Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Upgrading broadband packages

Options
  • 19-01-2009 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭

Just got a call from NTL saying they have upgraded our area and my 20mb package is being upgraded in the next few days. Could it be 40mb broadband???

Anyone else get a call?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

What exactly did they say?:)

NTL is coming to my area pretty shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

A girl called and said that the lines had been upgraded in Swords and that our package will be upgraded in the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

is this country wide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Do you have a phone service with them.

I don't have BB with them but I have digital tv. They frequently ring saying how theyve upgraded the service in the area and that they can now offer this that and the other...

Was it anything like this? Seems odd they would ring to say your package was being upgraded and no information to what end

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

guil07 wrote: »

He didn't happen to say which year?

I find it a bit odd that they would call to say "howya, we're going to increase your speed for free, you don't need to pay us anything extra and it'll be done by x, bye now."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

no need to get smart
    he said christmas 08

did they not upgrade 10mb to 20mb for free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Ever since that last speed increase up to 20 there was supposedly going to be another one soon after... It got quiet for a good while until the talk of a pre Christmas speed increase now this... You can only wonder.

no need to get smart
    he said christmas 08
    :mad:
    did they not upgrade 10mb to 20mb for free

Yes, but as I recall it was not announced before the new speeds were launched AND nobody expected it because the speeds had been upgraded previously. Why call a customer directly and tell them that x, y and z will be delivered if they are not 100% ready?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Ah now there were a lot of rumours before an official announcement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

I just signed up :D 40mb would be nice but doubt it will happen even though i hope it does!!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Onikage wrote: »
    I find it a bit odd that they would call to say "howya, we're going to increase your speed for free, you don't need to pay us anything extra and it'll be done by x, bye now."

Yes, it seems strange, but if you have been around this forum a long time, you might remember that we all heard similar sort of rumours shortly before two previous upgrades, which were free also.

First we went from 3mb to 6mb then to 12mb and then 2 months later it jumped to 20mb.

The 12mb and in particular the 20mb jumps were a big surprise to everyone, specially as they were free, but it seems that UPC want to capture a lot of market share and put a lot of distance between themselves and the DSL providers.

I'm not saying this will happen again, but it has certainly happened almost exactly like this in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

bk wrote: »
    Yes, it seems strange, but if you have been around this forum a long time, you might remember that we all heard similar sort of rumours shortly before two previous upgrades, which were free also.

First we went from 3mb to 6mb then to 12mb and then 2 months later it jumped to 20mb.

The 12mb and in particular the 20mb jumps were a big surprise to everyone, specially as they were free, but it seems that UPC want to capture a lot of market share and put a lot of distance between themselves and the DSL providers.

I'm not saying this will happen again, but it has certainly happened almost exactly like this in the past.

Lets sit back and wait :) i love downloading at 2.2Mb/s but 4.4Mb/s would be alot better :)

yep the 12mb to 20 Jump was a surprise to me, just done a speedtest and was like WHA? :eek:

Rumors are not facts and past performance is no guarantee of future results.

All aside, I hope it's true. It would be the best news for broadband in Ireland for a long time. Since the UPC 20Meg package actually...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

Onikage wrote: »
    He didn't happen to say which year?

That's exactly what she did! We only have broadband with them

There trying to change the way people view them, have alot of bad taste from the NTL days, but as UPC are a new outfit i think they may have some more impressing to do.

Hopefully she's right and it's not just a prank on her last day in the job.

Advertisement