Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Edwards coming to Helix

Options
  • 19-01-2009 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭

In september. Anyone going?

I love his shows but i have a read a lot of negative things about ear pieces, plants etc

I would be gutted if this was true.

I went to see COlin Fry when i was pregnant and one reading was about a kid i think his mum was from my area and i was really cut up for a long time after.

Anyone going to see him?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭poster

I booked to see him anyway, you will always get the stories, he is a great medium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 muddled

poster wrote: »
    I booked to see him anyway, you will always get the stories, he is a great medium

I've been dying to see him live since I first saw his television programme. I am a very sceptical person, but I get the strongest feeling he's legit.

Is it safe to assume "John Edward Seminar" is the standard "show"? I am tempted to go, but live way down in West Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I have some magic beans for sale too.

Seriously, do not waste your money on charlatans like this guy. Cold reading and distraction, thats all it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 muddled

bigkev49 wrote: »
    I have some magic beans for sale too.

Seriously, do not waste your money on charlatans like this guy. Cold reading and distraction, thats all it is.

Maybe you're right-since my last post I have been doing more research about him. Not sure I want to waste €75 + flights and hotel.;)

What EXACTLY will the magic beans do again..................

muddled wrote: »
    Maybe you're right-since my last post I have been doing more research about him. Not sure I want to waste €75 + flights and hotel.;)

What EXACTLY will the magic beans do again..................

What do YOU want them to do? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

I think those of us who want to believe will believe. There will always be charlatons, who ruin the reputations of the genuinely gifted.

I think unless you get an actual reading yourself, its hard to be convinced but even if you did get a reading and he knew things only the person passed knew, if your mind is closed to these things you will always find another explanation. (thats not directed at anyone in particular just skeptics in general).

Of course the show is edited so even more reason for the skeptics to go along to a live performance :p

I like to think its true and if nothing else it is entertaining!

I got my tickets!!

Anyone else going?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 starpixie

I got my tickets:)

Any more takers for the Magic Beans?

I hate that this guy is making money from preying on the bereaved. I lost someone in tragic circumstances a few years back and I remember someone advising me to go see someone like this, the laugh that I had at the suggestion actually cheered me up no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

I am going on the Saturday, and am looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

South park did a great episode on this guy.

"Biggest douche in the universe" i think was the title.

I have no problem with the idea of meduims in theory but the type that charge for a studio audience and tv show...... doesnt exactly ring true with me

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I dont understand why he's twice the price of Colin Fry who is playing the same venue in November?

http://www.paranormal.ie/events.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Issybella

I seen John Edward in the Helix last Sept - had high expectations (already seen Colin Fry & derek arocah numerous times) .
    I thought he wasnt great to be honest, not bad as such, just not outstanding and i thought colin fry was alot better. But they all have different techniques. But the cost of ticket doesnt justify his show being any better than the UK mediums.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

Hi my mother and aunt are going to the show next week... and I was just wondering what kinda running time is on these shows?
    IE it starts at 7PM.. about what time would it be finished?

Any help greatly appreciated
    -Jr

I made a big boo boo with my tickets, i arranged everything for friday but the tickets are for saturday

Unless i can get a swap i cant go :(

Funny thing is i kept getting 11th september, the date came up for unrelated events about 20 times and it stuck in my head, I should've checked sooner :p

6th wrote: »
    I dont understand why he's twice the price of Colin Fry who is playing the same venue in November?

http://www.paranormal.ie/events.html

No idea, the americans do everything big! Would that have anything to do with it, his costs coming from the states as opposed to colin fry just from UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ElectricSkeptic

Hi Folks,

I've seen a few posts on the page saying that they were a little underwhelmed after going to see big name mediums performing live. You have to remember that if people like John Edwards broadcasted their mistakes on air then they wouldn't be on TV for very long.... Edwards is a cold-reader, plain and simple. He uses broad statements and the information you give him to fabricate a convincing (at least to the feable minded) charade. The fact of the matter is that he, and many more like him, are just spit balling until they hit upon something that is correct and they latch on to it. They inevitably get more misses than hits but these are edited out for broadcasts.

These guys are fakes, frauds, charlatans, whatever you want to call them.... The idea of someone handing over money to watch these eejits actually makes me sick to my stomach. I would not be as audacious as to tell anyone what to believe in but when it concerns something as ludicrous as talking to the dead I have to speak my mind.

The James Randi Foundation offers a certified check for a million dollars to anyone who demonstrate paranormal activity in a controlled test. Few have tried and none have succeeded in claiming the prize.

I urge, nay beg you not to buy into this stuff. This man is a creep who makes a living out other people loss and bereavement. He is lowly conman with a flashy show.

"Anyone can talk to the dead....... getting them to talk back is the problem"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

Well even though you said you wouldnt want to tell people what to think, you still are.....its each individuals choice what they wish to believe and not have people like you saying they make you sick. Have your opinion about it like veryone else, thats fine but dont give the other people a hard time. I went to see him and there are some things he said to people that were in now way broad statements...they could not have been for anyone else, not possible. You cant have an opinion on something you have never witnessed first hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Jolly85

Hi there,

Did anyone attend any of today's seminar's? I'm going to the afternoon one tomorrow and would love to know how it went for you? I'm not sure what to expect in regards to amount of people there, will it be as we see it on television; intimate and personel, length of the seminar etc etc.

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks in advance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

john edwards is the biggest douche in the world

his tv shows have up to 90% of the content edited away, he'll say something like theres a bad connection or theres a blockage or the dead relative went away from the room.

• Advertisement

Jolly85 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Did anyone attend any of today's seminar's? I'm going to the afternoon one tomorrow and would love to know how it went for you? I'm not sure what to expect in regards to amount of people there, will it be as we see it on television; intimate and personel, length of the seminar etc etc.

Hi Jolly,

I went to the show yesterday afternoon. He was there for just under two-and-a-half hours. It was so much better than the tv show, and he is most definitely one of the genuine ones IMHO. As a previous poster said, some of the information given to people could not be done by cold reading. To me it did feel quite itimate and personal, and I would most definitely go to one of his shows again.

you may have been at the one i was at then.....was that the one where he told the woman at the front she had one foot biggger than the other??!!

Jolly85 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Went to see him yesterday afternoon.....very good. Didnt get areading myself but the ones he did were amazing, the information he knew about them was not broad, they were very specific things. He also has a great dry wit kind of sense of humour and he can be very funny adn great to listen to his stories. You wont be disappointed! It wont be as intimate as the gallery show on tv, there are about 1000 people there but its still small enough and doesnt matter where you are sitting to get a reading, ushers go around with microphones. Enjoy!

lmahoney79 wrote: »
    you may have been at the one i was at then.....was that the one where he told the woman at the front she had one foot biggger than the other??!!

Yep, that's the one.

john edwards is the biggest douche in the world

his tv shows have up to 90% of the content edited away, he'll say something like theres a bad connection or theres a blockage or the dead relative went away from the room.

I believe he was voted the biggest douche in the universe.

People making the argument that everyone is entitled to their opinion, that's grand in most circumstances but when it comes to financing charlatans like this gob****e; no, they should not be entitled to opinions. They should be made to listen to reason and shown how cold reading works, forcibly if necessary. So much for the enlightenment and the age of reason. :rolleyes:

It actually frightens me that there are people living in this society that will pay money to be made a fool of in such a fashion. I'm linking to two videos; one of Derren Brown, a guy that has made a career out of misdirection and trickery, the difference is that he is an entertainer, owns up to his trickery and misdirection and explains it so as to educate people and move on to the next stunt, not peddle the same nonsense over and over and over again.

The other is Richard Dawkins, who seems to have made it his lifes work to expose frauds and combat the ludicrous industries that have built vast empires on peoples fears and insecurities.

Dawkins on the enemies of reason.

Derren Brown on cold reading.

I believe he was voted the biggest douche in the universe.

People making the argument that everyone is entitled to their opinion, that's grand in most circumstances but when it comes to financing charlatans like this gob****e; no, they should not be entitled to opinions. They should be made to listen to reason and shown how cold reading works, forcibly if necessary. So much for the enlightenment and the age of reason. :rolleyes:

It is not an opinion, it is a belief. I am entitled to my beliefs, same as you are to yours.

It is not an opinion, it is a belief. I am entitled to my beliefs, same as you are to yours.

Even when your belief has been deconstructed, disassembled, explained and exposed as fraudulent so many times and by so many people?

Even when your belief has been deconstructed, disassembled, explained and exposed as fraudulent so many times and by so many people?

I don't need to defend my beliefs, unlike you who seems intent on proving otherwise.

I don't need to defend my beliefs, unlike you who seems intent on proving otherwise.

A bit early to play the keyboard warrior card, no?

The last time I checked this was a discussion forum, i.e. for discussion. All I'm asking is how can you believe in something that has been disproven and discredited so thoroughly?

If it was your belief that the earth was in fact flat, could you be persuaded otherwise when shown a photograph of the globe from outer space?

I'm genuinely not interested in a flame war, or whatever it's called. A good friend of mine is big into psychics/astrology, all that jazz. We've had a number of pretty heated discussions about it but still remain good friends. So anyway, discuss.

• Advertisement

It is not a warrior card - is a fact. Beliefs, are not something that need to be defended, as my beliefs are MY beliefs. Your belief not to believe is your own personal belief.

As already stated, I don't feel a need to defend my beliefs, as they are what I believe in, and I have no need to try to persuade you of my beliefs, whereas you seem intent on trying to disparge my belief system.

Advertisement