Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork-Kerry Border Snow

• 19-01-2009 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Drove from Tralee to Bantry this afternoon via Killarney - Kilgarvan - Borlin. (shortcut over a much underused bad mountain pass. I got a fair fright to plough on up over the pass but with RWD in my car I managed it.)

At the summit of the pass which is around 2000ft above sea level I was encountering around 7 - 8 inches of snow and snow drifts were forming. About two thirds the way up I stopped to take these photos on the Kerry side.

On the Kerry side of the mountains (Rusheen Valley)

Photo 1
    Photo 2
    Photo 3
    Photo 4
    Photo 5
    Photo 6
    Photo 7

The scenery in the background on the Kerry side was where some of The Wind that Shakes the Barley was filmed I believe.

On the Rebel Republic side of the Border (Borlin Valley) I took these about half way down to the basin floor.

Photo 8
    Photo 9
    Photo 10
    Photo 11
    Photo 12

There was decent snow up there and the driving was fun in a morbid sort of way, getting traction to get the car going after taking a few of those photos was a challenge but I did it! Coming home the snow had deepened and it was white-out conditions with the onset of darkness and dusk. This was first decent snow in Ireland for a good few years, it just shows it is there you just have to go looking for it. The snow on the roads in one of my photos is light but up higher it was intense and I did not stop on the hill because if I did I doubt I would have had the traction to get moving again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

awesome snow photos with some great scenery too. thanks a lot for uploading them

Advertisement