Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fileserver / storage center.

Options
  • 19-01-2009 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭

Looking for a storage solution to house 10+ sata 3.5" drives.
    Don't need network attached, just want a central location for all the drives.
    Only one requirement - must be cheap!
    Don't care if it's P3 with Win98, so long as it's reliable.
    Don't need raid, just bunch of drives.
    Don't even need internet.
    Looking to source most, if not all parts, on adverts (or ebay if I have to).

Any advice on suitable motherboard, cards, cases would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

mrmac wrote: »
    Don't care if it's P3 with Win98, so long as it's reliable.
    Don't need raid, just bunch of drives.

If you want reliable then you will have to go with RAID. Also, what level of reliability do you seek? Is it going to be a home system where it doesn't matter if it's down for days or weeks or is it going to be a business-critical system that requires a certain level of availability?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

It's not for business use, I just need somewhere to put all my hdds.
    As far as reliable goes, I don't need raid, and if a drive fails, it won't be the end of the world as I don't have any critical files.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Wow, 10+ for small money is a tall order. Are they all SATA, or are some IDE?
    What capacities are they? If some are small, it may be more economical to consolidate them into a few 1TB+ drives than spend lots on enterprise-level controllers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Yeah I reckon it would be better (cheaper) to upgrade your drives rather then everything tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I have about 6 Sata and 6 IDE, all 500gb. I'd be happy to get a few 1TB Sata to replace the IDE, and eventually upgrade all the drives to 1TB+.

I really can't justify spending any more than 200 euro max. on setting this up.
    I have a spare licence for Win Xp Pro, and a power supply with 10 molex power connections.

I really need ideas on a suitable case, user friendly sata cards, and how to set up such a system. Maybe Xp wouldn't be suitable?

Appreciate any hints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Ok, the six sata drives are manageable. Look for a cheap second hand pc with 2 IDE and 6 Sata headers, and with plenty of drive bays. Then get one of these and as many of these as needed.

I'm afraid I don't see any more elegant solution for the budget you have in mind.

Advertisement