Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That's some snow!

Options
  • 19-01-2009 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

Letterkenny's under a blanket. Car was all over the place getting home. In now for the night for sure.

Take her handy on the way home folks.

Edit: Just heard the roads are chaotic. Cars going sideways down DeValera road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

no snow at all in donegal town bit slushy earlier but clear at the moment see what its like on the hillhome soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Its stopped snowing in Letterkenny and the rain has started. A lot of snow few within a few hours. The town is mental, its gridlock at the moment and taking an hour to move a couple of hundred yards (no exaggerating).
    Must have been an accident somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

No accident, just v v v slow. Cars couldn't get up or down the hills, so everything was blocked. I sat for 2 hours in the car and only moved from the tech to the hospital.

4 hours to get from Letterkenny to Ballybofey - surely a record!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

deemark wrote: »
    4 hours to get from Letterkenny to Ballybofey - surely a record!
    4 hours from the hospital to Lifford as well and...

...five and a half hours from Dunfanaghy to St. Johnston for my brother in law. :eek::eek::eek:. He left Dunfanaghy at 3.00 and got to St. Johnston at 8.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

I hear it was pretty bad all right. There was a rake of cars stuck at the roundabout above the tech when my sister was driving home.
    Has it thawed any? There's not a hint of snow down here in Mayo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Bit of snow this morning around the twin towns with a little in the afternoon. Nothing to cause any traffic problems though.

Cant say the same though for the hills around the area. They are WHITE

deemark wrote: »
    No accident

Are you sure, the sister was sitting at jj reids garage for an hour and then the traffic just started moving and was home (out derry road) within 5 minutes.

Also heard a lorry jack-knifed at lurgybrack, not sure if it added to delays anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

oh, maybe so. It wouldn't have helped anyway.

Is it just me or is there a 'sir' missing at the end of the thread title????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Whattheheck

Was stuck at drumkeen for a few hours this evening.
    We have had loads of worse snow storms but I have rarely seen as much mayhem on the roads.
    When I first arrived at drumkeen there were tail backs in all directions with a gritting lorry and two ambulances trying to get through the traffic. Add into that the massive bolts of lightning and the pissing rain !! The whole scene was just unreal.
    On a side note, Highland radio decided to send their staff home and switched to an automated service! For fecks sake this is when people really need info!!!!:mad:

The snow didnt just hit Letterkenny as I heard Dunfanaghy,Creeslough,Milford and Ramelton areas were at a standstill as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭cormthechippy

it was unreal. came down so thick and fast. took me 2hrs 45mins to get from creeslough to letterkenny, a journey which would normally take just 25mins. unbelievable. at times i was considering parking up for the night and hopping into the back of the van for a bitta kip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Was dreadful going home from Letterkenny to Dungloe last Saturday night. Left at 2am, snow was heavy on the roads (fresh aswell so it was worse), slided and skidded across it a few times. Seen cars that were on the side of the road in ditches. Another one crashed into a telephone wooden pole which snapped in half and landed on his car. Happened about 1 min before when we saw him standing outside it shook up. Was ****ing nervewracking. 20kmph for 40km.

I can't imagine what it must be like right now. Glad I came back down to Dublin, although snowfights would have been fun!

We have had loads of worse snow storms but I have rarely seen as much mayhem on the roads.

very true, this time last year we had a similar snow storm, but that day the roads were fairly clear (of traffic, not snow). Seems like today everyone decided to leave their work and head home at the same time the schools were finished.

Anyway, the rain is on now so it should be slush by morning. It is forecasting more snow and a cold week, so maybe not the end of it.

Senna wrote: »
    very true, this time last year we had a similar snow storm, but that day the roads were fairly clear (of traffic, not snow).
    I have photos of that one. ;) It was the first week of January and I think what stopped any chaos was the fact that the schools were still on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

From the AA reports this morning it sounds like there is a lot of snow in the county. Glenties & Letterkenny area supposed to be bad. I suppose this is exaggerated?

sorry didn't see other bthread on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

this thread needs pics, have some from a few years ago when i was living in the mountain top area, its great for one day, the excitment that it brings etc, but if you have to travel any where, then it just becomes a bit of a nightmare

hopeing to spend a few days in letterkenny next week, wouldn't mind seeing some fresh stuff, just for a day though for reasons explained

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Posts merged with snow thread

Glenman wrote: »
    From the AA reports this morning it sounds like there is a lot of snow in the county. Glenties & Letterkenny area supposed to be bad. I suppose this is exaggerated?
    I drove from Strabane to Ballybofey to Letterkenny this morning. The main roads are grand although a bit of care was needed in Drumkeen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

it was unreal. came down so thick and fast. took me 2hrs 45mins to get from creeslough to letterkenny, a journey which would normally take just 25mins. unbelievable. at times i was considering parking up for the night and hopping into the back of the van for a bitta kip!

the brother-in-law was driving from Creeslough to LK, got his car stuck near the little car park in Creeslough (between the petrol station and Roses) so walked back home, jumped into his wife's car.....and that got stuck in the same place :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭cormthechippy

irish-stew wrote: »
    this thread needs pics:D

you got it!!

Sorry the quality is bad. This is between Creeslough and Termon, just after the bend at the Log Cabin pub.
    3212737904_6cda8014a1_o.jpg

Entering Kilmacrennan...
    3212740298_f4d3e5e8ba_o.jpg

Abondoned car, still in Kilmacrenna I think. Saw so many cars just parked and left, even outside towns on the main road!
    3212738520_e1a52317e0_o.jpg

3212739238_f0caa6f2a4_o.jpg

Enjoy!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the photos, reports were not exaggerated so. Whats it like today up there? Has it turned to rain?

Glenman wrote: »
    Thanks for the photos, reports were not exaggerated so. Whats it like today up there? Has it turned to rain?
    Raining in Letterkenny now.

This was taken at 3pm
    19012009027.jpg

This at 4pm
    19012009031.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

irish-stew wrote: »
    this thread needs pics, have some from a few years ago when i was living in the mountain top area...

There is no better place for snow. It will still be in the Mountain Top when the rest of the area has nothing. There's a little micro-climate going on there!

Advertisement