Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walkers New Flavours - anyone seen them?

• 19-01-2009 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

More specifically, anyone know where I can buy them in Dublin?

Also, Mrs. 6th Sabotage got a nice mail from Walkers because her flavour (onion Baji) was picked but someone had choose a better image. She is getting sent a few things by Walkers including some momento for choosing the flavour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Any idea what flavours got picked? (besides the onion baji)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Sabotage wrote: »
    More specifically, anyone know where I can buy them in Dublin?

Also, Mrs. 6th Sabotage got a nice mail from Walkers because her flavour (onion Baji) was picked but someone had choose a better image. She is getting sent a few things by Walkers including some momento for choosing the flavour.

Shouldn't she have gotten half the money??

Nevermind, it's just the voting stage... but em... shouldn't she get half the money if the flavour wins??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

No if people submitted the same flavour then it comes down to the pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Sabotage wrote: »
    No if people submitted the same flavour then it comes down to the pics.

and some little story to accompany the pic if I remember rightly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 higgo1888

i think builders breakfast is one of the new one's alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Haven't seen them, but tried a few on a trip to England last week

Builder's Breakfast (bf says they're amazing)
    Duck with hoisin sauce (didn't have)
    Fish and chips (weird taste, but nice)
    Cajun Squirrel (spicy, but not hot, nom nom)
    Chilli Chocolate (mank, tasted gone off)
    Onion baiji (didn't have)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The Chilli and chocolate ones are actually alright. haven't tasted the others yet they are availible here anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Londis in Westmoreland Street (the one with Subway in it) sells the new flavours...

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭midgetflynn

I tried all 6 of them on Saturday.
    The Builder's Breakfast one is crazy, the taste sensation is weird!
    The Cajun Squirrel one was nice and spict, but not too hot,it was nice.
    Fish and Chips smelt like fish and chips but I didn't like the taste.
    Chilli and Chocolate was very hot, though not as weird as I thought it would be.
    Duck with Hoisin sauce was nice enough though it was bizarre as it was like eating a Chinese meal out of a bag!
    Onion Bhaji was delicious,my favourite!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I've tried them all too.

My favourite has to be the Builder's Breakfast, with Onion Bhaji in second.

Worst by far was the Chilli and Chocolate.

• Advertisement

Aren't squirrels just ginger rats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭lynchpin

I just tried the Chilli and Chocolate ones and I must say that I am very disappointed. Not much of a chocolate taste and it leaves a strange after taste. :(

Next up, Builder's Breakfast and Cajun Squirrel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 liz51

Where did you get them, has anyone seen them on the northside?

liz51 wrote: »
    Where did you get them, has anyone seen them on the northside?

It took me awhile to track them down but I eventually found them in Londis on Dame Street. I haven't seen them in any Centra or Spar yet.

adrieanne__x mentioned that she picked them up in Londis on Westmoreland St so maybe any of the Londis' on the northside would be your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

I tried the fish and chip ones today.. they were ok, wierd aftertaste didnt finish them and wont buy them again. Cajun Squirrel next :) Strangely my local centra is sellin only 3 of the flavours... squirrel, duck and fish

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭country_gurl

i got them in dunnes yesterday... i got sucked in to their marketing ploy :( bought all six to taste with OH.
    Builders breakfast... ugggh... bad after taste of an egg
    Fish and chips... alriiight but after awhile they smelled like feet
    Cajun squirrel... yum
    Onion bhaji... nice... edible
    Crispy duck in hoisin sauce... mank
    Chilli and chocolate.. quite nice

Clever that they are selling them seperately instead of multipacks, 72c a pop and obv people are going to taste all six

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I've only tried the chilli & chocolate and after one crisp it went straight in the bin. I thought it was disgusting. Tasted like cheap chocolate powder spinkles on crisps. Didn't taste any chilli though, maybe that was just my tastebuds going into shock!!!

Might give the others a got this wknd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Selling them in multi-packs in Tescos now. Picked up a pack this morning, going to do a taste test in the office later!

After having tried Chilli & Chocolate, Cajun Squirrel and Builder's Breakfast, I must say that Builder's Breakfast is by far the nicest.

Cajun Squirrel reminded me of Chicketies (sp) and were lovely but left a strange after taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

I just opened a pack of fish & chips and even the smell of them is rank. I tried two then binned them :(

• Advertisement

Hennybug wrote: »
    I just opened a pack of fish & chips and even the smell of them is rank. I tried two then binned them :(

You're right. The Fish & Chips flavoured ones are pure mank.

I quite liked the duck & hoisin and chilli & chocolate.

Onion Bhaji went down well at the office.

Builders Breakfast and Fish & Chips - VOMIT!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'll eat any crisps or corn snacks. They all rule.
    Or so I thought until I tasted the chili and choclate ones. I tried to get the taste out of my mouth by eating the builders breakfast ones and almost threw up.

They are the most disgusting crisps I have ever eaten in my life.

I'll try the others though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mick_irl wrote: »
    Selling them in multi-packs in Tescos now. Picked up a pack this morning, going to do a taste test in the office later!
    Is this all 6 in the one mulitpack?

I remember having hedgehog flavour crisps years ago.
    HEDGEHOG_CRISPS.jpg

rubadub wrote: »
    Is this all 6 in the one mulitpack?

Nope - 3 flavours (x 2 packs each) in one multi-pack, so you have to get two different multis to get all 6 flavours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/feb/16/walkers-crisps-new-flavours-brooker

In these health-conscious times, potato crisps have a bad reputation. Gone are the days when you could walk down the street cheerfully snuffling through a pack of Smokey Bacon. Try that now and people will stare at you like you're shooting heroin directly into a genital vein.

The standard tuckshop brands of crisps are shameful things, to be eaten in secret on a car journey. Of course, the fey "gourmet" varieties - thicker, hand-cooked "artisan" crisps with flavours such as Aged Stilton and Ambassador's Port - are still considered acceptable by the food Nazis, provided they're served in a bowl at a cocktail party, surrounded by organic vol-au-vents and snobs. That's because our food neurosis is actually snootiness in disguise.

Consequently, the cheap end of the crisp market has to pull stunts to distract you from the crushing social disgrace involved in actually purchasing a bag. Walkers' latest wheeze is a fun competition. Stage one: they ran adverts inviting the public to suggest exotic new taste sensations. Stage two: they chose six finalists, released them into the wild, and asked the public to vote for their favourite. Stage three: the votes are counted and the top flavour becomes a permanent member of the Walkers line-up. We're currently in stage two.

To lend the enterprise some gravitas, on the Walkers website you can watch kitchen surrealist Heston Blumenthal discussing the new flavours as though he genuinely believes they're edible. But are they? As the nation's foremost investigative journalist, I decided to find out, by buying a packet of each and sampling them. It was a mission that would take me to the very heart of a newsagent's and back. Here are my capsule reviews of the six competing varieties:

Builder's Breakfast

There's some confusion over the exact contents of the Builder's Breakfast. On the website, Heston claims they taste of "sausages, bacon, eggs and beans", whereas the packet itself lists "bacon, buttered toast, eggs and tomato sauce". This would imply that even Walkers don't know what they've got on their hands, possibly because the crisps themselves taste of stale fried egg and little else. It captures the feeling of sitting in a greasy spoon, being dumped via text while your food repeats on you. Depressing.

Crispy Duck and Hoisin

A fairly accurate rendition, although if you close your eyes they taste like the standard Roast Chicken flavour might if the "chicken" in them had been killed with a hammer made of compacted sugar. This is probably something Heston actually does in his restaurant.

Fish and Chips

Sounds like a good idea, but think about it: FISH CRISPS. Consequently they smell vaguely infected. Actually eat one and it's like kissing someone who's just eaten a plateful of scampi. Halfway through they belch in your mouth.

Onion Bhaji

The most convincing flavour, but they taste watered-down; as though Heston boiled one tiny bhaji in a swimming pool full of Evian, and then dipped some potatoes in it. It's like a lame TV movie about onion bhajis, starring Adam Woodyatt, with a soundtrack consisting entirely of library music, broadcast directly on to your tastebuds.

Cajun Squirrel

Self-consciously "wacky" and attention-grabbing entry. Walkers are keen to point out that "no squirrels were harmed in the making of this crisp", which is a pity because I had chucklesome visions of thousands of live, screaming squirrels being bulldozered into an immense bubbling cauldron in front of a party of horrified schoolchildren. The flavour itself is truly vile: if they'd called it Squirrel's Blood, everyone would've believed them. They taste precisely like a tiny cat piping hot farts through a pot-pourri pouch into your mouth.

Chilli and Chocolate

Excreted Battery Acid, more like. A boring lunatic with halitosis explains the smell of charred wood to your tastebuds. It's vaguely like the smell you get when you bleed a radiator, but sharper, more disgusting, and worryingly "human". They should've called it "Dirty Protest" instead.

So there you have it. They're uniformly horrible. Worst of all, none are a patch on, say, standard Salt and Vinegar, which has been around since the Cro-Magnon era. Obviously, they should've chosen more ambitiously. Since the squirrel flavour doesn't actually contain any squirrel, they could unleash other tastes you're vaguely curious about, but would never actually eat, like Cyanide and Lemon, or The Late Marilyn Monroe. If they'd bitten the bullet and genuinely released a flavour called Dirty Protest, people would queue round the block to try it, provided the packet carried a prominent guarantee that it was merely a simulation, not the genuine article. (For the record, according to The Encyclopedia of Unusual Sex Practices by Brenda Love [ISBN 0 349 10676 2], "faeces supposedly has a charred or sour flavour but otherwise tastes similar to whatever was consumed". So now you know.)

Or maybe they could've worked on flavours that evoked a time and mood instead of mimicking an existing substance. Who could resist Wartime Romance (cigarettes, lipstick, and railway station)? Or Studio 54 (cocaine, sweat, and Bianca Jagger)? Even Medieval Times (mud, gibbet and wet tunic) would be worth trying.

But no. They didn't dare to dream. So in summary: don't vote for any of them. Spoil your ballot paper instead. Because that's what they've done to these innocent potatoes. The bastards. The absolute unconscionable bastards.

• This week Charlie finished the seventh series of The Shield: "A brilliant final reckoning." He also spent about 97 hours desperately washing the taste of crisps out of his mouth: "The combined effect of all those flavours is like eating 15 bad orchestras made of tinfoil and grease."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Gots to love Charlie Brooker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Terry wrote: »
    I'll eat any crisps or corn snacks. They all rule.
    Or so I thought until I tasted the chili and choclate ones. I tried to get the taste out of my mouth by eating the builders breakfast ones and almost threw up.

They are the most disgusting crisps I have ever eaten in my life.

I'll try the others though.

+1 I'm amazed how this flavour made it into the last six. They are absolutely putrid.

The builders breakfast just has too much going on, and tastes a bit eggy. The onion baji isn't great either - there have been curry flavour crisps before that were better than this. I'm gonna try the other flavours this evening but am not too hopeful. Overall a poor showing by Walkers so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Tried the cajun squirrell, fish and chips and crispy duck and hoisin last night.

Nothing special about them at all.
    I'm going to give the squirrell and duck ones another try later. They didn't have the onion bhaji in stock.

I had read somewhere that the cajun squirrell were a bit spicy. Obviously someone doesn't know what spicy is because I didn't find them to be the slightest bit spicy.

The duck ones were probably the best of a bad bunch, but only because I had never tasted anything similar before. They weren't all that great though.

The fish and chips were basically like watered down salt and vinegar with a hint of scampi. A very mild hint at that.
    I don't get that one either. Potato flavoured potato crisps. It just doesn't make sense.

I found them all very greasy too. The crisps are very thin. Almost see through.

Very disappointing fare altogether.

Also, thanks to the hot checkout girl in super valu for telling me they had them in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

In the betting the onion bajii is clear favourite at 11-10. Chilli and Chocolate isthe rank outsider at 14-1. http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_type&category=SPECIALS&ev_class_id=91&ev_type_id=10969&promo=nov_DousaFlavourWalkers&crea=lnk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Bought a six pack yesterday (actually 2 six packs as the pikey b@st@rds put 2 of each flavour in the bags, so you have to buy 2 six packs to get all 6 flavours).

Onion bhaji and hoisin duck are inoffensive enough - onion bhaji just taste like yellow pack cheese and onion to me though, the taste is too subtle, I think and they don't taste different enough to good ould c+o.

The rest though, Jesus. As noted elsewhere, chili and chocolate is the most vile thing I've ever had in my mouth. I was still tasting it several hours later and shuddering. Builders breakfast are egg flavoured and nothing else, fish and chips smell just bad and cajun squirrel doesn't taste of much, the cajun flavourings are ok but not in a crisp.

Advertisement