Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

help insurance on english bmw

Options
  • 19-01-2009 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

hi guys im 21 and just bought a 320d 02 from london now i have insurance with quinn direct but i was wondering can i change it over the cover the bmw even though its on english plates? or will i have to get it vrt'd straight away.. also whats the policy with driving on english plates over here? cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

you can change it over to the UK plate and then call them once it's VRT'd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I doubt an insurance company will insure you as the car is not registered in Ireland.

As for the VRT, it has to be paid within 48 hrs or somethin like that...??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭gazman59

48hours seriously so i have to pay 1500 by wends? lovely

Maybe its not 48hrs but it does have to be paid fairly soon.

No doubt someone will be on to tell you exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

obviously depends on insurer .....

getting cover is no prob. . . Mine were willing to cover english plates for 30 days when I bought over the pond...

Would get it VRT'd ASAP tho

'As in the next working day' ;)

• Advertisement

I doubt an insurance company will insure you as the car is not registered in Ireland.

As for the VRT, it has to be paid within 48 hrs or somethin like that...??:confused:
    Well you're wrong, 90% of insurance companies will transfer for you and give you 30 days to change the reg... otherwise how could you bring the car over from the UK... I've done it on 2 cars with Quinn and on both occasions they transferred the policy and didn't even care when I registered the car as long as I was insured to drive it!

They'll insure you for 30 days, exactly.... Its not your full years policy tho is it? i.e. will they insure you for the year on UK plates?

no its just so i dont have to change it over straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

They will insure you on UK plates, they don't care about the VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

steve06 is correct. My insurer FBD said they had no problem transferring insurance onto a yellow plate for up to 30 days.

Revenue rules are that you're to register the car by the next working day. They have also been known to be be flexible and have allowed people up to a week to come back with the check/draft for the VRT amount.

• Advertisement

I was insured for months one one of my cars because there was issues with the V5 for registration. They never even called or sent a letter and when I eventually called them about the new plate they just said "Ah sure it's whenever you get around to doing it"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Quinn will, indefinitely.

The end of the next working day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Maybe its not 48hrs but it does have to be paid fairly soon.

No doubt someone will be on to tell you exactly.

You don't have 48 hours, you have to VRT it by the end of the following business day after you imported it.

so say i get the insurance for the 30days! what are the repercussions for not gettin it vrt'd until the 30 days are up?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If you got caught and they didn't let you off they could impound the car and not give it back to you until the VRT is paid in full + penalties etc.

I think once you don't take the piss with the VRT they will be reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

gazman59 wrote: »
    so say i get the insurance for the 30days! what are the repercussions for not gettin it vrt'd until the 30 days are up?

You'll be driving without tax, and also with an improperly registered vehicle. The Gardai can take the car off you for the first one, and Customs can take it off you for the second one. They don't necessarily have to give it back, and you can face hefty fines.

You shouldn't have bought the car, if you couldn't afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

gazman59 wrote: »
    48hours seriously so i have to pay 1500 by wends? lovely
    No its not.i didn't pay mine for ages. Which was probably wrong thing to do, but I never got pulled up on it It will need to be registered with Irish Plates to get Insurance

KateF wrote: »
    No its not.i didn't pay mine for ages. Which was probably wrong thing to do, but I never got pulled up on it It will need to be registered with Irish Plates to get Insurance

Legally its due within a short time anyway. Some say by the next day?

So if you dont pay it by then, technically isnt it tax evasion? And like someone else said, you wont have any tax on the car either.

na its not i cant afford it just the omsp mite come down in the time that im waiting ya no. sapose it would be best to get it registered asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Sapose it would.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,004 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you've got an Irish insurance disc on the car customs are far less likely to believe any excuses too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

MYOB wrote: »
    If you've got an Irish insurance disc on the car customs are far less likely to believe any excuses too...

UK cars have no requirement for an insurance disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Quinn will insure you for the year with the yellow plates. No requirements at all to change them over.
    Also once the car has a valid tax disk don't worry about the guards. They just presume your from the north.
    For anyone buying a car in the UK or the North, get the garage you buy the car from to tax the car. If it seals they deal they will have no hesitation in doing it. You then have basically a year to pay the VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Also once the car has a valid tax disk don't worry about the guards. They just presume your from the north.
    Absolute rubbish, i'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Ring Quinn direct, they are the only Irish insurance company that will insure a UK plate, even if you live in Ireland... that's how Sean makes his money ;)

Guarantee you they will insure it.

testicle wrote: »
    UK cars have no requirement for an insurance disk.

I know. Relevance of your post? None.

If you're driving a UK registered car with an Irish insurance disk in the window you are asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

How much is the VRT on a 02 320d?

Gallant_JJ wrote: »

Not any more they don't - customs checks are getting ever more frequent. Dangerous "advice".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Anan1 wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish, i'm afraid.

Experience , I'm afraid.

Advertisement