Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trip? - Photography In Prague

• 19-01-2009 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    I know this is a bit last minute but I'm thinking of booking a ticket to Prague on aerlingus as they currently have a sale on (ends tonight). I should have gotten around to this earlier but better late then never.

Anybody interested in going crazy with the camera in prague?
    Feb 25th - 28th / Wed-Sat

Dublin - 16:15 Wed 25 Feb 2009 - Prague 19:45 Wed 25 Feb 2009
    Prague - 15:15 Sat 28 Feb 2009 - Dublin 16:55 Sat 28 Feb 2009

Kyle

(mods, I was going to put this in 'Photographic Expeditions' but it might not have gotten much attention. Seen as this sale is only on for another 8hours, I wanted to get it out to as many people as possible :) )

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

kjt wrote: »
    Hey guys,

(mods, I was going to put this in 'Photographic Expeditions' but it might not have gotten much attention. Seen as this sale is only on for another 8hours, I wanted to get it out to as many people as possible :) )

OK Kyle. I was about to move it, but will leave it until tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Hey guys,
    I know this is a bit last minute but I'm thinking of booking a ticket to Prague

Can't make it Kyle but there are TONS of brilliant places to take pictures. Very picturesque city, enjoy yourself.

Hugh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

It's an unforgettable city, or so friends have said.

This might give some ideas of places to visit, Kyle.

http://yuriawanohara.blogspot.com/2008/06/prague-to-olomouc-written-19-june-2008.html

The white poppy fields will not be in bloom at the moment, but the cake shops are always there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Only for Ireland are playing England on the 28th, I would've gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭TheNorthBank

You'll have a great experience in Prague, but if I can give you one piece of advice I'd advise you to set your alarm and go down to the Charles Bridge just before dawn, it will be absolutely freezing so wrap up warm but it will be worth it because this is the only time you'll get to photograph it without 1000's of people on it. Its well worth it regardless of how many Absinthe's you've had the night before.

Enjoy your trip.

PS, the Hotel Jalta is a lovely hotel and perfectly located for a photography weekend, right in the heart of Prague. I've stayed there a few times now so I can recommend it, and its very reasonably priced if booked on 1800hotels.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Hugh_C wrote: »
    Can't make it Kyle but there are TONS of brilliant places to take pictures. Very picturesque city, enjoy yourself.

Hugh

As Hugh says.

An awesome place that warrants visiting often as there will ALWAYS be places you miss each time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

if you go you should really visit sedlec ossuary, it's a bit out of the city, they do day trips there, have some photos from it and prague in general here

and a bit about sedlec ossuary here. it really is an amazing place, quite eery.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭wasper

Hey guys,
    I know this is a bit last minute but I'm thinking of booking a ticket to Prague on aerlingus as they currently have a sale on (ends tonight). I should have gotten around to this earlier but better late then never.

Anybody interested in going crazy with the camera in prague?
    Feb 25th - 28th / Wed-Sat

Dublin - 16:15 Wed 25 Feb 2009 - Prague 19:45 Wed 25 Feb 2009
    Prague - 15:15 Sat 28 Feb 2009 - Dublin 16:55 Sat 28 Feb 2009

Kyle

There are lots of photography exhibitions & galleries in Prague. You will have fun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

How much are the tickets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Thanks for all the comments guys, I was there a good few years ago but back before I was into the awl photography. Just booked my tickets there, along with venice and budapest. Should be a great two months for my photography, hopefully!

The flights came to €81 incl taxes and handling fee :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Ack. That sounds quite tempting, though I probably wouldn't make it for the entire time. Could you answer a few questions while I think about this further?

1. Are you an axe murderer?
    2. What do you think of axes?
    3. Have you ever murdered anyone... with an axe?
    4. Where were you thinking of staying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I'd trust Kyle not to use an axe on me.

Kyle, Venice is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I would also trust Kyle not to murder me in my sleep Thoie :) Thoroughly nice guy..

Wish I could go, but I'm off to too many places as it is (such a complaint! :) )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If you pick the right days with Ryanair. Flights to Prague is €10 each way flat rate, taxes are free. So that's €20 euro flights + whatever the booking fee is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

What about to turn it into Boards Photography Czech Beers outing?
    I am very opened to this idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Thoie wrote: »
    Ack. That sounds quite tempting, though I probably wouldn't make it for the entire time. Could you answer a few questions while I think about this further?

1. Are you an axe murderer? I don't think so.... Mwuahaha
    2. What do you think of axes? I like them as much as the next guy, great for chopping the firelogs
    3. Have you ever murdered anyone... with an axe? Nope, not with an axe!
    4. Where were you thinking of staying? I was thinking hostels but after TheNorthBank suggesting 1800hotels it looks like 3* hotels can be got for as cheap as 20-40 per night... will look into it in the next few days

Damn, that's pretty sweet about Ryanair, I should have Czech'ed them out. (haha, that was terrible but come on... you sort of smiled, right?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

Been researching Prague & hoping to go in May....:o
    Here are a couple of links you may be interested in.:)

Observation tower close to the Castle
    http://www.pragueexperience.com/places.asp?PlaceID=604

Best Bar/Club in town next to Charles Bridge
    http://www.pragueexperience.com/places.asp?PlaceID=392

You should check out Google earth where there is a lot of info too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

ThOnda wrote: »
    What about to turn it into Boards Photography Czech Beers outing?
    I am very opened to this idea!

Yeah but I can't take any time off work until 1st April, earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

You'll have a great experience in Prague, but if I can give you one piece of advice I'd advise you to set your alarm and go down to the Charles Bridge just before dawn, it will be absolutely freezing so wrap up warm but it will be worth it because this is the only time you'll get to photograph it without 1000's of people on it. Its well worth it regardless of how many Absinthe's you've had the night before.

Enjoy your trip.

PS, the Hotel Jalta is a lovely hotel and perfectly located for a photography weekend, right in the heart of Prague. I've stayed there a few times now so I can recommend it, and its very reasonably priced if booked on 1800hotels.ie

Stay in bed a bit longer, was in Prague over Christmas and Charles Bridge is all torn up for renovations of the side walls, scaffolding all over it....unless they work at a serious pace I'd imagine its still out of commission!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Damn, that's pretty sweet about Ryanair, I should have Czech'ed them out. (haha, that was terrible but come on... you sort of smiled, right?)

i seem to remember t-shirts, pens, mugs etc
    saying prague, czech me out..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 galwayfotogrfr

A great place for photography. I figured I would take the standard cityscapes and try to make them my own. This sometimes does not work out as well as you would wish but I find that hanging around on corners taking pictures in a documentary style works really well there. All those great buildings are the perfect backdrop to documenting life in Prague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

I've love to go but cash for Feb is going to be tight for me :(

Maybe next time

Advertisement