Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shared Wall - who's reposible - Council or Me?

Options
  • 19-01-2009 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

I have a question which I thought people here might be able to answer, before I go as Dublin City Council. Basically I share a wall with my neighbour whose renting from Dublin City Council. I've only been living there a year, but the wall has clearly been in bad condition for some time. Its probably not about to fall over but is cracked and sagging. My own place was originally built by the council (then Corpo), as would the wall have been.

I'm wondering if the Council could save me (and my neighbour)the cost of fixing the wall, if it was their responsibility. I mentioned this to my neighbour but although interested by the idea, he didn't seem in a hurry to do anything about it. Nothing specific on DCCs website or Citizens Information. It does look like the tenant is reponsible for internal superfical repairs, but something like this is the Council's responsibility.

Just wanted to sure of the situation, before I called them, in case they just try to fob me off with an excuse. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dandelion

Boundary walls can be held in common meaning both properties share the wall, or in some cases each property owns the left or the right side wall. It is usually stated in the deeds or covered in recquisitions on title before you buy. So if you don't know you need to check with your solicitor.

Advertisement