Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections in Kerry 2009

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

I think he was far from confident, boundary changes took away a fair few of his votes and he was always going to play catchup .... bad news for Killorglin really

• Registered Users Posts: 24,053 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

So the old Kerry County Councillors thrown by the wayside are, according to the RTE site:

Dan Kiely - FF - Listowel
    Ted Fitzgerald - FF - Tralee
    Johnny O'Connor - FG - Killorglin

Pity they don't have the town council election details. Someone posted on the politics.ie forum that one of the Listowel town candidates got zero votes, but for some reason the details were deleted.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

ejmaztec wrote: »
    So the old Kerry County Councillors thrown by the wayside are, according to the RTE site:

Dan Kiely - FF - Listowel
    Ted Fitzgerald - FF - Tralee
    Johnny O'Connor - FG - Killorglin

Pity they don't have the town council election details. Someone posted on the politics.ie forum that one of the Listowel town candidates got zero votes, but for some reason the details were deleted.:eek:

Because it was not true. The poll was topped by Tom Barry SF with 312 votes and the worst any done Non-party candidate Jim Halpin with 64

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Because it was not true. The poll was topped by Tom Barry SF with 312 votes and the worst any done Non-party candidate Jim Halpin with 64

Thanks, someone must have jumped the gun and deleted it when they realised that it was a pack of lies.:D I imagined that Jim Halpin would have done a lot better than 64, but I suppose you've got to start somewhere on your way to global domination.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Kerry now officially have our 1st M.E.P. Sean Kelly, Congratulations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

hope he makes he makes a better MEP than a teacher.

rash wrote: »
    hope he makes he makes a better MEP than a teacher.

He'll be an all round waste of space, with as much experience as the rest of the Teacher/GAA folks, with the added useless qualification of being one of Mrs Enda Kenny's first cousins. I'm only surprised that he didn't get through on the first count.:rolleyes:

The only consolation is that Dana 2 a.k.a. Kathy Sinnott got the boot.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Interyurauldone

ejmaztec wrote: »
    He'll be an all round waste of space, with as much experience as the rest of the Teacher/GAA folks, with the added useless qualification of being one of Mrs Enda Kenny's first cousins. I'm only surprised that he didn't get through on the first count.:rolleyes:

The only consolation is that Dana 2 a.k.a. Kathy Sinnott got the boot.:D

Did anyone hear Kathy Sinnott on the lunch time news yesterday? when asked by Bryan Dobbs what she was doing to stay calm in the run up to the count she replied, minding her grandson, baking and doing some gardening the only thing se left out was going to Mass!! (Dana wont be happy about that!!)

Im disappointed Kelly got in, and my fears about his pedigree were only compounded when I heard his reaction to getting elected "tis like winning the all-ireland" que big cheers from his supporters!! Cringe listening in fairness.

I hope the man proves me wrong.....but i doubt he will.

Did anyone hear Kathy Sinnott on the lunch time news yesterday? when asked by Bryan Dobbs what she was doing to stay calm in the run up to the count she replied, minding her grandson, baking and doing some gardening the only thing se left out was going to Mass!! (Dana wont be happy about that!!)

As well as more minding her grandson, more baking, and even more gardening, she'll have enough time left over for plenty Mass.:D
    Im disappointed Kelly got in, and my fears about his pedigree were only compounded when I heard his reaction to getting elected "tis like winning the all-ireland" que big cheers from his supporters!! Cringe listening in fairness.

I hope the man proves me wrong.....but i doubt he will.

It's only par for the course the way things operate in Irish politics. The way that FG stitched up Colm Burke, one of their long-time politically experienced activists in Cork, by putting this GAA non-entity alongside him proves that all's fair in love, war and politics. If a concrete block had GAA painted on it and was put forward for election it would get in, thanks to the sheep. A very expensive Kerryman joke and an insult to the people who are concerned with having competent representation in high places.

His supporters will get what they deserve, but the rest of us won't.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jim halpin

FIRST OF ALL THIS IS MY REAL NAME. YES I RAN AS AN INDEPENDANT NON PARTY CANDIDATE NOT ONLY IN THIS YEARS TOWN COUNCIL BUT IN 1991 FOR THE COUNTY ON A SINGLE ISSUE TICKET TO TRY AND HIGHLITE THE LIVING CONDITIONS OF THE PEOPLE OF THE BALLYBUNION ROAD AND THE DIRHA COTTAGES AND THE MESSING THAT WENT ON DOWN THROUGH THE YEARS WITH ALL THE PARTIES MAKING EMPTY PROMISES TO GET VOTES FROM PEOPLE WHO UNFORTUNATLY BELIEVED IN THEM. IF ANY ONE WANT'S MORE INFO CONTACT ME AND I WILL FILL YOU IN. NOW BACK TO THE PRESENT AND THE TOWN COUNCIL 2009. I DECIDE 4 WEEKS BEFORE THE ELECTION TO RUN AND HIGHLITE THE STATE OF LISTOWEL TOWNS STREET = CLOSED SHOPS= THE PARKING ISSUES AND HOW THE GOVERMENT BANKS AND DEVELPOERS HAD NEARLY CLOSED ME AFTER 20 YEARS OF TRYING TO BUILD MY BUSINESS FROM SCRATCH. UN FORTUNATLY THE THEN SITTING COUNCIL MEMBERS DID NOT CARE WOULD U IF YOU GOT NEARLY 90K EXPENSES BETWEEN 9 OF YOU!!!!!! I WILL NOT PUT A PARTY LABLE ON MY SELF IF I CANT DO GOOD AS AN NON PARTY THEN I WONT EVEN WASTE MY AND OTHER PEOPLES TIME BY PRETENDING AND HIDING BEHIND A POLITICAL PARTY. I DONE ALL THE CANVAS ON MY OWN DELIVERING 3500 HAND OUTS. I ADOPTED A NO POSTER POLICY AS THERE WAS ENOUGH RUBBISH ON POLES. I HAD 3 PARTIES PULLING AT VOTES IN MY HOME TURF.IE THE BALLYBUNION ROAD AND DIRHA COTTAGES. 2 OF THE THREE CANDIDATES ARE RESIDENTS LIVING THERE WITH THE OTHER CANDIDATE'S FAMILY LIVING THERE ALSO. I LABOUR ELIMINATED 1 S/F ELECTED I F/F ELIMINATED WHOM I FINISHED 20 VOTES BEHIND WHICH IM PROUD OF. YES I POLED SMALL BUT WITH TRANSFERS AND THE 2 = 15 VOTES ARE TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT ITS GONE TO 100+++ . IM RUNNING AGAIN IN 2014 THIS TIME WITH A 4YEAR 11 MONTH CAMPAIGN. ITS A PITY THE PEOPLE WHO WRITE INTO THESE BOARDS DONT PUT THEMSELVES BEFORE THE PEOPLE AS INDIPENDANTS WITH A 4 WEEK CAMPAIGN AND SEE THEIR RESULTS. IF YOU LOOK AT MY TRANSFERS THEY WENT LIKE CONFETTI ACROSS THE BOARD. THERE WAS ONLY ONE CANDIDATE WHO DID NOT GET ONE OF MY TRANSFERS. I EVEN GOT TRANSFERS FROM S/F WHICH IS UNUSUAL BUT THEN AS THE POLE TOPPER WAS MY 2ND COUSIN IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN A FAMILY VOTE WE WILL NEVER NO. ANY WAY ITS ROLL ON 2014.

• Advertisement

jim halpin wrote: »
    FIRST OF ALL THIS IS MY REAL NAME. YES I RAN AS AN INDEPENDANT NON PARTY CANDIDATE NOT ONLY IN THIS YEARS TOWN COUNCIL BUT IN 1991 FOR THE COUNTY ON A SINGLE ISSUE TICKET TO TRY AND HIGHLITE THE LIVING CONDITIONS OF THE PEOPLE OF THE BALLYBUNION ROAD AND THE DIRHA COTTAGES AND THE MESSING THAT WENT ON DOWN THROUGH THE YEARS WITH ALL THE PARTIES MAKING EMPTY PROMISES TO GET VOTES FROM PEOPLE WHO UNFORTUNATLY BELIEVED IN THEM. IF ANY ONE WANT'S MORE INFO CONTACT ME AND I WILL FILL YOU IN. NOW BACK TO THE PRESENT AND THE TOWN COUNCIL 2009. I DECIDE 4 WEEKS BEFORE THE ELECTION TO RUN AND HIGHLITE THE STATE OF LISTOWEL TOWNS STREET = CLOSED SHOPS= THE PARKING ISSUES AND HOW THE GOVERMENT BANKS AND DEVELPOERS HAD NEARLY CLOSED ME AFTER 20 YEARS OF TRYING TO BUILD MY BUSINESS FROM SCRATCH. UN FORTUNATLY THE THEN SITTING COUNCIL MEMBERS DID NOT CARE WOULD U IF YOU GOT NEARLY 90K EXPENSES BETWEEN 9 OF YOU!!!!!! I WILL NOT PUT A PARTY LABLE ON MY SELF IF I CANT DO GOOD AS AN NON PARTY THEN I WONT EVEN WASTE MY AND OTHER PEOPLES TIME BY PRETENDING AND HIDING BEHIND A POLITICAL PARTY. I DONE ALL THE CANVAS ON MY OWN DELIVERING 3500 HAND OUTS. I ADOPTED A NO POSTER POLICY AS THERE WAS ENOUGH RUBBISH ON POLES. I HAD 3 PARTIES PULLING AT VOTES IN MY HOME TURF.IE THE BALLYBUNION ROAD AND DIRHA COTTAGES. 2 OF THE THREE CANDIDATES ARE RESIDENTS LIVING THERE WITH THE OTHER CANDIDATE'S FAMILY LIVING THERE ALSO. I LABOUR ELIMINATED 1 S/F ELECTED I F/F ELIMINATED WHOM I FINISHED 20 VOTES BEHIND WHICH IM PROUD OF. YES I POLED SMALL BUT WITH TRANSFERS AND THE 2 = 15 VOTES ARE TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT ITS GONE TO 100+++ . IM RUNNING AGAIN IN 2014 THIS TIME WITH A 4YEAR 11 MONTH CAMPAIGN. ITS A PITY THE PEOPLE WHO WRITE INTO THESE BOARDS DONT PUT THEMSELVES BEFORE THE PEOPLE AS INDIPENDANTS WITH A 4 WEEK CAMPAIGN AND SEE THEIR RESULTS. IF YOU LOOK AT MY TRANSFERS THEY WENT LIKE CONFETTI ACROSS THE BOARD. THERE WAS ONLY ONE CANDIDATE WHO DID NOT GET ONE OF MY TRANSFERS. I EVEN GOT TRANSFERS FROM S/F WHICH IS UNUSUAL BUT THEN AS THE POLE TOPPER WAS MY 2ND COUSIN IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN A FAMILY VOTE WE WILL NEVER NO. ANY WAY ITS ROLL ON 2014. jhss@eircom.net

What promises did Listowel Town Council make, as a matter of interest, and what do you think should be done re the parking/empty shops? It's obvious that with the streets, they should just get the feckin' things fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Please! Do not write an entire post in CAPS. It is very difficult to read and rather annoying.

Also - do not include personal email addresses in your posts. If someone wishes to contact you, they may do so via PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jim halpin

hello listowel town as you know acquired pay parking about 8 years ago approx. i was chairman of the listowel business and retail assocation at the time and we were told by the then council that they were bringin in pay parking as it was a fact of life all over the country and we could work with them or against them but it was comming in full stop. we had some meetings and decided it might be better and try and negoiate which we did to a point. we managed to keep the car parks free of charge and had it at 50c p/2 hr i think. we also got a guarantee not in writing of course that the revenue that was taken would be used for land scaping street scaping putting esb cables under ground etc. they took something like 50k first year now they are taking 160k and its 2e/p2hr. now in fairness we have had 2 very good traffic wardens inc this present one who uses their heads and the only time iv seen him give tickets is when non commercial taxed cars are parked in loading bays and trucks or cars are on yellow lines or people who abuse wheel chair bays. now we have 1 car park pay to park no 1 hour free as you have in abbeyfeale newcastle west and dromcolliher all patroled by one traffick warden. no saturday free. they wont let shoppers know that the week before x mas is free they put 160k of parking fees in to balance the books because of a short fall i think either last year or the year before. we have a super loo thats costing 40k a year to rent and making under 2k people are using the 2 shops on the J.B.K road maybe on price and or parking or both and also the store on market st. again parking we have the mart area going derelect and crying out for ????????????. it will be intresting to see what the new regime will come up with and keep an eye on the expenses. our biggest danger is that now they have taken over the x mas lighting fund and putting up the lights thew are saying if the saturday is free then its lost revenue will have to come out of the lighting fund. again it will be intresting to see what will happen. f/g were promising the saturday parking free before the election but the chambre of comm. will have to sink the teeth in further now more so than ever. i see there was a survey of the roads being done last week. the big problem with listowel and the rates are the catchment is getting smaller and smaller with so many shops closed god only knows what we will pay next year what is left of us trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

newman10 wrote: »
    Mid Kerry people, what happened to Porridge. Was he too confident ????

Maybe he pitched it too low-key. He promised to rid Glenbeigh of coastal erosion, and only had the one life-sized cut-out of himself on Killorglin streets.

Seriously, his loss cannot be good for Killorglin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

jim halpin wrote: »
    hello listowel town as you know acquired pay parking about 8 years ago approx. i was chairman of the listowel business and retail assocation at the time and we were told by the then council that they were bringin in pay parking as it was a fact of life all over the country and we could work with them or against them but it was comming in full stop. we had some meetings and decided it might be better and try and negoiate which we did to a point. we managed to keep the car parks free of charge and had it at 50c p/2 hr i think. we also got a guarantee not in writing of course that the revenue that was taken would be used for land scaping street scaping putting esb cables under ground etc. they took something like 50k first year now they are taking 160k and its 2e/p2hr. now in fairness we have had 2 very good traffic wardens inc this present one who uses their heads and the only time iv seen him give tickets is when non commercial taxed cars are parked in loading bays and trucks or cars are on yellow lines or people who abuse wheel chair bays. now we have 1 car park pay to park no 1 hour free as you have in abbeyfeale newcastle west and dromcolliher all patroled by one traffick warden. no saturday free. they wont let shoppers know that the week before x mas is free they put 160k of parking fees in to balance the books because of a short fall i think either last year or the year before. we have a super loo thats costing 40k a year to rent and making under 2k people are using the 2 shops on the J.B.K road maybe on price and or parking or both and also the store on market st. again parking we have the mart area going derelect and crying out for ????????????. it will be intresting to see what the new regime will come up with and keep an eye on the expenses. our biggest danger is that now they have taken over the x mas lighting fund and putting up the lights thew are saying if the saturday is free then its lost revenue will have to come out of the lighting fund. again it will be intresting to see what will happen. f/g were promising the saturday parking free before the election but the chambre of comm. will have to sink the teeth in further now more so than ever. i see there was a survey of the roads being done last week. the big problem with listowel and the rates are the catchment is getting smaller and smaller with so many shops closed god only knows what we will pay next year what is left of us trading.

might have been a better idea to highlight all of this BEFORE the election :rolleyes:

Advertisement