Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seriously considering the RDF - couple of questions

• 19-01-2009 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi :)

I'm really considering joining the RDF, but I have a couple of quick questions first.

1. Will I be allowed join with diabetes? I can't find any info on the DF site, and anything on the web is just for US. I'm type 2 on tablets, but it's well controlled. If necessary I won't mention it during signing up, and maybe mention it a few weeks/months down the line. They're hardly going to kick me out because I became diabetic? :p

2. What kind of fitness levels are required? I can do say 10-15 pushups before I start to strain, if that helps. I have a good level of fitness I suppose, but does it need to be better than good?

3. What should I bring with me when I go to join? The training night for all Limerick units except Engineers is Wednesday, and I'm hoping to bring whatever I need to join with me, rather than wait another week.

4. Is there anything else I should know before I go? I've looked through nearly all of the RDF threads here in the first 10 or so pages.

Thanks for any advice, trying to find out as much as possible atm :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Jim_No.6

1./ I can't answer that, it's a question for the Medic during your Medical. I'm dubious though. Don't lie on your entry forms, and _yes_ they can kick you out once they find out.

2./ That's grand for joining. There's no initial Fitness Test. Check out rdfra.ie (in the "Old News" section there's a bit about the how to train for the fitness test)

3./ You'll need 2xPassport Photos, Original Copy of Birth Cert, PPS Number and (know) a list of all addresses you've ever lived at.

4./ Take a look at 62infantry.com - it should answer more or less anything you need to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

Thanks Jim, I'll take a look over there now ;)

I only thought of the diabetes today, unfortunately. I know type 1's aren't allowed, but I couldn't find anything on 2's...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Thanks Jim, I'll take a look over there now ;)

I only thought of the diabetes today, unfortunately. I know type 1's aren't allowed, but I couldn't find anything on 2's...

Keep taking your Glucophage-hopefully you'll be sound!! ;)

I wouldn't advise lying on your medical, if you are on camp and have an attack it's far better if they know!!!

segaBOY wrote: »
    Keep taking your Glucophage-hopefully you'll be sound!! ;)

I wouldn't advise lying on your medical, if you are on camp and have an attack it's far better if they know!!!

Yea that's true I suppose, it's happened at some odd times before :rolleyes:

I'll see what they say on Wednesday before declaring anything, or if I get a chance I'll ring tomorrow.

Yea that's true I suppose, it's happened at some odd times before :rolleyes:

I'll see what they say on Wednesday before declaring anything, or if I get a chance I'll ring tomorrow.

Well you should declare everything when you're doing your medical, hyperglycaemic attack can be fair serious-furthermore you'll be breaking military law by lying in your medical so you have to declare it in your medical.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭steyr fan

Hi :)
    4. Is there anything else I should know before I go?

Very important - bring lots of patience with you every time you go. You'll need lots as the process for getting through security clearance, medical, getting the uniform can be lengthy.

Best of luck.

Thanks guys, I'll definitely bring the stuff with me tomorrow night then, no point having to leave it another week ;)

I don't think I'd have it in me to blatantly lie in the medical tbh, especially not with something like this. Hopefully I'll get someone who actually knows about the illness and would know that I'm OK as type 2...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

2. What kind of fitness levels are required? I can do say 10-15 pushups before I start to strain, if that helps. I have a good level of fitness I suppose, but does it need to be better than good?
    You'll be fine, I know people in the RDF in terrible physical condition. Isn't an issue.
    3. What should I bring with me when I go to join? The training night for all Limerick units except Engineers is Wednesday, and I'm hoping to bring whatever I need to join with me, rather than wait another week.
    You don;t need to bring anything on weekday training sessions, your unit might be slightly different. Ask the NCOs.
    4. Is there anything else I should know before I go? I've looked through nearly all of the RDF threads here in the first 10 or so pages.

Best general source of Info is probably here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Besides the paperwork details which have been detailed here, all you'll need for training is a pen and paper. If you are under 18 you will need to bring forms home to be signed by your parent/guardian, other than that you should be able to get it all completed on the night.

The process itself usually takes about 3 months from filling in the paperwork to receiving your clothing issue. The security clearance is what slows things down, while you're waiting for that you will have a medical scheduled. Once you pass your medical and receive your clearance you can be attested (sworn in). After this the DF will assign you a number and you can receive your clothing.

There is a syllabus for pre-recruit training so you can attend training while you are waiting to be sworn in - you should have enough completed to go on recruit camp over the summer.

Regarding the diabetes, the best thing is to tell the recruiting NCO's right away and they can get definative answers for you. Have you decided what unit you want to join up in Sarsfield?

Hopefully I'll get someone who actually knows about the illness and would know that I'm OK as type 2...

You'll be talking to a Doctor, one would imagine he/she would have a fair bit of knowledge about such a common illness :rolleyes:

Type 2 differs from type one in so far as insulin is produced but cannot target blood sugars correctly unlike type 1 where no insulin is produced, it's still a serious issue be it type 1 or 2 and not saying it in your medical and getting found out later won't be looked upon too kindly.

Get a bit of common sense and let them know from day 1.

• Advertisement

concussion wrote: »
    Regarding the diabetes, the best thing is to tell the recruiting NCO's right away and they can get definative answers for you. Have you decided what unit you want to join up in Sarsfield?

I'm not sure what unit yet, I was thinking either comms or general infantry. I'll wait and see what's going on on the night first, as they're all on tomorrow.
    You'll be talking to a Doctor, one would imagine he/she would have a fair bit of knowledge about such a common illness :rolleyes:

You'd be surprised, knowing some of the "medical professionals" I've spoken to :D

Type 2 differs from type one in so far as insulin is produced but cannot target blood sugars correctly unlike type 1 where no insulin is produced, it's still a serious issue be it type 1 or 2 and not saying it in your medical and getting found out later won't be looked upon too kindly.

Get a bit of common sense and let them know from day 1.

I will, I'll ask tomorrow anyway ;)

I'm not sure what unit yet, I was thinking either comms or general infantry. I'll wait and see what's going on on the night first, as they're all on tomorrow.

You'd be surprised, knowing some of the "medical professionals" I've spoken to :D

I will, I'll ask tomorrow anyway ;)

Hope it all goes ok for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

You will have to decide before tomorrow night which one you are going for. That is if you want to actually properly sign up starting tomorrow, You will be taken by one unit and given an "ohh ahh" kinda thing where they show you some stuff and pimp their Wares, so decide now so you don't have to say "I don't want Inf/CIS"

What Barracks are you closest too?? If people here know or are in the relevant units they may be able to help you make the decision.

I'm hoping to do the sign-up tomorrow, if I can convince a parent to come with me to sign for me :D I'll have a choice by tomorrow then, I'll do a bit more research into exactly what each unit does. I'd be closest to Sarsfield :)

Thanks for the advice so far all ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Forgot to say, http://www.1bderdf.com has an overview of all Southern Brigade units.

I'm hoping to do the sign-up tomorrow, if I can convince a parent to come with me to sign for me :D I'll have a choice by tomorrow then, I'll do a bit more research into exactly what each unit does. I'd be closest to Sarsfield :)

Thanks for the advice so far all ;)

Well he be given the forms and all tomorrow?? I remember when I joined it took a good 2 -4 weeks before I actualy filled in an application form, just wondering if he needs to bring his parent incase they don't give him any forms to fill in...

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

before you take your medical make sure in terms of your vison that you do not have a color defincey, me and 3 other lads from my unit found out the hard way in bricins medical hospital and its gutting, we had done the weekly training for 7 weeks and were realy into it, these are the tests for color deficency http://www.toledo-bend.com/colorblind/Ishihara.asp if you cant make out what the number in the circles are then realy dont bother to apply cause its only wasting your own time, im speaking from experience and it sucks, if u fail this its not like the hearing test they do, you CAN'T repeat it,

ps3man wrote: »
    before you take your medical make sure in terms of your vison that you do not have a color defincey, me and 3 other lads from my unit found out the hard way in bricins medical hospital and its gutting, we had done the weekly training for 7 weeks and were realy into it, these are the tests for color deficency http://www.toledo-bend.com/colorblind/Ishihara.asp if you cant make out what the number in the circles are then realy dont bother to apply cause its only wasting your own time, im speaking from experience and it sucks, if u fail this its not like the hearing test they do, you CAN'T repeat it,

The Eastern Brigade tend to turn people away for that sort of thing, other Brigade's are not so stringent on this.(well not all the time.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

ps3man wrote: »

Jaysus, I can only just about make out the numbers. My test might be a bit hit or miss. Not to mention I'm half blind and deaf :P .

Jaysus, I can only just about make out the numbers. My test might be a bit hit or miss. Not to mention I'm half blind and deaf :P .

You will do the Audiogram first, that is a test where when you fail, they won't just mark it up...usually, due to range orders and such!!!!

• Advertisement

I checked for colour-blindness last week, to make sure. There's one or two slides that take me a sec to get, but the rest are fine. My eyesight is perfect too, I had a test done for a license a couple of months ago. And if I avoid headphones for a couple of days, I shouldn't have any problems with the hearing either. Physically I'm fine, it's just the fact that I'm technically diabetic that could be the problem :(

I'll be handing in the forms this Wednesday anyway, hopefully it'll all go according to plan. Thanks to concussion for the help, too ;)

Advertisement