Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you insure a scooter monthly?

• 19-01-2009 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

Hi. Can you insure a scooter monthly or does it have to be yearly? Reason I ask is I only want to be insured for a couple of months on a scooter i bought today while my car gets some work. i understand that i can drive a 50cc on a full B license but I forgot to ask Quinn if i could insure the scooter monthly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

When did you receive your B license? If it was after 2005 (I think) you won't have had M added onto it. As far as insurance, Quinn do have a direct debit option, which I suppose you could cancel when you're done with riding but there is a large enough first payment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

You can cancel a policy at any time and the insurance company is obliged to give you a refund of your remaining year of cover less their cancellation fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

When did you receive your B license? If it was after 2005 (I think) you won't have had M added onto it. As far as insurance, Quinn do have a direct debit option, which I suppose you could cancel when you're done with riding but there is a large enough first payment.

I got my provisional A,B,M & W in 2001 to 2006 i think. and I got my full B in september 2006. never took a theory test and my A,M & W licenses I let expire. Does that help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

goz83 wrote: »
    I got my provisional A,B,M & W in 2001 to 2006 i think. and I got my full B in september 2006. never took a theory test and my A,M & W licenses I let expire. Does that help?

It doesn't help you. You don't have an M licence so you cant drive the scooter you just bought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

As KTRIC says, you've no M licence, but you can always apply for an A1 learner permit. And you will have to pay an annual premium for insurance, but you might be able to pay in installments. Not sure if they'll do that for a first-timer, but you can always ask. And you can get a refund if you cancel the policy.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Be aware that if you cancel a policy midway, you may be charged an additonal fee for the cancellation. And you wont gain any no claims discount for the time you have the policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

a_ominous wrote: »
    As KTRIC says, you've no M licence, but you can always apply for an A1 learner permit. And you will have to pay an annual premium for insurance, but you might be able to pay in installments. Not sure if they'll do that for a first-timer, but you can always ask. And you can get a refund if you cancel the policy.

The OP is better off appyling for an A learners permit, not limited to <125cc. Most insurers do installments and Quinn definately do
    Oryx wrote: »
    Be aware that if you cancel a policy midway, you may be charged an additonal fee for the cancellation. And you wont gain any no claims discount for the time you have the policy.

There's usually a rolling scale on what you get back, cancel with 2 months gone get 8 months back. They OP only wants insurnace for a few months, don't think their too worried about NCB, but they could be converted;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

goz83 wrote: »

I got all that sorted out. Turns out that if you got your full B license before October 2006, you can drive a moped of 50cc or below. I bought the moped for €600, insured it and sold it after 2 weeks for €1100. so not too bad but i thought the above info would be helpful to others.

Advertisement