Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there an clique on boards.ie who are immune to the rules?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    Again, I'm not saying cliques are bad. They are bad when people belonging to the clique get preferential treatment. Have a look at my op and the question I ask. I also give an example to back up the question.

Not really. But I would expect them to abide by the rules of the site they themselves own and administer.

Do you not expect that as a minimum?

I read your examples. DeV was losing the cool a bit, but honest to god, he has a right to. The admins aren't a crew of machiavellian geniuses sitting on gold chairs, drinking Dom Perignon and having manicures.... This website is a fantastic resource of information, advice, chat... No ones asking us to pay to use it, and there's a guy whining on a thread that his adblocker, blocking ads which would generate (I would imagine) a fairly small amount of income, is lessening his enjoyment on a thread that, again, is entirely free for him to use. Bloody hell, there are people who toil over boards, helping to keep it running, stopping threads descending into chaos, raising money for a charity that's a direct spin off of boards etc. who don't get paid a penny and do it for the good of the site, the enjoyment of the community, to help out. People are always quick to start screeching if boards is down, boards is slow, they got banned for (in their opinion) nothing, blah blah blah. Some people aren't always so quick to applaud the fact that it takes a lot of manpower (admins and beyond) on a daily basis to keep boards ticking over and not descending into badly managed lunacy.

I am frequently amazed at how DeV et al don't lose the head MORE, if I'm honest.

Just to say, there probably are cliques yes, but this site is 11 years old almost. It started (afaik) as somewhere for a bunch of people (a clique, perhaps?) who played quake and needed somewhere to post to each other.

Best clique evar - those quakeheads from 1998!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Honestly? I dont know, but based on this thread I think there probally are cliques here. And I suspect certain members of certain cliques are getting preferential treatment. I asked that question in my op and looks like nobody here (including yourself) wants to address my question ...

Thats all based on the posts in this thread. Before you (or anyone else) respond to me have a look above at all the people who say there are cliques here.

Can I ask why this bothers you so much?

If people are getting preferential treatment (and I don 't really think it goes on) what is it to you, why do you care?

At the end of the day this is just a message board on the internet, freedom of speech and fair treatment for all if absent are hardly going to affect your life?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Steve, I really dont want to make an enemy of you, but I am entitled to my opinion on this. Just as you are entitled to yours.

Just because we disagree doesnt mean we cant respect what the other person is saying.
    Fair enough, I retract my last comment about saying something that would get me banned, that was wrong of me and I apologise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

gandalf wrote: »
    I have to agree with the majority here your criticism of DeVore is totally out of place. He is a plain speaker but extremely fair in my experience. I really think you need to shut down your PC, go to sleep and look over what you have written tomorrow.

I will stand by what I have written.

I dont know dev from adam... all I can do is judge him by his posts and his conduct on this site. However, I have little respect for someone who believes he is above the rules he himself sets for others.

I'm surprised you dont agree to some extent ... I have seen you argue the same on a few occasions in politics!

Just my humble opinion tho ... cant see that changing anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Threads like this crop up every couple of months at least, so here's a novel suggestion. The next time someone asks if there are cliques on Boards, somebody just answer yes in the first reply and then the thread can be locked. That way the OP can feel vindicated and the rest of us can be spared 200 post long car crash threads. Although I have to say it's compulsive viewing, I can't seem to pull myself away from it.

• Advertisement

embee wrote: »
    I read your examples. DeV was losing the cool a bit, but honest to god, he has a right to.

I am frequently amazed at how DeV et al don't lose the head MORE, if I'm honest.

So you see nothing wrong with the admins of the site expecting a higher standard of behavour from us than they do of themselves?

As a mod of the parenting forum you have an interesting outlook on this.
    Just to say, there probably are cliques yes, but this site is 11 years old almost. It started (afaik) as somewhere for a bunch of people (a clique, perhaps?) who played quake and needed somewhere to post to each other.

Best clique evar - those quakeheads from 1998!

Another mod who agrees there are cliques existing here ...

Can I ask why this bothers you so much?

If people are getting preferential treatment (and I don 't really think it goes on) what is it to you, why do you care?

At the end of the day this is just a message board on the internet, freedom of speech and fair treatment for all if absent are hardly going to affect your life?

I probably care about the same amount as you care about your reply to me ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

this thread is becoming very pedantic.

is it not clear that :

the owner is the owner and makes the rules and in this case is clearly highly respected by seasoned posters

cliques do exist but the popular opinon is that preferential treatment DOESNT exist bar amp's exit speech thread... and in this case it was clear that it was in jest.

mods do break the rules on other fora from time to time but are duly punished akin to any other poster.(see thaedydal's 'rebel without a cause' efforts!)

SteveC wrote: »
    Fair enough, I retract my last comment about saying something that would get me banned, that was wrong of me and I apologise.

Thanks man ... appreciate that.

You really deserve to be a mod on this site. The place could do with a good bloke like you at the helm of one of the forums. I've been saying that for ages :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I will stand by what I have written.

Thats certainly your right.
    I dont know dev from adam... all I can do is judge him by his posts and his conduct on this site. However, I have little respect for someone who believes he is above the rules he himself sets for others.

Well I have known him since 1995 pre-boards.ie and I have an awful lot of respect for him. I have very rarely seen him post something that I fundamentally or totally disagree with and I know he tries extremely hard to be as fair as possible in his dealings with people. If that means he calls a spade a spade then so be it.
    I'm surprised you dont agree to some extent ... I have seen you argue the same on a few occasions in politics!

Yes I do agree to a degree. I also feel you should realise that DeVore, the other admins, the smods, the cmods, the moderators on this site are also all human and can fly off the handle every now and then. Recently I earned a week ban from Photography because I did. What do you want DeVore to site ban himself because he was naughty. Tell you what I'll infract him if you want will that satisfy you?

Again I submit to you that you take a break and sleep on it because very soon we'll be using the soundtrack to the Magic Roundabout for this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

INo ones asking us to pay to use it, and there's a guy whining on a thread that his adblocker, blocking ads which would generate (I would imagine) a fairly small amount of income, is lessening his enjoyment on a thread that, again, is entirely free for him to use.

I really do hope your not referring to me ,I posted about an add not showing because I thought it would be something cult/boards would like to sort out.

Zaph wrote: »
    Although I have to say it's compulsive viewing, I can't seem to pull myself away from it.

Thats why I'm applying for the job for "community manager". Does anyone know where I post my cv?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Thats why I'm applying for the job for "community manager". Does anyone know where I post my cv?

I have a couple of suggestions alright

I probably care about the same amount as you care about your reply to me ...

I was actually interesting in a proper answer but fair enough

Carry on trolling

Again, I'm out of thanks, so "thanks"!
    Well I have known him since 1995 pre-boards.ie and I have an awful lot of respect for him. I have very rarely seen him post something that I fundamentally or totally disagree with and I know he tries extremely hard to be as fair as possible in his dealings with people. If that means he calls a spade a spade then so be it.

Accepted, and I respect your opinion on that.
    Yes I do agree to a degree. I also feel you should realise that DeVore, the other admins, the smods, the cmods, the moderators on this site are also all human and can fly off the handle every now and then. Recently I earned a week ban from Photography because I did. What do you want DeVore to site ban himself because he was naughty. Tell you what I'll infract him if you want will that satisfy you?

Thank you.

I have no interest in getting anyone infracted/banned. My whole point is that preferential treatment for anyone in any society or community is a bad thing. I'm sorry of that upsets people, but hey, I'm calling it as I see it and I'm willing to argue my point as long as I'm being engaged.
    Again I submit to you that you take a break and sleep on it because very soon we'll be using the soundtrack to the Magic Roundabout for this thread.

OK, will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

So you see nothing wrong with the admins of the site expecting a higher standard of behavour from us than they do of themselves?

This is the core of modding here on this site. It is parental, as in I can smoke, but you cant, I can use bad language but you cant, I can have a messy room but you can't.

But why mommy?

Because I said so.

Now dont be cheeky or you'll be grounded another week.

I cant see why some people are so upset with a bad case of the how dare yous about your question. Talk about knickers in a twist. Touchy touchy. Dare I say defensive?

And what is the point of feedback? Nothing ever gets resolved. Someone complains, the moderator gets his or her back up, yadda yadda blah blah blah. Why do you even have it on the site if you arent going to take it seriously?

orestes wrote: »
    I have a couple of suggestions alright

:D

I was actually interesting in a proper answer but fair enough

Carry on trolling

That was a serious answer. Can I ask you why you are replying to me?

May I suggest that you care enough to reply because you are a member of this community and have an opinion that you feel passionate enough to express.

Its the same with me.

I hope thats a proper answer ... its an honest one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I dont know dev from adam...

Clearly cos amp is Adam.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I have no interest in getting anyone infracted/banned. My whole point is that preferential treatment for anyone in any society or community is a bad thing. I'm sorry of that upsets people, but hey, I'm calling it as I see it and I'm willing to argue my point as long as I'm being engaged.

TBH I am at a loss to see what you want then because those checks and balances already exist. On the mod forum and here I have been criticised and called to account for myself if I make bad moderating decisions on numerous occasions. Far from being a hivemind of sheeple its full of people with their own opinions and views based on their life experiences. Some I respect others I cannot stand but with such a varied group of people anything that is fundamentally wrong is certainly addressed all the way up to people being demodded. We can't really de-admin one of the admins as they are the owners but we are very lucky as they take a lot of our suggestions on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

No harm done so ,I'm not a technofobe with the internet so I thought it was me:o

The way things are going at the moment ,everyone is wrong:eek:;)
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Lol, what does my being a moderator of the Parenting forum have to do with this?! I fail to see how my status as a Mod on that particular forum make my points any more "interesting" than anyone elses.

You seem to think that this site is a democracy. It isn't. The admins here, imo, are very fair and objective in their dealings with all posters. There may be an air of familiarity that they have with some posters that they don't have with others, but that isn't preferential treatment and it isn't a clique in action. As gandalf pointed out, he has known DeV since before the existence of boards, in that great utopian paradise, "real life". A lot of the other more seasoned posters would know admins in "real life" or have built up good rapports with them from being actively involved in some way on the site for the past ten years.

Me, I'm a relative n00b and have a lot less posts than I should have considering I'm here 6 years, but I wouldn't think that I'm not part of any "clique" just because I'm not in the February 1998 crew.
    Gandalf23 wrote:

lol, so you think I'm agreeing with the existence of cliques purely because I'm a mod? If I was de-modded and agreed, would you stop with the conspiracy theory air that you've created in this thread?

I said earlier that there are cliques in all walks of life. There is a large cross-section of society represented on boards.ie, so it would logically follow that, amongst the thousands of users active on the site, and the very specific fora that exist, that there might, just might be a few cliques.

Mad, isn't it?
    311 wrote: »
    I really do hope your not referring to me ,I posted about an add not showing because I thought it would be something cult/boards would like to sort out.

I wasn't.

TBH I am at a loss to see what you want then because those checks and balances already exist. On the mod forum and here I have been criticised and called to account for myself if I make bad moderating decisions on numerous occasions. Far from being a hivemind of sheeple its full of people with their own opinions and views based on their life experiences. Some I respect others I cannot stand but with such a varied group of people anything that is fundamentally wrong is certainly addressed all the way up to people being demodded. We can't really de-admin one of the admins as they are the owners but we are very lucky as they take a lot of our suggestions on board.

Again "thanks" and I respect all you are saying.

What am I looking for? Well, I was looking to start a debate/conversation. I should have known better ... I'll admit I've handled this badly at times. I should be better at "feedback" at this stage, being a scarred feedback vet and all.

I'm happy this has run its course ... I cant see anything else productive emerging. Please lock if you see fit.

I'm taking my namesakes advice and hitting the hay ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You are a stranger and a guest here, you are expected to be poilite, wipe your feet and be on your best behaviour until you get to know the place and the people better.

You have despite the amount of time your account has been created for still not cottoned on to some of the basics.

This is a clear example of you not understanding, or failing to understand or not wishing to understand or refusing to accept that what she mods doesn't make any difference in this forum.

Do not make assumptions about posters who mod certain forums or try to use the fact that they do mod certain forums to expect them to behave in a certain manner or to try and make them behave to how you think they should cos they mod certain forums.

That is not how this site works, you can't make it so, it you dont' like it then find somewhere when you can get your mod and admis worship fetish kicks.

Whats wrong boards turning into your school yard play ground with you feeling you have no friends or clique to back you up ?

Lol, what does my being a moderator of the Parenting forum have to do with this?! I fail to see how my status as a Mod on that particular forum make my points any more "interesting" than anyone elses.

You seem to think that this site is a democracy. It isn't. The admins here, imo, are very fair and objective in their dealings with all posters. There may be an air of familiarity that they have with some posters that they don't have with others, but that isn't preferential treatment and it isn't a clique in action. As gandalf pointed out, he has known DeV since before the existence of boards, in that great utopian paradise, "real life". A lot of the other more seasoned posters would know admins in "real life" or have built up good rapports with them from being actively involved in some way on the site for the past ten years.

Me, I'm a relative n00b and have a lot less posts than I should have considering I'm here 6 years, but I wouldn't think that I'm not part of any "clique" just because I'm not in the February 1998 crew.

lol, so you think I'm agreeing with the existence of cliques purely because I'm a mod? If I was de-modded and agreed, would you stop with the conspiracy theory air that you've created in this thread?

I said earlier that there are cliques in all walks of life. There is a large cross-section of society represented on boards.ie, so it would logically follow that, amongst the thousands of users active on the site, and the very specific fora that exist, that there might, just might be a few cliques.

Mad, isn't it?

I wasn't.

Nite nite embee :D thanks for your input to this thread.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    You are a stranger and a guest here, you are expected to be poilite, wipe your feet and be on your best behaviour until you get to know the place and the people better.

You have despite the amount of time your account has been created for still not cottoned on to some of the basics.

This is a clear example of you not understanding, or failing to understand or not wishing to understand or refusing to accept that what she mods doesn't make any difference in this forum.

Do not make assumptions about posters who mod certain forums or try to use the fact that they do mod certain forums to expect them to behave in a certain manner or to try and make them behave to how you think they should cos they mod certain forums.

That is not how this site works, you can't make it so, it you dont' like it then find somewhere when you can get your mod and admis worship fetish kicks.

Whats wrong boards turning into your school yard play ground with you feeling you have no friends or clique to back you up ?

Nite nite embee thaed :D thanks for your input to this thread.

That was a serious answer. Can I ask you why you are replying to me?

May I suggest that you care enough to reply because you are a member of this community and have an opinion that you feel passionate enough to express.

Its the same with me.

I hope thats a proper answer ... its an honest one.

Fair enough and the honesty is appreciated

I guess I am having a hard time trying to figure out what you hope to achieve with this feedback thread

Punshiments or lack of are usually dealt with on a case by case basis, if some people are punished and others not it may depend on the circumstance involved at that time and may not be down to favouritism

If someone is shown favourtism it would be because they ahve done stuff to deserve being treated differently, added to the community in a way that allows them to be cut some slack, this has already been explained better by someone else

But in the same way that someone who is an upstanding member of the community in real life and ends up in court for something gets their character and previous record taken into account so do posters here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

You really deserve to be a mod on this site. The place could do with a good bloke like you at the helm of one of the forums. I've been saying that for ages :D
    Thank you for the compliment.
    In the unlikely event that it ever happened, would your opinion of me change?

Would I then (in your eyes) become one of "them"'?

I hope not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I dont know that I trust someone who cant bother to flesh out their own identity here after 3 years. Call me easily amused but I enjoy being able to distinguish users by Signature and Avatar.

Here Gandydo, a bedtime story: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055461510
    You really deserve to be a mod on this site. The place could do with a good bloke like you at the helm of one of the forums. I've been saying that for ages
    Poor SteveC will never be a mod at this rate :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement