Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi Key

Options
  • 19-01-2009 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

I got delivery of an Audi 3 button key for my 98 A3 today. Bought it on ebay. Checked before Christmas to make sure that they're re-programmable etc. and was told by two guys that it was. They both quoted around the €100 mark for the cut and programme before Christmas, today however, one has said that "there's no way the key can be re-programmed" and the other said "no probs, €150". Neither have seen the key yet.

Sort of pissed off by it. Im living in South County Dublin if anyone can recommend this to be done. Any suggestions/advice would be great!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I got delivery of an Audi 3 button key for my 98 A3 today. Bought it on ebay. Checked before Christmas to make sure that they're re-programmable etc. and was told by two guys that it was. They both quoted around the €100 mark for the cut and programme before Christmas, today however, one has said that "there's no way the can be re-programmed" and the other said "no probs, €150". Neither have seen the key yet.

Sort of pissed off by it. Im living in South County Dublin if anyone can recommend this to be done. Any suggestions/advice would be great!!

Ordered a replacement for 02 A4 Quattro fom Ebay also. I believe that if my car was 05 or later then it is a dealer only reprogramming but prior to this there is a chance, particularly if you have a numeric code that came with the original documentation.

That said, Audi ( Navan Rd ) got aa call from me last week. €140 for the key, which is cut in Germany, and €55 for the reprogramming. ( + VAT ) so you're looking at in excess of €200 if you were to go down the Stealership road. But you've bought the key now....... I'm hoping that a colleague of mine ( a dealer ) is accurate with his promise that we can get the key cut and programmed for €50. A mobile unit, comes to your door. Here's hoping ;)

Anyway, what year is your car ? And did you check the part number inside the key fob housing before you ordered ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭poker-jacks

dodzy wrote: »
    Ordered a replacement for 02 A4 Quattro fom Ebay also. I believe that if my car was 05 or later then it is a dealer only reprogramming but prior to this there is a chance, particularly if you have a numeric code that came with the original documentation.

That said, Audi ( Navan Rd ) got aa call from me last week. €140 for the key, which is cut in Germany, and €55 for the reprogramming. ( + VAT ) so you're looking at in excess of €200 if you were to go down the Stealership road. But you've bought the key now....... I'm hoping that a colleague of mine ( a dealer ) is accurate with his promise that we can get the key cut and programmed for €50. A mobile unit, comes to your door. Here's hoping ;)

Anyway, what year is your car ? And did you check the part number inside the key fob housing before you ordered ?

Mine is a 98, when I spoke to those two guys before chrimbo they both implied that the older the car, the more likely it was to be ok.

I didnt check the fob number before I bought tbh. And when it arrived today it was separated, and stupidly i decided to push it back together. €50 to your door sounds fairly appealing.. Which dealer is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I had to call a locksmith out for my Golf after the keys went AWOL while in Dublin at Christmas. €300 for - call out, break-in, scan for code, key cut and programmed,
    all within an hour of calling. ;)
    I'm sure a key on it's own would be a lot less.

http://www.autolockandhouse.com/

Mine is a 98, when I spoke to those two guys before chrimbo they both implied that the older the car, the more likely it was to be ok.

I didnt check the fob number before I bought tbh. And when it arrived today it was separated, and stupidly i decided to push it back together. €50 to your door sounds fairly appealing.. Which dealer is that?

Not sure but am expecting 2 keys this week. Once I get them, we'll arrange this guy to do both keys, one mine. one for colleague ( '03 A4 TDi ) so if all goes well, i'll PM you his no and get a price. You can split the fob easily enough. Small flathead screwdriver. The P/N is on the back part of the key.

Mine is 8Z0 837231D with freq of 433.92MHz for example. No harm in checking as I believe these have to match. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

• Advertisement

JoeySully wrote: »

It works for the central locking reprogramming only. Not the immobilizer. And yes, there are people out there paying £2.99 for these instructions off Ebay :eek:

Basically, you will be able to get into and lock the car, but she'll not start ;)
    For this you need at least a vag-com, or for later model, a dealership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭poker-jacks

Just looking back on this thread here which is where i got a contact number for the two guys I called before. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054919130 Funnily enough it was your man Ciaran who quoted me the best price and was most positive before Christmas, and now he doesn't seem to want to do it.

Was thinking of getting the Vag Com software and programming it myself and having it cut elsewhere. Would this be easy??

Also, if Lanno is reading this thread, which car do you have that you got the key cut for?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mendo

Hi All,

I own a '99 VW with only one key (the system is the same for VW, AUDI, Skoda).
    I ordered the second key from Brady's a couple of years ago for 44 euro including VAT (if I remember correctly).
    The problem was that, when I rang them to program the key, the man on the phone had no idea how long it would take and how much it will cost.
    He said to me "leave the car with us and we will see, but it will cost more that 100 euro".
    I rang them again in January 2009, because I heard from someone that the WV delars are programing keys for 40 euro, but it wasn't true, Brady's said again that is at least 100 euro.

Regards,

Mendo

P.S.

There are two different problems with a new key, the central locking sytem and the immobiliser.
    I will only refer to the immobiliser part (I think the central locking can be done easyer).
    There are a few type of transponders in the keys.
    The old ones, can be read and cloned in a new transponder (I noticed in Blanch a key cuting center that does them).

The new type transponders in the key can't be read and no cloning will be possible.
    But if you have the SKC code (or something like that) with the right software can be done very easy.
    I think that the VAG-COM software will work to reprogram the key .
    All keys have to be reprogramed again in the immobiliser.

If you don't have the SKC code, the immobiliser has to be scaned and the code is read and used to program the keys again.
    The problem is that the scan has to be done with another type of cable (not the one used for the VAG-COM) and not using the VAG-COM and it will work only with certain types of immobilisers.
    If you have (the best combination from a security point of view) a new type transponder and a immo that can't be read, then only the dealer can do the programming.
    Even the dealer can't give you the SKC, because the programming is done remotely from Germany with a device that connects to your car and then connects to a database over the internet in Germany.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Mr Locksmith

Give Jason at Alpha lock and safe in Tallaght a call and he will look after you.

Advertisement