Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda pistol stolen

Options
  • 19-01-2009 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭

The Herald is reporting a Gards SIG pistol and 30 rounds of ammo stolen from a detectives home. Whats the betting that the DOJ spin conveniently omits that it was a Garda firearm and it is added to the (very) short list of licensed handguns that have been stolen as justification for the proposed handgun ban (inc all the starting pistols, humane killers etc)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Does it say where in Ireland???Intrestingly,since a SIG was stolen in Limerick in the last ten days.:o

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Does it say where in Ireland???
    Meath, apparently:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58670186&postcount=101

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Interesting to note from that article that the Sig is now more deadly than even the Glock:
    The Sig is one of the most common weapons among criminals and has been used in several murders.

And it's implied heavily in that article that this was a duty handgun (or whatever it's called) rather than something owned personally under licence.

Just goes to show that NO ONE is invulernable from having their firearms or property nicked these days.:rolleyes::rolleyes:.
    Pots & kettles spring to mind. Now the evil SIG is this months Irish media evil gun then??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

The Herald is reporting a Gards SIG pistol and 30 rounds of ammo stolen from a detectives home. Whats the betting that the DOJ spin conveniently omits that it was a Garda firearm and it is added to the (very) short list of licensed handguns that have been stolen as justification for the proposed handgun ban (inc all the starting pistols, humane kille

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/detective-has-his-gun-stolen-form-home-1606627.html
    Detective has his gun stolen form home

Monday January 19 2009

Gardai are this evening hunting a burglar who stole a handgun from a detective’s home.

Officers are urgently trying to trace the thief, who broke into the garda’s home in Co Meath in what they believe was an “opportunistic raid”.

The criminal stole the Sig semi-automatic pistol and 30 rounds of ammo. The incident occurred a day before a confidential garda document was reportedly left in a Dublin coffee shop.

It related to an ongoing probe into organised crime and detailed a covert surveillance operation.

A major criminal is also named in the file. He is thought to have played a significant role in recent raids on cash-in-transit vans and is also a suspected tiger kidnapper.

A large-scale inquiry is under way today in an attempt to recover the stolen gun. It is thought to be standard issue for members of the National Bureau of Criminal Investigation, which investigates murders and serious offences.

Each garda detective is issued with a personal weapon that is their responsibility. It is normally stored in a secure station locker but can take them home.

The Sig is one of the most common weapons among criminals and has been used in several murders. However, officers do not believe the thief knew he was breaking into the home of a detective garda and said the theft was "opportunistic".

Officials are remaining tight-lipped about how the sensitive file was in the public domain and found in the cafe last Thursday.

Details of a major probe codenamed Operation Tarmac were also contained in the document. It was left in a busy central Dublin coffee shop near a Luas stop before being returned to Harcourt Square Garda Station by a member of the public.

k.doyle@herald.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Meyer

Each garda detective is issued with a personal weapon that is their responsibility. It is normally stored in a secure station locker but can take them home.

I wonder if detectives are required to have the same safety requirements for handguns as the rest of us, if they decide to take them home? Somehow I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Meyer wrote: »
    I wonder if detectives are required to have the same safety requirements for handguns as the rest of us, if they decide to take them home? Somehow I doubt it.

That is a concern. It would show neglect, in my opinion, if there were no security precautions i.e. at least a pistol cabinet, in place. Detectives are just as vulnerable as members of the public.

It shows that no matter what you do for a living you can still be a victim or still make mistakes.

I would be doubtful as to whether it was locked away in this case, however, I would agree that the burglar did not realise he/she was in an officers house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭ironsight

With regard to the question about garda officers being required to have a safe fitted in their home for duty weapons, About 7 or 8 years ago I was dating a girl whose father was a driver for one of a retired taoiseach. When he was around, he would routinely hang his shoulder holster and weapon in the press under the stairs.

Hate to say this;but aren't Gardai issued with a marvellous securing device as well?Called a set of handcuffs.Secure one link to a immoveable object,other thru the trigger gaurd.Pretty good secure instant storage.And quickly freed too if needed in a hurry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Given that unlike most Irish shooters they're allowed, nay, expected, to shoot people with it, it's kindof hard for them to fulfill that purpose if subject to the 17 layers of Ft Knox security. Of course, just what it was doing unattended is another matter entirely. He should have had it with him.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Hate to say this;but aren't Gardai issued with a marvellous securing device as well?Called a set of handcuffs.Secure one link to a immoveable object,other thru the trigger gaurd.Pretty good secure instant storage.And quickly freed too if needed in a hurry.
    You do realise that hand cuffs are relatively easy to unlock, what with them coming with standard keys.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Given that unlike most Irish shooters they're allowed, nay, expected, to shoot people with it, it's kindof hard for them to fulfill that purpose if subject to the 17 layers of Ft Knox security.

If they're off duty they're not expected to use their handgun (I hope!) so at least some security should be expected.
    He should have had it with him.

Maybe he was off down the pub for a few pints?
    Victor wrote: »
    You do realise that hand cuffs are relatively easy to unlock, what with them coming with standard keys.

Yes, but since the vast majority of burglaries are opportunistic I suspect that the simple act of handcuffing the gun to something would cut the odds on it being stolen. If there's a simple thing you can do, which wouldn't inconvenience you but would inconvenience a thief then it's probably worth doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sig226

If they're off duty they're not expected to use their handgun (I hope!)
    It is not unheard of for off duty gardai to intervene in situations when the need arises (thankfully). If a situation were to arise in which an armed detective felt the situation warranted the use of their issued firearm I am sure he/she would be expected to use it, even if they off duty at the time. Although armed detectives are not expected to be armed at all times when off duty, some are at times.
    at least some security should be expected
    +1
    If there's a simple thing you can do, which wouldn't inconvenience you but would inconvenience a thief then it's probably worth doing.
    +1

Hmmm,I didnt think that the local key cutter facility in Ireland runs to Safriland or S&W Law enforcement products.:D Sure you can open the elcheapo joke/sex shop made in China yokes easy enough.But thats hardly issued police equipment is it?Still and all what with the recession....:eek:

Advertisement