Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Help!

Options
  • 19-01-2009 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

It's been largely hinted that Tertiary activity in SW USA will be coming up in our Geography mock. So, I thought I'd do something on that tonight because I can't remember the slightest thing about it. Turns out we've never done it, we only did primary and secondary activity. But, our teacher is pretty insistant we do this question as we haven't cover the other (B) parts of the regional questions or something.

ANybody know anything about tertiary activity in South West USA, or know where I can find notes on it? All I can get is European regions or India :(

Comments

I'm probably not much use as I did India myself, but I just took a quick look on Scoilnet.ie to see if there was anything on the SW of USA, the only thing I could find was this compartive between LA and the Rhine-Ruhr region. I know the Rhine-Ruhr region bit mightn't be much use to you, but the parts on LA look pretty ok - it gives a run down of its tertiary/economic activities (I think:pac:). It's better than nothing anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I'm probably not much use as I did India myself, but I just took a quick look on Scoilnet.ie to see if there was anything on the SW of USA, the only thing I could find was this compartive between LA and the Rhine-Ruhr region. I know the Rhine-Ruhr region bit mightn't be much use to you, but the parts on LA look pretty ok - it gives a run down of its tertiary/economic activities (I think:pac:). It's better than nothing anyway!

Thanks for trying! Half wish we'd done India, I've notes in two seperate revision books on India, but nada on SW USA. I know nothing, so I'm sure I can use some of that LA stuff! :D

Thanks for trying! Half wish we'd done India, I've notes in two seperate revision books on India, but nada on SW USA. I know nothing, so I'm sure I can use some of that LA stuff! :D

No problem! To be honest, wikipedia is your best friend for regional - well it is for me anyway. Search for the right thing and it'll give you more SRP's than you could ever want, then just make your own notes with the points you get. That's what I do anyway!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Yeah, I did SW USA.. tertiary activities are somewhat vague.
    The main two to focus on though are tourism and transport.

Tourism:
    It's a popular tourist region because:
    1. It has a delectable little climate! Lots of heat and stuff.. lies within the sun belt.
    2. Spectacular scenery, eg, Yosemite, Bond National Parks, etc
    3. Attractive cities- San Fran, LA (Hollywood etc), and particularly Las Vegas
    4. New Age towns such as Sedona (Arizona).
    5. Refer to their culture.
    etc

Transport:
    Roads, Ports, Air Transport. Their development and so on.

Hope this helps. I recall it being done out pretty well in the book I was using last year - "Today's World". Haven't revised it yet myself though. Guuulp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Egypt is easier to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭deisechap09

could anyone tell me a second secondary activity other than manufacturing industry?? been searching but cant find any others anywhere.. sorry done india myself easiest of the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

No problem! To be honest, wikipedia is your best friend for regional - well it is for me anyway. Search for the right thing and it'll give you more SRP's than you could ever want, then just make your own notes with the points you get. That's what I do anyway!:pac:

Never even thought of doing that, **** the book!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

could anyone tell me a second secondary activity other than manufacturing industry?? been searching but cant find any others anywhere.. sorry done india myself easiest of the lot.

well secondary activities is industry and in india for secondary in india try talking about the different industries in each of the major towns.

for example:
    1. Iron and steel in Kolkata (Calcutta) -> pollution -> traditional industries too (cotton, clothing, jute)

2. Value added software industries in Chennai -> textile & light engineering -> foreign controlled software industries -> modern & hightech

3. Pharmaceuticals in Mumbai (Bombay) -> food processing and cotton -> foreign companies in electronics and pharmaceuticals -> India's drive to create more modern export-orientated industrial economy

4. Chemicals in Ahmadabad -> major growth zone -> cotton, chemicals, engineering, food processing

industries other than manufacturing:
    -Agri-industries (fertilizers, machinery, food processing)

-Consumer goods industries (labour intensive, low labour cost and traditional skills -> jewlery)

-High-technology industries (skilled workers -> MNC's such as IBM and texas instruments -> will become major economic competitor in world)

-Development in countryside (70% of pop. in rural areas -> need jobs which come to them instead of them migrating to urban centres -> provides basic health care, education, drinking water)

-heavily invested in education -> more university grads. than Canada or USA -> 40% in science and engineering -> skilled english speaking workers attract MNC's -> low labour costs -> salary for board designer in California = $100,000... India = $10,000

some frequent points:
    1. large population size provides large home market
    2. natural resourses (iron ore)
    3. cheap labour
    4. outputs from agriculture (cotton)
    5. only 2% of pop. work in industry

sorry for rambling, go ahead and pick your 15 SRP's out of that, hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

bythewoods wrote: »
    Yeah, I did SW USA.. tertiary activities are somewhat vague.
    The main two to focus on though are tourism and transport.

Tourism:
    It's a popular tourist region because:
    1. It has a delectable little climate! Lots of heat and stuff.. lies within the sun belt.
    2. Spectacular scenery, eg, Yosemite, Bond National Parks, etc
    3. Attractive cities- San Fran, LA (Hollywood etc), and particularly Las Vegas
    4. New Age towns such as Sedona (Arizona).
    5. Refer to their culture.
    etc

Transport:
    Roads, Ports, Air Transport. Their development and so on.

Hope this helps. I recall it being done out pretty well in the book I was using last year - "Today's World". Haven't revised it yet myself though. Guuulp.

Oooh, I'm pretty sure that's the book we use, only its in school, and pretty useless for everything else, so I ignored it, as silly as that seems now.... It's usually quite terrible for getting stuff out of! The one time it isn't :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Also, JSK 252, I don't have the choice :(... Teacher teaches one region, you learn that region. Besides, SW USA is really simple for Primary and Secondary!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Oooh, I'm pretty sure that's the book we use, only its in school, and pretty useless for everything else, so I ignored it, as silly as that seems now.... It's usually quite terrible for getting stuff out of! The one time it isn't :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Yeah, I used that in my old school. This year I had to start using "ECO" or something.. it's alright but I actually prefer good oul' fashioned Today's World. The original non- revised edition all the way of course! :P

Pretty easy to get stuff online for SWUSA though, for ainformation on Las Vegas especially... which is a bit if a hub. In my answers at least.

• Advertisement
Advertisement