Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any suggestion of a pet for our situation?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

...hmm. hubby and I are still in discussions, problem is that I love her totally...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

CathyMoran wrote: »
    ...hmm. hubby and I are still in discussions, problem is that I love her totally...

My fingers hurt :mad:
    Why the cockatoo thought it was a good idea to do a loop the loop, using its beak on my finger, is beyond me.
    Naughty cockatoo......

smccarrick wrote: »
    My fingers hurt :mad:
    Why the cockatoo thought it was a good idea to do a loop the loop, using its beak on my finger, is beyond me.
    Naughty cockatoo......
    Ahh, but she loves you, she loves both of us...can I tempt you offline? I would do almost anything to have her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Cathy so was is a cockatiel or a cockatoo you saw, seriously you need to do a lot of reading up before getting any bird even people with birds already still read up because there's always something new. If it is a cockatoo that is an even bigger commitment and you also need to have someone the bird can go to in your will as they have such a long life and they can be very difficult as they get older esp. as they mature so someone you know that is good on bird behaviour is important to have on hand.

Think we've all been there with animals we have really grown attached to but we have to be realistic, you would need to think seriously on what you can do for the bird if it's to be left alone all day this alone could lead to boredom and frustration with the bird. Saying that birds do get used to a routine but all in all do plenty of research (sorry I'm repeating myself).

I think one of the most important thing is to have a very experienced bird vet you can go to in emergencies this is so important because they can be hard to find.

Also be wary of household dangers, like teflon and household sprays there are certain things you can't spray in the same area and even scented candles can irritate them. The cage, toys and stands etc can be expensive starting out. There's so much more as well but perhaps chat to some cockatoo owners and discuss with them how they deal with their bird when they have to go anywhere, also consider holidays it's very hard to get people to mind birds even budgies when you go on hols unless your lucky enough to have a relative or friend who isn't afraid of them (you'd be amazed how many people are afraid of birds).

Not trying to put you off just trying to prepare you lol.

I got the bird mixed up, my mistake but we are looking into it seriously, in the end of the day the health and happiness of the bird is our first priority, no matter how attached we are to it. If nothing else we will visit the bird to make sure that it is OK, we love it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Parnassia

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I got the bird mixed up, my mistake but we are looking into it seriously, in the end of the day the health and happiness of the bird is our first priority, no matter how attached we are to it. If nothing else we will visit the bird to make sure that it is OK, we love it.

I have never owned a cockatoo, but have read a bit about them. Please have a look at some websites dedicated to cockatoos before you buy this bird.

http://www.mytoos.com/

That link is quite an eye-opening website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Wow that is a scary website. I had heard that those birds often got severly mentally distressed but had no idea how bad it could get.

Cathy - so sorry for your loss. I know I shouldn't be sticking my oar in, but as a friend of mine very recently had the same experience as you, can I suggest that you wait a month or two before making a decision on a pet? I just know from talking to my friend that she said it took her a month to realise how the whole thing had affected her. She made a few big decisions immediately afterwards, and realised later that they were purely a response to the emotional upheaval.

Sorry - I know this isn't PI, but as you are looking at a lifetime commitment (or longer) with a cockatoo, it may be best to just give yourself some time until you are sure are making the right decision.

Advertisement