Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rover P6

• 19-01-2009 6:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭

Are there any Rover P6 fans on here?

I have been checking out ads for sale for them recently. Having learnt to drive in a 2000TC in the 80's I wouldn't mind owning one at some stage. I have resisted going to look at any yet, until I have put some money away for one.

There seems to be plenty of V8's around, but not as many 2000's, and prices seems quite good in the UK at the moment.

Has anyone got one they use regularily, or brought one in recently?
    Are there many Irish reg ones left?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Motormouth

My dad has a 1968 P6 3500 series one. Great car, never gives trouble, even though it sometimes goes months without being used.......
    Ya can't beat the V8 sound either......:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

A great car,way ahead of their time,a friend has one on a ****ZB reg,and i saw one recently that had a diesel engine from a montego fitted.
    Go for it..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

I normally see a couple in show room condition in the Waterford area in the summer. One is a 2200TC same as my father used to have for years. Great cars but they do need a lot of maintenance but think thats the same for all old Rovers. Seem to remember the 2200TC would run quite smoothly at 120mph so wtf the 3.5 goes like I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭spidersonmars

Davecol

I'm no expert but I had 3 P6s in the last four years. I had a 2.2SC, a 3500 Auto and a currently have an 3500S. I think Junkyard had/has a 3500VIP. Feel free to PM Me. Two of the cars were sourced in the UK. Irish cars tend too be overpriced, however the standard of Irish cars (IMO) is better on average as the cars imported tend to be LOOKED AFTER CARS.

Junkyard may have better knowledge on P6 as he's in the business.

Go for a TC (Twin SU Carb) rather than an SC Single Carb)if your not into the V8s. Their not that slower than a standard V8, but still drinks the juice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭DaveCol

Thanks guys.

I would love a V8 especially if it was a 3500S, but I am more inclined to go for either a 2000 or 2200TC.

My Dad's 2000TC is still around, but has been off the road for a few years. I was thinking of asking him about getting it back on the road, but the prices of UK ones I suspect are a lot lower than what would need to be spent on sorting his out.

I remember it being a reasonably quick car, very comfortable on long runs, although the reality may be different because that is probably 20 years ago now!

As I say, early days yet, but I have to say I am very tempted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭DaveCol

Out of interest what is a 3500VIP?

A 3500VIP is an end-of-line VIP model with all extras and a unique interior (77 built) I think it came in only two colours, silver and brown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Hey Dave,

Funny thing. I was about to post about a P6 when i saw this one.

About 6 or 7 years ago, my oul lad bought a 72 P6 2000 TC from an elderly man who brought it home with him from the UK. It had been garaged for 10 years or so, was mint and only had 42000 miles on the clock. Even the leather seats were like new.

He bought it for 1500 quid, after two years of it, he sold it for 4250.

That was a good while ago, i hadn't seen it around since until i spotted it on the side of the road with a for sale sign in it.

I stopped and had a look at it, it wasnt as clean as she was when we had her, there's now a few signs of rust on one of the panels, but apart from that nothing a good bit of TLC wouldnt solve. As far as i could see, she still had less than 50000 miles on the clock.

He was asking €1500 for it, but you should get it for less.

If you cant find it online, let me know and i'll try to get his number from the ad the next time i see it.

Oh, the car is in Wexford.

Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

My friends father has a 3500 model, with a manual box. From what he says about them, the original 4 speed boxes were fairly rubbish, they aren't really able to handle the torque of the V8. Go for either an automatic or one that has the better 5 speed box from the SD1 fitted to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Motormouth

Be very careful buying one Dave. Myself and the Dad did a bit of research before he bought his, about 5 years ago. They can look clean outside and be totally rotten underneath. They have a structural frame which is separate to all the panels, which are bolted on. I remember reading a guide in one of the magazines saying to squeeze the drivers A pillar and if it crunches or flexes, walk away!!I might still have the mags somewhere, I'll have a root.
    If you want to have a look at Dad's V8 or even have a spin in it, pm me.
    MM

Just found a buyers guide on the P6 club site!
    http://newsite.p6club.com//node/20

• Advertisement

Motormouth is correct. The P6 is almost unique in how it is constructed. It has unstressed panels attached to a centre frame. The look and condition of the panels are mearly cosmetic and easily replaced. The buyers guide that motormouth attached IMo is the best one out there. They are great cars but you need to do your homework. Condition of the the primary structure like in all olders cars is key. The engines are strong, and the v8s are easily replaced or reconditioned. On the 2.0 and 2.2 models the engines are harder to source and replace parts on and the SU carbs are very good at detuning themselves!!
    I would be more than happy for you to have a look at mine so that I can give you a feel for the cars. Bear in mind mine is one of the better examples but has its quirks. The 2.0/2 have decent enough performance, but wait till you see what a little tuning does to the V8. Lift up the back seats and check the rot, lift the boot liner and check the boot floor. Like a DS if these look bad....walk away the rest of the car is rotton.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/rover-p6-2200cc-sc-green_W0QQitemZ160310820622QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item160310820622&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A7|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Only a SC, You would need better pictures and a lot more history but a good sign is all the old rovers in the backround! Plus the fact that the rear brakes have been done. A pain in P6s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Hi all
    New to all this forum thingamajiggery, but have been into classic cars. for donkey's years.
    Have had several Capris,(2 lasers and a GT4), but bought a Rover P6 a couple of years ago from a guy in Naas. Overall,its in good shape though I had to get the brakes done early on as they'd seized through lack of use.
    It has a lot of upgrades including power steering and a 5-speed gearbox from an SD1. Unfortunately, during whilst in Clonmell last summer the box disentegrated leaving me with only 1 gear,(fourth),but thanks to the tourqey V8 I was able to nurse it back to Carlow. Luckily I was able to get a used one locally from a fellow enthusiast. Its held so far.
    The car gets used regularly for commuting and at weekends. Often seen in the carlow area. Lunar Grey with tan vynal roof.

Regards

Welcome to the forum. I shattered the driveshaft in my old P6. She was tuned within an inch of her life. The driveshaft took exception to the tuning! Had two lunar grey cars no vynyl roof on either. Is your car a 75 or 76?

It's a 74!
    Originally it was an automatic in white. It was extensively restored and upgraded about 10 years ago, I think...

Why the change to lunar grey? It woundn't be my choice of colour if I had gone to the effort of a full respray?

Dunno. Never met the restorer. I think I bought from the guy who bought it frm him. It's not a bad colour, though I'd like one in red with a black roof.

Saw a beaut at the Durrow show though. Series 1 V8 done entirely in rich metallic black. You know the car?

No I don't know the car. I like black P6's. I have a red/orange (paprika) 3500s with a black vynyl roof. You can see it in the our cars thread.:cool:

Sound,I'll take a look at that.
    Jus gettin to know the controls on this site at the mo. Can,t reply to PMs till I've got 25 posts done apparently. Still on the L plates here,lol.

• Advertisement

Did you upgrade the lights on the p6?
    night driving a bit of a pain in mine. You'd get more light from a glowworm!

Nice 'Stang BTW...

The light have up-graded to angel-eyes, I am however changing them to more standard looking lights, with modern performance.

The "Stang" is not mine. I was never a Mach1 fan untill I saw that one. The colour and detailing of that car is stunning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

A 3500VIP is an end-of-line VIP model with all extras and a unique interior (77 built) I think it came in only two colours, silver and brown.
    There's one on carzone at the moment, it has factory a/c too.

Nice enough car. I like the exterior (Colour) but the interior is not to my taste. Too many colours clashing. If you put darker door cards and seats in the colours would compliment a lot better. IMO light colour cars dark interior and vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

heres one

cheap as chips,if its still there

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/843216

Not a bad price! If the cars straight thats not bad. ZV plates too. So someoe has at least gone to some effort. One thing that strikes me is that it has no wing mirrors. Even in 73 I thought you had to have at least one.

The light have up-graded to angel-eyes, I am however changing them to more standard looking lights, with modern performance.

The "Stang" is not mine. I was never a Mach1 fan untill I saw that one. The colour and detailing of that car is stunning.

Well if you're changing the lights, I might b interested in the Angel eyes. They might suit Capris aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

Anan1 wrote: »
    There's one on carzone at the moment, it has factory a/c too.

As far as I know all the VIP's had air conditioning.
    The one on carzone is a nice car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Lovely motor, the first car I ever drove. Well kind of.... I was seven and playing in the car, let the handbrake off and rolled backwards into the main road. My parents came out to see what all the beeping was about as I had blocked the road and traffic was backing up!

I loved the armrest in the back seat, as kids we thought it was the same as a Rolls! My dad lent it to my uncle for a weekend and he managed to set fire to the boot (petrol can + Spare Battery + coat hanger = fire :( ) and bend the bonnet after it wasn't closed properly and flipped up while driving. What a tool !!!!

• Advertisement

You can have the angel eye lights if you want (whosbetter) One of the lens si broken another has a crack, both mainbeams that is. I don't know if you can replace the lens. They are 5 3/4" BMW spec. I think that you have to up-date you connections also.

Thanks 4 that. The mains on mine were uprated with 100watts. It's just the dims (very dims) thats the problem.
    Must go shopping for a battery this wkend. Cars been off the road last couple of weeks. Must give a run soon before it seizes up!

Replacing lights this weekend. So you can get them whenever suits. I will Pm you my details.

Advertisement