Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there an clique on boards.ie who are immune to the rules?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

DeVore wrote: »
    I'm still trying to get to the bottom of the weather thing. In fact I am waiting to give one of the people involved enough time to gather their thoughts, at their request.

I have previously put the boot into a number of private forums, a couple where I would hang out too, for conduct outside their forums. But since this isnt seen, its not considered by the (rather blinkered) usual suspects.

Any mod who can show or even truthfully claim I have ever over turned one of their decisions or told them to do so because the target was a friend of mine can take over my position as Admin and I will resign forthwith. I'm not joking about this.

DeV.
    Cheers for the reply Dev, I know people are wondering what is happening with the weather forum but don't want to start a thread about as it could only make the situation worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Jaysus, 100 users on the Weather forum, must be very frosty!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

lol probably all searching for threads that don't exist because I opened my big mouth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Could we keep the S/N ratio as high as possible until dev gets a chance to reply directly to the below please? I'm asking this because there have been a few important points raised in this thread, and I believe the community now deserves a clear reply.
    Any mod who can show or even truthfully claim I have ever over turned one of their decisions or told them to do so because the target was a friend of mine can take over my position as Admin and I will resign forthwith. I'm not joking about this.

Dev, I have answered your questions as directly and honestly as possible. You however have ignored most of the questions I have asked of you. This is not the first time this has happened ... you have demanded answers from me in previous feedback threads and then ignored any questions I have asked of you. This looks like another example of "do as I say, not as I do" from you.

Could I ask that you respond directly and clearly to both myself and the boards.ie community on the following questions please?

1. What is your take on Amp's post (link in my first post)? Why was he not banned/infracted? Should he have been banned/infracted?

2. Do you believe that the rules of boards.ie do not apply to you?

3. If so thats ok. If not, why were you not banned/infracted for personal abuse (link to your post in my first post)? I have seen others banned for a lot less in that particular forum.

At this stage I believe these questions should be answered directly and clearly by you. Personally, I would also appreciate a direct response as I have taken the time and effort to answer anything you have put to me.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You havent answered much, you simply like to cast aspersions with questions. This is my last reply to you.

1. Amp was being silly and OTT for effect. I felt it wasnt nasty or vitriolic in the context and neither did the user referred to. This is feedback, I often let a lot more go here then I would on other forums (Boston, for example!). As for amp/... I demodded him, if you hadn't noticed.... :o)

2. No I dont, nor do I believe I should be held to any higher standards than anyone else. I contend that I have not had any special treatment. As I have said, I often allow long standing posters with good reputations much more room then blowin's with attitude. If you think thats a "clique" you are wrong. I have allowed things from Merc, Boston and others who would quite strongly attest they are not part of any "clique".

3. I believe I have answered that above.

I believe you are a troll now. A few pages back you said you wanted to apply for the CM job (dont bother, I would put my adminship on the line in a "him or me" fashion rather then have you anywhere near this site). Then you posted saying "where do I send my CV" when on every forum there is an announcement explaining where to send it. That STINKS of troll.

I also believe you dont believe a word of what you are saying and you are saying it simply to put yourself centre stage. I wont be answering any more of your questions and this thread has a set lifespan from now.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I believe you are a troll now. A few pages back you said you wanted to apply for the CM job (dont bother, I would put my adminship on the line in a "him or me" fashion rather then have you anywhere near this site). Then you posted saying "where do I send my CV" when on every forum there is an announcement explaining where to send it. That STINKS of troll.

I also believe you dont believe a word of what you are saying and you are saying it simply to put yourself centre stage. I wont be answering any more of your questions and this thread has a set lifespan from now.

DeV.
    Well said, that man.

I'm surprised this thread has been allowed carry on for so long. I thought most sensible people didn't feed trolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,106 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I have come to the conclusion that Gandy is studying for the priesthood (that would be the new priesthood)

Certainly has a vocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Err thats Gandy23 !!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

gandalf wrote: »
    Err thats Gandy23 !!

Maybe after the first 22 kids you should have tried contraception.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I'm still trying to get to the bottom of the weather thing. In fact I am waiting to give one of the people involved enough time to gather their thoughts, at their request.

I have previously put the boot into a number of private forums, a couple where I would hang out too, for conduct outside their forums. But since this isnt seen, its not considered by the (rather blinkered) usual suspects.

DeV.

is every single person that thanked this post a mod?

if it was that's pretty damn funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

ntlbell wrote: »

I'm a mod (hi!) and I thanked it to say "Dev has never asked me not to ban someone". Wouldn't surprise me if some of the others were the same. How unlike you to be so cynical :)

tbh wrote: »
    I'm a mod (hi!) and I thanked it to say "Dev has never asked me not to ban someone". Wouldn't surprise me if some of the others were the same. How unlike you to be so cynical :)

I'll let you guess why i thanked this post.

I'd have to care to guess, tho. You can see the bind I'm in.

I'd have to care to guess, tho. You can see the bind I'm in.

We all have our problems

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I swear to god, if this turns into another stupidly long thread about who thanked what post and how malicious it was trying to be-

can we have a lock now?

We all have our problems

Kudos to you sir! you got the last word, and in such fine style.

Overheal wrote: »
    I swear to god, if this turns into another stupidly long thread about who thanked what post and how malicious it was trying to be-

can we have a lock now?

wtf are you talking about?

Kudos to you sir! you got the last word, and in such fine style.

ty+1

What about the clique on this thread moaning about cliques on Boards?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Seanies32 wrote: »
    What about the clique on this thread moaning about cliques on Boards?

Damn straight.

Are you looking for recruits for your moan about the moaners?

• Advertisement

Nope I was one of the first to thank it and I'm not a mod and I think its fair to say I never will be:(

Villain wrote: »
    Nope I was one of the first to thank it and I'm not a mod and I think its fair to say I never will be:(

One day brother, One day.

LOL I don't think so although Villain is not Irish1 :D

Oh and kinda on topic, will there be a post or thread when the weather situation is sorted?

Damn straight.

Are you looking for recruits for your moan about the moaners?

Nah, you do a good enough job of that yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,106 ✭✭✭✭muffler

gandalf wrote: »
    Err thats Gandy23 !!
    With the capital G yes :)

Seanies32 wrote: »
    Nah, you do a good enough job of that yourself.

I did? when?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

:eek:

WTF is going on here.

Vexxie is going to have to come in and sort this shít out so he is.

DeV is fair pissed off I'd say.

Will wield the axe.

I'm off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Overheal wrote: »

can we have a lock now?

Why not just leave the thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Because he's got more brown nosing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭corkstudent

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    I was going to start a "help desk" thread about this, but I'll post here in "feedback" because I'd genuinely like to hear the community response to this issue.

We've already established that its ok for an Admin to indulge in personal abuse. Fair enough, the site belongs to the Admins and they can do whatever they please and cannot be banned/infracted.

But should others be immune from the general rules of boards.ie? If so, why is this allowed? Should not the rules of the site be applied equally to everyone? I've heard it said many many times on this site that mods are just regular users outside the forms they moderate and are subject to the rules of those forums. But is this really true or are some people here members of a clique to whom the rules do not apply?

An example of this is contained in another active feedback thread. A user called another poster a "****ing moron", and nothing seems to have been done about this (I'm open to correction on this). I've seen others banned and infracted for a LOT LOT less than this.

So, over to the community to discuss.

And just to add, the last time I started a thread like this I got a lot of personal abuse and attacks. I'm asking a genuine question and looking to start a genuine debate/discussion. Please, if you feel like contributing to this thread refrain from personal abuse and try to look at my question objectively. Objective feedback is what makes this community stronger, and sometimes it takes a real friend (not a "yes" man fanboi) to tell someone something they need to hear. This could be a good starting point for the new community manager, and I am genuinely interested in what the community has to say about this.

Mods or admins are allowed do as they please. In my experience boards mods are scumbags. I am not saying they all are, or always have to be. But they will most likely not improve their behaviour - you are simply not allowed protest their decisions, even when they are demonstratably wrong. They are allowed to make public comments that derail threads as part of their "Moderation", but you are not. What is the ****ing point of being a "Moderator" if you're doing that.

It's ridiculous. I'm still waiting for a major rival forum to come about but it's not happening, and my own attempts never went anywhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement