Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish Registrations

Options
  • 19-01-2009 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering does anyone have a list of when each county's number stopped for Irish cars.

Eg. In 05,for Limerick, the last car registered in that year was 05-Lk-XXXX

Basicallly any car reg higher than 05-LK-xxxx is an import.

I know there is a list somewhere, i remember talking to someone who new what each county was. If i'm not being clear in what i'm asking let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

What is the correct letter for limerick on the number plates. I have seen both L and LK. Which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Both. One is Limerick City, one is Co. Limerick. Same deal with W and WD for Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Stephen wrote: »
    Both. One is Limerick City, one is Co. Limerick. Same deal with W and WD for Waterford.

Aye and there are plans to bring in CK and GY and some other ones, also some to split up Dublin ie. for Finglas etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Just wondering does anyone have a list of when each county's number stopped for Irish cars.

I know there is a list somewhere, i remember talking to someone who new what each county was. If i'm not being clear in what i'm asking let me know.

lets suppose a January 05 was imported in November 05... wouldn't this make the list inaccurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

snowman707 wrote: »
    lets suppose a January 05 was imported in November 05... wouldn't this make the list inaccurate?

how do you mean?

If you import a car that was originally reg'd in Jan 05 in the uk, it'll still go to the end of the list of 05 numbers here.

• Advertisement

snowman707 wrote: »

No, your right. It will make it inaccurate alright, and i had thought of that. The last irish reg'd car will give you an indication though that anything after that is definitly imported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

I used to have a spreadsheet at work that showed the final reg no.'s from 87 -05 I got it from a local insurance company for quotation purposes. I can check tomorrow to see if I still have it. Can I ask the reason why you're lookin for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

You can get a good idea of the number of cars per county from this doc...

http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/transport/current/vehlica.pdf

Not 100 percent accurate as these are figures for the cars the were 'licensed' i.e. motor tax paid for the first time and it won't take into account reserved registration numbers that weren't taken up within the year. But I reckon those figures would still be within 1% of the registered number.

CoDy1 wrote: »
    I used to have a spreadsheet at work that showed the final reg no.'s from 87 -05 I got it from a local insurance company for quotation purposes. I can check tomorrow to see if I still have it. Can I ask the reason why you're lookin for it?

Pure curiousity. It's generally easy to tell, but i'd just like to have the numbers.

robbie99 wrote: »
    You can get a good idea of the number of cars per county from this doc...

http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/transport/current/vehlica.pdf

Not 100 percent accurate as these are figures for the cars the were 'licensed' i.e. motor tax paid for the first time and it won't take into account reserved registration numbers that weren't taken up within the year. But I reckon those figures would still be within 1% of the registered number.

Looks good, although they do skip alot of regs. Anything nice and they skip it lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The Car Sales Guide (the book) has this information from 2000 - 2006 on pages 16 & 17. It says its "as issued at 31st December each year". Looks accurate as it says Dublin in 2002 finished at 77622 and I know a guy who had an imported 2002 car back in 06 with an 80000+ plate number.

05L3320 & 05LK5985 were the last 2 for Limerick ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Stekelly wrote: »
    how do you mean?

If you import a car that was originally reg'd in Jan 05 in the uk, it'll still go to the end of the list of 05 numbers here.

what more irish cars are reg. later on in 05 ?? they will be higher than the import ...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

This would be useful in general but you couldn't rely on it completely as an import may have been registered on a reserved number. This did happen a bit with high-end imports.

Anan1 wrote: »
    This would be useful in general but you couldn't rely on it completely as an import may have been registered on a reserved number. This did happen a bit with high-end imports.

Ah ya i understand that alright. As i said you can generally tell if it's a high enough reg for the county, but it's still handy to have. Generally it's easy enough, depending on the car, to tell if it's English or not. Mainly if it has factory extra's it's English:P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Aye and there are plans to bring in CK and GY and some other ones, also some to split up Dublin ie. for Finglas etc.
    :eek:

Fingal not Finglas! ;)

Anan1 wrote: »
    There are also a lot of numbers not used in the normal sequence and that will probably increase now that they've killed the goose that laid the golden eggs. :(
    it's easy enough, depending on the car, to tell if it's English or not. Mainly if it has factory extra's it's English:P
    Don't they put the extras on the Scotch, Welsh or Northern Ireland cars? :)

Don't they put the extras on the Scotch, Welsh or Northern Ireland cars? :)

It's actually funny that you picked me up on that, because i can remember when i was writing that, that i should write down imported rather than English, but i didn't think i'd get picked up on it:p:pac::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

Anyone able to tell me if it is legal to or if it is done here on Irish Plates to put a business name or website name in smaller lettering on the bottom of your car plates....ie

05-D-1234
    www.dublin.net

English cars have it.....the car I just imported has the CAR Dealers at the bottom?

There is a very simple answer to that, anything out of the ordinary is illegal. Get reg plates surrounds made up with the logo on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

There is a very simple answer to that, anything out of the ordinary is illegal. Get reg plates surrounds made up with the logo on it.

No entirely true . . . . I had the pleasant experience of a trip no court for my plates and it turns out the font can be whatever you like as long as it is 70mm high the the dash's are properly spaced, there's a pdf floating around with the regulations somewhere :pac:

also my cars imported to Waterford and has the reg 4077 would be interested to see the list

rex-x wrote: »
    No entirely true . . . . I had the pleasant experience of a trip no court for my plates and it turns out the font can be whatever you like as long as it is 70mm high the the dash's are properly spaced, there's a pdf floating around with the regulations somewhere :pac:

also my cars imported to Waterford and has the reg 4077 would be interested to see the list

Ya they have to be 70mm high by 36mm. We are one of few European countries where a standard font isn't required.

But in relation to the fact of having anything written on the plate it's a no no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

Thanks.....where to get such a thing done???

Thanks.....where to get such a thing done???

Off hand i don't know, but i can find some where for ya if you like?

Advertisement