Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where Next for the UFC Lightweight Division

• 19-01-2009 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Just looking for some thoughts on where you think the lightweight division is going on 2009 with the fight of the decade less than a week away, and Bj is looking on topform, who will be the next contender in the lightweight division to challenge BJ for the title. If i was a betting man i'd put money on Kenny Florian, but some people say that sean shrek will make a come back.

Or will Junie Browning from season 8 of the Ultimate Fighter, magically take out penn by throw a glass at him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

Kenny Florian was confirmed as #1 contender when he beat joe stevenson i november!!

The only question is that if bj beats gsp when will he get his shot?? Dana has already confirmed that the winner will fight Thiago Alves ASAP so it probably wont be till nearer the end of the year before he gets his shot at the title!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Sm0ke

Ken-Flo has been looking better and better every match! Would love to see him and Penn face off! It would be intresting to see who would win and if Kenny did win, could he beat Sean Sherk a 2nd time round?

thank god you didnt do this for light heavyweight, Would be here for hours XD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

kenflo for sure. This is a real interesting fight..both of them got great striking and jits. Im gonna go wit bj to win, but wouldnt be overly surprised if kenflo outworked a demotivated penn and took the belt..

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

I wouldn't be overly surprised to see some of Eddie Alvarez, KJ Noons, Gilbert Melendez and JZ Calvacante in the octagon within the next 12 months as well. Sherk and Florian are the only credible contenders in the division at the moment and I can't see either of them beating BJ, and more importantly neither fight is a big draw.

Who knows, maybe Diego Sanchez will rediscover his mojo at 155.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Kenny is a great fighter and I love watching him fight. But he has a bit of the Forrest Griffin about him - an over achiever. He beats the **** outta most guys at the weight but will struggle against the cream, guys like Alves etc

BTW: I would love Kenny to prove me wrong...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 JayX

I think the fact that Diego Sanchez is dropping down to lightweight makes the division all the more interesting. If he beats Joe Daddy at UFC 95 then a rematch with Kenny Florian has got to be on the cards.

Depending on the outcome of the Penn v St. Pierre match there could be a vacated title up for grabs. If that were the case, I wouldn't mind seeing the Sanchez/Florian rematch for the vacated title, with the winner facing Sean Sherk if he wins his match against Frank Edgar at UFC 98.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I wouldn't be overly surprised to see some of Eddie Alvarez, KJ Noons, Gilbert Melendez and JZ Calvacante in the octagon within the next 12 months as well. Sherk and Florian are the only credible contenders in the division at the moment and I can't see either of them beating BJ, and more importantly neither fight is a big draw.

Who knows, maybe Diego Sanchez will rediscover his mojo at 155.

It's pretty much decided as it is.

Ken Flo is next to get a shot at BJ.
    Sherk and Edgars are fighting at UFC 98, whover wins that will be the number one contender.

The Guida vs Diaz fight will set up one of the parties who will fight for the number one contender slot after that.

Beneath those you have Griffin, and - if he can take time off from his busy modeling career:rolleyes: - Huerta.

All in all it's a ridiculously stacked division.

BJ, KenFlo, Edgars, Sherk, Guida, Diaz, Griffin, Huerta, and even the likes of Danzig and Maynard and Lauzon pushing for a chance at contendership.
    Add to that the hopefully rejuvinated Sanchez, and there are literally endless posabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

It's pretty much decided as it is.

Ken Flo is next to get a shot at BJ.
    Sherk and Edgars are fighting at UFC 98, whover wins that will be the number one contender.

The Guida vs Diaz fight will set up one of the parties who will fight for the number one contender slot after that.

Beneath those you have Griffin, and - if he can take time off from his busy modeling career:rolleyes: - Huerta.

All in all it's a ridiculously stacked division.

BJ, KenFlo, Edgars, Sherk, Guida, Diaz, Griffin, Huerta, and even the likes of Danzig and Maynard and Lauzon pushing for a chance at contendership.
    Add to that the hopefully rejuvinated Sanchez, and there are literally endless posabilities.

It's a stacked division alright, but I can't see any of those you mentioned beating BJ, or even coming close. A couple of those from outside the UFC might stand a chance.

Advertisement