Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there an clique on boards.ie who are immune to the rules?

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

1. Are you saying there is a clique?

2. Do you consider me to be generally abusive? Because you've said some fairly harsh things here that I'm trying to discover if you really mean them or are you simply trolling, which I am tending towards because of you repeated avoidance of really getting down to specifics and generally seeming to only answer the provocative questions and points.

3. Where did I abuse you? (as you claimed above).

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Overheal wrote: »
    The point I was trying to make was ironic humour. Lighten up :)

Card: "I'll post what I bloody well like!"

Thead: "I can post how I bloody well please"

Ironing. It was pure coincidence it looked like your former avatar.

Yeah you just don't get the recovering goth thing do you ?

But really hush now we are derailing the thread and Devore and I and I am sure many other wait with baited breath for Gandalf23 to show us where this awful thing has been happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

DeVore wrote: »
    Sorry, I should be clear ...Yes that was personal abuse and I shouldnt have. I was wrong.

Fair play for admitting that.
    However, this is feedback and I allow a lot more language here then I would elsewhere and I wouldnt have banned say, Boston, for posting that post so I DONT feel like I'm giving myself special treatment. (I take it you dont consider Boston to be in the "clique", or do you?).

Its a crazy precedent to allow that level of personal abuse in feedback.

Are you really saying its NOT bannable to call someone a "cnnt" here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

I have a film to watch. Che! :)

You are all a ball of nice lovely things.

<3

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Yeah you just don't get the recovering goth thing do you ?
    At least you've admitted you have a problem and are getting help.

*runs away* :pac:

• Advertisement

1. Are you saying there is a clique?

I realise you may not have read the entire thread. I originally asked a question about cliques. I dont know if there were cliques on boards.ie, and nowhere in this entire thread have I said they exist. Tbh, I now think they do exist (a lot of very experienced posters have said they exist), and thats not a bad thing in itself. Cliques only become a bad thing when the members of the clique get preferential treatment. I think that might be happening, and I have given an example in my op.
    2. Do you consider me to be generally abusive? Because you've said some fairly harsh things here that I'm trying to discover if you really mean them or are you simply trolling, which I am tending towards because of you repeated avoidance of really getting down to specifics and generally seeming to only answer the provocative questions and points.

I consider you to be somewhat abrupt but I would not say overtly abusive. I also believe that you are a poor leader. I would never set standards for people that I was not willing to adhere to myself. Its very bad form to aspire to a lower level of behaviour for yourself than you set for others.
    3. Where did I abuse you? (as you claimed above).

Perhaps not "abuse" as you define it, but certainly designed to get a reaction ...

I dont think you have a point. I think what you have is a vague whinge.
    I shouldnt have called him a cnut its true but everyone makes mistakes. Everyone but Gandalf23 of course.

I have answered your questions honestly. Can I ask you a few questions?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I asked you if you are saying there is a clique. Stop the evasion and answer the question.

DeV.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58653524&postcount=30

:> Boards

tbh most of you lot are petty fuking idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Whatever you think of me I was making valid feedback which I thought might inspire a discussion.

Actually, it just seems like your asking the same stuff over again, because you know it'll provoke a reaction.
    This is the kind of thing the new community manager will be asking btw.

I'd sincerely hope they would have better things to do than constantly be tilting at windmills.

I asked you if you are saying there is a clique. Stop the evasion and answer the question.

DeV.

Yes there are and you know it now give it a break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yes there are and you know it now give it a break.

He's asking Gandalf23 for his opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

WTF?

DeV, this is my problem .. you are backtracking and I'm all confused now. Could you explain this ...
    I don't think what I said to him was abusive.
    Yes that was personal abuse and I shouldnt have. I was wrong.

And could you also explain this ...
    It was certainly angry and harsh but did I call him names?
    I shouldnt have called him a cnut its true but everyone makes mistakes.

Also I have the following questiond for you deV;
    1. Do you think its a good thing to have cliques that get preferential treatment on boards.ie? (I'm not saying they exist definitely, but do you think its good if they do exist?)
    2. Is it now acceptible to call a poster a "cnnt"?

I replied to you and answered all your questions ... will you now do the same for me?

Earthhorse wrote: »
    He's asking Gandalf23 for his opinion.

And?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I've read numerous threads on this issue and the result is always the same!

What I have learnt in my time here is that there is a a certain group you could call a "clique" but they are simply friends, some who may have met through boards or known each other outside the interweb!

So when these people get posting in the same thread it can seem like they are taking over or whatever but they are just simply having banter amongst each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

And?

Gandalf23 is avoiding giving a direct answer.

Honestly? I dont know, but based on this thread I think there probally are cliques here. And I suspect certain members of certain cliques are getting preferential treatment. I asked that question in my op and looks like nobody here (including yourself) wants to address my question ...

Thats all based on the posts in this thread. Before you (or anyone else) respond to me have a look above at all the people who say there are cliques here.

If you define clique as a group of people which you are not a part of being friendly with each other, then yes, there are cliques here.

No, they dont get any special treatment here as far as I am aware.

Happy now?

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Finally! :pac:

Now, move along.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    I consider you to be somewhat abrupt but I would not say overtly abusive. I also believe that you are a poor leader. I would never set standards for people that I was not willing to adhere to myself. Its very bad form to aspire to a lower level of behaviour for yourself than you set for others.
    That is low.
    In my opinion, DeV (and the other founders of boards) are unsung heros of the Irish internet.
    DeV never speaks down to anyone who doesn't deserve it and has certainly to me always kept himself on the same level as anyone else here. There are smaller sites out there where users would be fapping for a week if they got a direct reply from an admin, not boards.

Before you say it, I'm not ass licking, I just really respect what he's done for the community here.
    In my experience here DeV is also the first to put his hand in the air and admit when he's got something wrong, and that, above all, has earned him my respect.
    2. Is it now acceptible to call a poster a "cnnt"?
    If I were to give my opinion on that comment then I would get banned from feedback, possibly the whole site. C'mon give it a rest.

• Advertisement

Of course there is a clique.

Anybody with a modicum of intelligence could see that.
    cornbb wrote: »
    I think you're right, there is a bit of a clique.
    stovelid wrote: »
    Cliques - or something similar - are pretty inevitable if you have a large number of people (who have been here a long time), and who also know each other in real life. Why invest them with worth? An ignored clique is just a bunch of sad people.
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    There are several cliques on this site, we also call them communities.
    Your point was valid and true. There are circles within circles on boards, that is just the way things pan out. If you say for example that there are 5,000 active members, and thats a hell of a lot of people, then boards will imitate life. Friends have friends. Mods have friends etc.

I didnt have time to do a proper search of all the posters who agree there are cliques here (and again, I'm not saying this is a bad thing)... here are just a few for now ...

I'm saying that it is bad when cliques get preferential treatment, and my op was asking if this happened on boards.ie.

I hope this clarifies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

There are cliques in schools, colleges, workplaces... even within families and groups of friends.

It isn't beyond the realms of possibility that there could be cliques amongst the thousands of people active on boards.ie.

I am intrigued to know which "rules" you think people are immune to? The rules that the admins of the site set for general fair play and ease of running of one of the largest websites in Ireland, perhaps?

I do believe DeV and the other admins are allowed to have off-days, or snappy moments. They're human beings. But, because they're admins, they're somehow expected to be above scrutiny and always, always behave in a whiter-than-white fashion, never lose their cool....

I'd hate to be an Admin, if I'm brutally honest, I'd feel like I'd be pulling splinters out of my arse for all eternity from sitting on the fence so as not to envoke the wrath of the morally outraged.

If you define clique as a group of people which you are not a part of being friendly with each other, then yes, there are cliques here.

Actually, thats one definition of a clique, but there are others.

Have you seen my post above where I quote those that say cliques exist on boards?
    No, they dont get any special treatment here as far as I am aware.

Happy now?

I'm always happy! I'm a happy guy.

But I'm not satisfied with your answer. How do you explain how amp was treated in the example given in my op? You have skillfully avoided that question.

You have also avoided my other questions when I answered yours. Any chance of an answer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

There are some cliques but tbh that doesn't mean crap. There's cliques in all walks of life from family to work so to think Boards would be immune from it would be silly. I do know of the clique(s) you talk about op but I just ignore them because like any other clique, you'll just have some mong snapping at your heals if you speak against another member and whlie it's good to vent as such, it's a wasted breath.

As for your comments about DeVore, I think they are truly unwarranted. From what I have seen, he is the most active poster of the admins and his insight into topics, from gaming to how the site is run etc, is generally very well thought out and usually means what he says rather then some PC bull**** that you might expect from someone in his position.

embee wrote: »
    There are cliques in schools, colleges, workplaces... even within families and groups of friends.

It isn't beyond the realms of possibility that there could be cliques amongst the thousands of people active on boards.ie.

I am intrigued to know which "rules" you think people are immune to? The rules that the admins of the site set for general fair play and ease of running of one of the largest websites in Ireland, perhaps?

The very same rules that they themselves are unwilling to follow?

Again, I'm not saying cliques are bad. They are bad when people belonging to the clique get preferential treatment. Have a look at my op and the question I ask. I also give an example to back up the question.
    embee wrote: »
    I do believe DeV and the other admins are allowed to have off-days, or snappy moments. They're human beings. But, because they're admins, they're somehow expected to be above scrutiny and always, always behave in a whiter-than-white fashion, never lose their cool....

Not really. But I would expect them to abide by the rules of the site they themselves own and administer.

Do you not expect that as a minimum?

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    There are some cliques but tbh that doesn't mean crap. There's cliques in all walks of life from family to work so to think Boards would be immune from it would be silly. I do know of the clique(s) you talk about op but I just ignore them because like any other clique, you'll just have some mong snapping at your heals if you speak against another member and whlie it's good to vent as such, it's a wasted breath.

I have no thanks left for today, so "thanks".
    Kinetic^ wrote: »
    As for your comments about DeVore, I think they are truly unwarranted. From what I have seen, he is the most active poster of the admins and his insight into topics, from gaming to how the site is run etc, is generally very well thought out and usually means what he says rather then some PC bull**** that you might expect from someone in his position.

I'm just giving my opinion as I see it. You and many others may disagree, but I'm entitled to my opinion just as much as you are entitled to yours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Actually, thats one definition of a clique, but there are others.

What's your definition of a clique (in the context of this thread)?

SteveC wrote: »
    That is low.
    In my opinion, DeV (and the other founders of boards) are unsung heros of the Irish internet.
    DeV never speaks down to anyone who doesn't deserve it and has certainly to me always kept himself on the same level as anyone else here. There are smaller sites out there where users would be fapping for a week if they got a direct reply from an admin, not boards.

Before you say it, I'm not ass licking, I just really respect what he's done for the community here.
    In my experience here DeV is also the first to put his hand in the air and admit when he's got something wrong, and that, above all, has earned him my respect.

If I were to give my opinion on that comment then I would get banned from feedback, possibly the whole site. C'mon give it a rest.

Steve, I really dont want to make an enemy of you, but I am entitled to my opinion on this. Just as you are entitled to yours.

Just because we disagree doesnt mean we cant respect what the other person is saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Actually, there is one rule that I am immune to. I have permission from at least two admins to break a particular rule.

However, I doubt they'll let me continue to do so indefinitely, so I'm saving it up for a special occasion. Or some time when I'm bored, whichever comes first.

There being only one of me though, I am not a clique.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I have to agree with the majority here your criticism of DeVore is totally out of place. He is a plain speaker but extremely fair in my experience. I really think you need to shut down your PC, go to sleep and look over what you have written tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement