Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dryer one week old, broken

Options
  • 19-01-2009 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

bought a creda dryer last sunday, and have put 4 loads in since then, 3 hours+ and still damp. went back to shop this am and said, it's not working, i want a new one . but they say no, they'll send a tec out, who'll do a report blah blah blah. if it's broken he will fix it!!!! what are my rights here i don't wnat it fixed i want a new one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

No, it's up to them I'm afraid. You're not entitled to a new one. You are entitled to a repair though!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Well they would have to verify that there was a fault. Not saying you would, but some people could use it wrong, not plug it in, stick dishes in it etc.

Basically, they can't rely on your say so that it is broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

MarkR wrote: »
    Well they would have to verify that there was a fault. Not saying you would, but some people could use it wrong, not plug it in, stick dishes in it etc.

Basically, they can't rely on your say so that it is broken.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bettedavis

they say, it's nothing to do with us, you have to deal with manufacturer. if you buy something and it doens't do what it suposed to do srely i can say i want a refund. if the tech says it's not broken it's just crap surely i can go back to the shop andy say, this model is crap i want to return it. i'm sick and tired of the customer service i get and yet in my job, when i deal with clients complaints i'm always in the wrong and they're always right and i have to do everything to pacify them.

bettedavis wrote: »
    they say, it's nothing to do with us, you have to deal with manufacturer.

Well in that case they are in breach of consumer law. Your contract is with the retailer, not the manufacturer.

Check out the following
    http://www.consumerassociation.ie/rights.html
    http://www.consumerassociation.ie/rights_retailers.html

• Advertisement

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Well in that case they are in breach of consumer law. Your contract is with the retailer, not the manufacturer.

Check out the following
    http://www.consumerassociation.ie/rights.html
    http://www.consumerassociation.ie/rights_retailers.html

In fact, I would ring them and ask for advice. That way when you do call the retailer, you can say you've been speaking to the consumer association and here's what you want to happen. If they give you any guff, check what they are telling you and if they are in breach of rights, let them know that you will be making a complaint and if they don't make it right, you will be pursuing the issue through the small claims court

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

they say, it's nothing to do with us, you have to deal with manufacturer.
    this is definitely illegal.
    if you buy something and it doens't do what it suposed to do srely i can say i want a refund.
    not necessarily. you're generally entitled to a refund, repair or replacement but under certain circumstances you can ask for a refund. there are no black and white criteria that say when you can and when you can't though
    if the tech says it's not broken it's just crap surely i can go back to the shop andy say, this model is crap i want to return it.
    it depends. the official language is that the goods have to be fit for purpose, as described and of merchantable quality.

so if it does dry clothes but not as quickly as you'd like it could be considered fit for purpose. but if you put it on for the maximum time and the clothes are still wet it might not be. the law allows for cheap crap that doesn't work efficiently but not for things that don't work at all

maybe you overloaded it. try a smaller load and see how it does with that

as with everything with consumer law it's about what's reasonable. if they insist on repairing it and either find nothing wrong or the repair doesn't meet your expectations and they still won't do anything, you can take them to the small claims court for €15 and have a judge decide if you should get a refund. most businesses don't even bother showing up to the court because it would cost them more to get a lawyer than refund the customer so you'll likely win by default

so the tech came this am and i spent 2 hours with my dryer in 8 pieces on my kitchen floor (i bought it on sunday ffs!) he basically took the insides out and replaced it. he said if it still took 2 hours to dry i should ring creda and they should replace it. he was a nice fella but i can't help but think he was jsut trying to placate a mental woman. so i put in the half soggy clothes from last night and an hour later......................no better ! i'm on the verge here, i just want what i paid for. surely someone somewhere will take my call, use the common sense to think about it for a minute and say 'ok this woman bought this on sunday, she would not be complaining if she didn't have a problem, i'm sure she has life, better things to do than ring us to rant, she obviously just wants what she paid for, nothing less, nothing more. i'll hit this button here on my computer and we'll send a nice man out with a new machine and our sincere apologies for the hassle'................what do you think my chances are of that happening! i'm even stressed about thinking about the row i'm going to have !........................i feel the takeaway scene in 'falling down' may be re inacted over the next few days! i'll keep you posted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭ChickCool

I think you should breathe, call them with the info you have and if they don't sort it out then think about it. Theres no need getting yourself worked up into a crazy state when they havent told u if youl get a replacement or not

Again, to quote from the Consumer Association website
    "It's not our fault. Write to the manufacturer"

This response is very common, but it is wrong. Your contract is with the retailer, not the manufacturer. Remind the retailer that he is legally responsible for rectifying your problem under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980. If he wants to contact the manufacturer later, that is his prerogative but it has nothing to do with you.

http://www.consumerassociation.ie/rights_retailers.html#not_our_Fault

Are the clothes even warm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

so i put in the half soggy clothes from last night and an hour later......................no better

so is the dryer not working at all? is it just spinning the clothes around and not drying them?

where did you buy it?

me again..............i'm slightly calmer.......it's the prozac ! so the guy changed the insides, and did his report. if there was a box on the page thats says ' working fine, just crap !' i think thats the one he ticked !
    it does dry clothes so they're not lying on the brochure but they've covered themselves by stating 'drying times will vary depending on the fabric type'. apparantly i only own clothes made of himalayan sheep wool cause it ain't happening for me. do not buy a creda dryer. i'm buying everything from argos from now on..................no problems returning goods there. breathe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement