Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice asap on Cancelling Irish Broadband

Options
  • 19-01-2009 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

I have 1mb Ripwave with Irish Broadband which I got last October(12 month contract). I was made redundant and will leaving the address I was registered at in the next couple of days. I havent used the broadband since December 23rd. I dont want to cancel my direct debit as I will get a bad credit rating. I have the box ready to be sent back. What will I tell them? Should I say the truth, a new apartment block was built next to me and blocks the signal?

What will I do? All advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brum

I cant honestly believe I didnt get one reply!!!!

Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Tell them the truth, what are you gonna tell them otherwise!? It's a decent excuse as well... They'll prob off you their DSL or Breeze service if they allow you to cancel. I don't understand what you mean about getting a bad credit rating with regard to cancelling the DD?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Jev/N wrote: »
    Tell them the truth, what are you gonna tell them otherwise!? It's a decent excuse as well... They'll prob off you their DSL or Breeze service if they allow you to cancel. I don't understand what you mean about getting a bad credit rating with regard to cancelling the DD?

A direct debit is just a particular way of paying a bill. Cancelling a direct debit is not the problem -the problem arises if you allow the bills to pile up.

So approach them and talk about it to them. Cancelling the direct debit could actually save you money as if there isn't money in your account to meet it the bank will impose charges on you and ibb may haver their own charges too for unpaid direct debits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Not paying your Irish Broadband bill will not effect your credit rating either, they are not a bank. It will however leave you in bad standing with the company, and they will likely send debt collectors your way.

You may op may not be able to get out of the contract, that's mostly up to IBB. If the signal has been lost, then you'll need to prove it, with records of a sustained period of non-service. Simply telling them there's a building in the way (which was built in 2 months??) is not going to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

Hi,

Just wondering if anything came of this, OP? Im about to try to cancel or change my account with IB and so far it is not going so well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

I had IB DSL and had no problems at all cancelling it. Just rang them up said i wanted to cancel and away it went.

I was out of my 12 month contract though.

Moving back to BT is where the problems have begun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

Thanks. I've just been told I have to pay 150 euro if I want to move house and also move to a different package since the one Im on now doesnt exist anymore. :( unfortunately looking like thats not grounds enough for getting out of the contract early

Advertisement