Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost to spay dog ?

Options
  • 19-01-2009 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone update me on the typical cost to spay a Lurcher sized dog ?

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I had my cocker spaniel spayed last year and it was €165 in total. It might vary slightly on this depending on the amount of anaesthetic used. I'd give your vet a buzz to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

it depends on the weight of your dog as heavier dogs require higher doses of anaesthetic and pain relief, bring your dog to your local vet to get her weighed and then your vet will be able to give you prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leadinglady

If you have a pension book or an unemployment book you are
    entitled to get your dog spayed for 20e. If you even have your grandads pension book number use that. Check which vets in your area are in the scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 doolin101

If you have a pension book or an unemployment book you are
    entitled to get your dog spayed for 20e. If you even have your grandads pension book number use that. Check which vets in your area are in the scheme.
    #what?
    thats terrible, those subsidised fees are there to help those who need them not just anyone, in the current climate I can see them being the first thisgs to go if they are being abused! Shame on you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leadinglady

Yes, I suppose your right, I hadnt even though of it that way. :o

I do think its very important to see dogs getting neutered though and a lot of people dont do it because of the money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

We had vouchers from our local Pet Rescue for our two; but we are pensioners and disabled.

We are deeply grateful for the schemes as we can care for our pets properly then.

There is a subsidised collie spaying scheme also.

Many will not spend on doing this; especially for cats.They begrudge it.

One neighour was worried lest our neutered tom cat was not fixed; he has two female cats.. not fixed of course.....

Words fail sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Just to update my girl was spayed at Barna Vet Clinic. Superb service, excellent vet & total cost of €175 which included two follow ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭arthistory

My local SPCA give vouchers and you can get it done for 20 euro but not all SPCAs do it, especially now when the money is running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

doolin101 wrote: »
    #what?
    thats terrible, those subsidised fees are there to help those who need them not just anyone, in the current climate I can see them being the first thisgs to go if they are being abused! Shame on you!

I understand where you're coming from, Doolin101 but I'd still rather a dog get neutered or spayed. With all the stupid things our government spend money on (clocks in the liffey:D, the spire, last years taxi bill for the dail), I'd rather it be spent on neutering/spaying for responsible pet owners who actually bother to help solve the stray problem in Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

I understand where you're coming from, Doolin101 but I'd still rather a dog get neutered or spayed. With all the stupid things our government spend money on (clocks in the liffey:D, the spire, last years taxi bill for the dail), I'd rather it be spent on neutering/spaying for responsible pet owners who actually bother to help solve the stray problem in Ireland!

It's pet charities who subsidise it not the government. The Dogs Trust scheme is only for people on means tested social welfare and using someone else's claim book to con them out of a voucher is fraud.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

Discodog wrote: »
    Just to update my girl was spayed at Barna Vet Clinic. Superb service, excellent vet & total cost of €175 which included two follow ups.
    Sorry to go OT but I hope you popped into Donnelly's of Barna for a bowl of chowder and a pint of stout while you were out there Discodog. Heaven! :D:D:D

Advertisement