Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star tattoos

Options
  • 19-01-2009 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

hi, just looking for cool tattoo designs for forearm/ wrist section!
    Stars would be cool!
    anyone got any pics of tattoos like that??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

google image search is your friend, as is BME (nsfw)

also tattoo artist's portfolios are a good place to look also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jerrehpips

did you get them done since?
    Was thinkin of gettin them done too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Stars make such lovely tattoos. It's just a pity you can't do very much with them, IMO.

I have a set of stars going from my hand down the left side, circlig on to my writs, and they're one of my favourite pieces. Mind you, I had to have them done three times, cos the original srtist screwed up the most simplest design ever.

Just try not to go with the generic black star on the Wrist, it can look a bit bland and in a year or two can turn to some kinda blurred mark on your arm. I vote colour and lots of it!

ya reckon? cos the usual black outline of stars is exactly what i was gonna get done, except somewhere i bit less painful thatn the wrist

Fear of needles is probably the biggest set back though, hence why i want to get it somewhere i wont pull away
    ill only move my arm every 5 mins lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

i have the "generic" black outlined stars on my hip.. out of everything i have, they are one of my fav things, more tha likey cause it was the first thing i got :)

black outline stars rawk imo!

• Advertisement

Haha, well don't let anyone talk you out of what you want to get, I was just giving you my opinion!

Oh, I'm in the Sunday World today, with my dance group. You can see my stars on there. Im the only tattooed girl in the group lol!

Back to the subject, lol! I'm not a fan of plain black work, I've always been a colour girl myself. Most of my pieces are colour. I just know so many people with plain black stars, they just seem common to me or something.

In relation to the fear of needles, just don't look and try not to think about it. Getting inked tickles IMO. If you're worried about the pain, you can pop some neurofen an hour or so beforehand. It helps with the swelling also. And usually afterwards, you'll feel silly about being so worried! Bring a friend to chat with, that can help take your mind of it also.

Good luck!
    xx

all stars are common in the end of the day ..

as for the pain bit, same as FS said to me it tickles rather than hurts, then ever one pain threshold is differnet , i like pain! ... again if you're only getting a small piece it will be over before you know it :)

and lets us know how you get on :)

emo!! wrote: »
    all stars are common in the end of the day ..

Yes, they may be common, but how many have you seen and said 'wow, they're lovely' I get random people coming up to me, saying they love my stars and how unique they look. Amazing how a crap piece of work can turn into something so beautiful!!

I just think that with enough thought into a piece you can make it truly individual. As Will said BME is your friend. Some lovely pieces up there.

http://www.bmeink.com/star001.html

Take a look there. Some really nice ink.

Yes, they may be common, but how many have you seen and said 'wow, they're lovely' I get random people coming up to me, saying they love my stars and how unique they look. Amazing how a crap piece of work can turn into something so beautiful!!

I just think that with enough thought into a piece you can make it truly individual. As Will said BME is your friend. Some lovely pieces up there.

I see loads personally ,cause i love stars

and Linky >>> www.checkoutmyink.com have loads of nice ones also

As I said each to their own.

I just think it's hard to create an individual and unique tattoo involving stars. It's lovely when you do tho.

Thanks for the link, Emo!

EDIT:
    This one is fantastic, I think

fygt-falling-stars.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

black outline stars rawk imo!

Totally agree :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

I've never seen a star outline/collection of outlines i liked - just looks unfinished to me.

hot2def wrote: »
    I've never seen a star outline/collection of outlines i liked - just looks unfinished to me.

My hand was just plain thin black outlined stars, looked absolutely awful. But was great for drunkin nights in 'Emz, can I colour you in?!'

So eventually I went for different shades of blue. I've had a few artists say nice things about how they turned out. Same with the hearts on the opposite side. Plain heart outlines that I HATED when it was finished. Then I popped into wild cat and had them touched up. And now they look great! I brilliant contrast to the stars IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

i have 5 stars on my forearm
    increasing in size and varying in colour as they go from wrist upwards
    Black, Blue, Yellow, Green, Red

they look good imo

they are just coloured outline, dont think i'd get them filled in with colour

and lets us know how you get on :)

Shall do, but it probably wont be done till the summer,
    need to scrape a few bob together first lol
    Thanks =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 LiveLifeLively

jerrehpips wrote: »
    ya reckon? cos the usual black outline of stars is exactly what i was gonna get done, except somewhere i bit less painful thatn the wrist

Fear of needles is probably the biggest set back though, hence why i want to get it somewhere i wont pull away
    ill only move my arm every 5 mins lol

Wrist doesn't hurt much and I've a lot of veins on my wrist. Stars won't take that long to do with just the usual black outline like. I barely felt the needle on my wrist it was a breeze after my back one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

My stars are coloured! Pink, turquoise and purple! :D

Whenever I describe them I feel that people are a bit objectionable to the fact that they're coloured brightly as the black outlined stars are so popular but to be honest, anyone who's seen them since I had the colour added have all said they're nice. (hopefully they're being honest :P )

I think it's a case of personal preference. Black outlined stars are pretty, I had them for two years. Then I added some colour and they're still pretty so decide what you prefer and go for it!

Also, in relation to the pain. I had mine first done by a fricken amateur who messed it up and I found it quite painful and very, very bloody. I had them redone in colourworks effortlessly and it felt mostly like a tickle ;)

So don't be worrying, best of luck!!

how much does it cost roughly to get 3 done and coloured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

How long is a piece of string?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

No way of knowing as it depends on size, complexity, location and the artists rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

i have three on my shoulder, one bigger black outline with two turquoise smaller ones on either side. it took no time to get done so it was only 70 quid.

if you're not getting them that big it prob will take no time at all, and thus will be minimum charge.

oh and for me, the wrist stings like a little bitch, so enjoy :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 randomcorkgirl

Yes most stars are common but if u go for a really unique design they can be so beautiful... if you or one of ur mates can draw ask one of them to design it then it is speciifaclly for you and means slightly more then ur average star!!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

I got 4 stars going from my wrist to my elbow increasing in size, the biggest one is a nautical star.

They are plain black, filled in, and the nautical is black and skin.

I get comments saying how people like them because they are so simple, But their comments mean nothing, Im happy with them, each one is important to me.

You will get people saying an outline is too simple, you need colour, you need it in some design. But get what you want done.

Mine is as simple as they come and i get positive comments about it.

You will run into people that like and loathe your tattoo, thats life, and adding colour isnt a sure way to make it a hit with everyone you meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

I have a set of stars going from my hand down the left side, circlig on to my writs, and they're one of my favourite pieces. Mind you, I had to have them done three times, cos the original srtist screwed up the most simplest design ever.

he also farily screwed up my stars on the top of my back too and i totally hated them for awhile, but now i actually like them being all wonky and whatnot. dont ask me why :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

he also farily screwed up my stars on the top of my back too and i totally hated them for awhile, but now i actually like them being all wonky and whatnot. dont ask me why :confused:

Probably because they are a bit different to normal stars ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

i think so! haha! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

I have 3 stars, 2 of which I want removed and the other was my first tattoo so it's staying with me for sentimental reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 catticus

I got 4 stars going from my wrist to my elbow increasing in size, the biggest one is a nautical star.

They are plain black, filled in, and the nautical is black and skin.

Hi, just curious, when you say nautical star, do you mean the 5 point one or 8 point? I have the 8 point nautical/navigational star on the back of my neck, also in black and skin, probably my favourite of my tattoos, mostly because it has the most meaning behind it. (dad's a skipper)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 starrzinmyeyes

a lot of people do have stars but, personally, i think that if you get a tattoo its going to have a special meaning to you.. so each persons stars are unique imo..
    im 16 and have been seriously thinking about getting 3 little stars on my wrist for a long time..its ok with my parents but i have am still looking round for a studio that will do it..:S
    anyone have know anything about colourworks in dublin?..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

nowhere in dublin or anywhere decent will ink you when you're under 18, even with parental consent

Advertisement