry I cannot offer something more positive but that's my take on it.

Hasschu wrote: »
    Polls are fine and dandy but when your true green, tried and true FF are marking their ballot to put the mark anywhere except for FF will create such mental anguish and inner turmoil that they will simply do what they always did, and their parents and grandparents did and that is the safe thing, vote FF. As Sonny Brennan (RIP) (pronounced Braynin) used to say the feckin crooks we know are better than the ones we don't know.. Sorry I cannot offer something more positive but that's my take on it.

We should have set up Fianna Fail Anonymous so that they can be cured of their life-threatening addiction one day at a time. These people need our help to get over the hurdle.:(

• Advertisement

Does anyone want to post where, in their locality, the counting of the votes will be taking place? and if you've really nothing else to do at that time, to post the 'odd' message here keeping us posted of progress & reactions before the official announcements are made.

Advertisement