Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

passat '99 water leak problem

Options
  • 19-01-2009 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭

can anyone help please.

I have a '99 passat 1.9 tdi. I went to get into the driver side the other day and found a nice pool of water at my feet. I got rid of the water and dried it as best I could but I have heard of the problem before. ECU, wiring gets destroyed etc..
    So how do I fix this if possible. The lights havent started flashing madly one the dash or anything YET so maybe it hasnt affected it yet but that said I'm scared that its only a matter of time.
    As far as I'm aware there some parts that get clogged that need to be drained out etc that will help..

Ok thats it any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Two things are regular causes of water leaking into the cabin on that model Passat. The first is due to an incorrectly fitted/damaged pollen filter cover and the second is a build up of debris (leaves, etc) in the plenumb chamber - this is the chamber that's under the bonnet between the engine and the windscreen. It's usually covered by a plastic shield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭emurphy

cheers for that. I just had it serviced recently so would they have replaced that filter your talking about by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Pollen filters are usually replaced during routine servicing. However, they are not necessarily replaced at each service. If the leak has only been present since the service then that would be the place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭skibum

This might help: http://www.weirdlittlebiscuit.com/passat/leak/

Lots of Passat info on this forum eg:http://www.ukpassats.co.uk/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=8&sid=a20c8156da1bca303dd15ce0e46fb7b1

When I went to check my plenum drains, the area was like a swimming pool, the drains do get clogged very easily.

As already mentioned the pollen filter is another area to look out for. Plenty of tips on the ukpassats forum.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Has happened a few times on my 99 Passat. After particularly heavy rain, check the chamber to see if there is water sloshing around, or if you drive off you may hear it. Stop straight away and get the tyre iron or similar to clear the blockage. A local mechanic told me someone came in with half the electrics fried from this happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

skibum wrote: »

Had the same problem with my 99 passat. The above link will fix the problem nicely, however if you want a temp solution just feel around for the draining bungs - you cannot get to the one under the battery but you can find the one on the oposite side under the brake cylinder. Now just get a twig or pin and clear the debri blocking it.

Advertisement