Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know what this chord is?

Options
  • 19-01-2009 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to write a tune but I'm looking to throw the guitar down onto a piano (can't figure out what the name of this chord it, some version of Dm anyway...)

x

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

According to here it's an F maj13(no 5th).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

Thanks for the site, gonna be useful...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭-=al=-

sounds very d minor though

guess off the top of my head is Dm sometihng, probably cause the D is the lowest, but yeah fmaj13 works too but theres no c which is yup the 5th which confuses me technicaly is shudnt be maj13 if theres no 5th

oh well, if it sounds good use it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

'tis a D minor chord with an added major 9th and a major 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 leon45

Well, a 5th is the least important not of a chord

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

? after the root the 5th is the second most important note!! Suppose it's all relative though

Surprisingly the order of importance goes

1. Extensions/Altereds
    2. 7ths
    3. 3rds
    4. Root
    5. 5th

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭-=al=-

wheres that list comin from, i would have the 5th as the next important note in a chord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

LEON45 Whats the tonic doin at 4 on the list?! ,,,(the whole country's gone mad) did something change while I was out..Where does this list come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

it is not an f chord since d is the bass note (there's no lower f) and in guitar terms the chord is d minor played at the fitht fret with an open g string(major4/11th) and open e string (major 9th) which has a lovely sound over the minor 3rd(f natural) becasue the e rings out as it's an open string which creates a kind of dissonance with the f just a semitone above but the rest of the chord anchors the f tonally so you get a lovely spacey sound. also i don't what the bit in the tread about the 5th being the least important note is all about, what has the original question or subsequent posts got to do with the fith?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Big Wave

Armelodie wrote: »
    ? after the root the 5th is the second most important note!!

The 3rd distinguishes between major & minor, so it's more important than the 5th.

Notes of importance are defined by the how much it lets you know about the mode the chord is in

ie an extension or altered could let you know what mode the chord is in staight away - (eg sharp th would tell you it's in lydian)

a 7th can tell you if the chord is in a major minor or a domiant mode

a 3th can tell you if the chord is major or minor

Root tells you little

a 5th tells you absolutely nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

PROTIP: your tab is upside-down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

No, your monitor is...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

It's a double suspension on D minor - added notes of 2 and 4 that theoretically would resolve back down to the 1 and 3 of the tonic triad. It's pretty much a regular sus4, but with an added note and in a minor key.

Advertisement