Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

40 today

• 19-01-2009 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭

Steve Staunton

Not a success as Ireland manager, but we should not forget his successful career for club and country.

Happy birthday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

No best wishes from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Didn't think he was 40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

god he's only 40 then why did he come across senile as the irish manager, didnt think that could set in in the 30s. well learn somethin new everyday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Happy birthday Stan. Our most capped and one of the 20 best players to play for Ireland. After a couple of difficult seasons reinvented himself as a centre half and was Irelands best player at the 2002 world cup.
    40th birthdays are a potential bananna skin though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Happy birthday Stan. Our most capped and one of the 20 best players to play for Ireland. After a couple of difficult seasons reinvented himself as a centre half and was Irelands best player at the 2002 world cup.
    40th birthdays are a potential bananna skin though!

He really wasn't!

An Citeog wrote: »
    He really wasn't!

you could at least justify that by saying who was so.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Considering the mess he made of Leeds' defence this season he won't be getting a birthday card from me. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Tomthepost wrote: »
    you could at least justify that by saying who was so.

Duff, Finnan, Given and Robbie Keane were all infinitely better than him.

An Citeog wrote: »
    Duff, Finnan, Given and Robbie Keane were all infinitely better than him.

Stan and breen were our best players in my opinion as hard to believe as it may sound. If it wasn't for Harte we probably would not have conceded a goal in the tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Wonderful player for Ireland, Liverpool and Villa. Not the greatest manager/coach in the world, but who is?
    Took the brunt for our lack of depth as a footballing country, with some cheap shots and very nasty journalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

SectionF wrote: »
    Wonderful player for Ireland, Liverpool and Villa. Not the greatest manager/coach in the world, but who is?
    Took the brunt for our lack of depth as a footballing country, with some cheap shots and very nasty journalism.
    Agree with whats in bold. And it must have been tough for him to have the media all over him like that.
    But
    not the greatest manager/coach, shambolic would be my idea of a fair reflection.

I don't blame him though, its the man who gave him the job I blame. He should never in a million years have even been considered for it, with or without Bobby Robson as his 'advisor'.

It was nothing more than a huge insult to Brian Kerr that he was shafted adn replaced by that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

eagle eye wrote: »
    It was nothing more than a huge insult to Brian Kerr that he was shafted adn replaced by that.

Meh, Kerr deserved everything he got after he went, begging-bowl in hand, to Royston Keanes throne to plead with him to come back. No wonder rumours of him having lost the dressing room came out soon after.

Happy Birthday Stan. Sure you sucked as Ireland manager but it's not as if you didn't give it your all or had anything much to work with to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Ive seen this "shafted" talk here before. Exactly how was Kerr shafted by the FAI? He presided over two qualifiers with an arguably better, certainly fitter younger squad where most matches could be summed up with early leads and conceding slopping equalisers. When it came to the crunch games (Israel, the final game vs Switzerland) his players never pulled it off. Granted what replaced him was much worse, but he basically failed in two attempts to get to tournaments. Most international managers would get the boot after failing the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Anyone? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Since when does this forum celebrate anyones birthday?

shane86 wrote: »
    Ive seen this "shafted" talk here before. Exactly how was Kerr shafted by the FAI? He presided over two qualifiers with an arguably better, certainly fitter younger squad where most matches could be summed up with early leads and conceding slopping equalisers. When it came to the crunch games (Israel, the final game vs Switzerland) his players never pulled it off. Granted what replaced him was much worse, but he basically failed in two attempts to get to tournaments. Most international managers would get the boot after failing the first time.
    What age are you, do you not remeber when he took over. He took the reigns after we had lost our first two games in Euro qualifiers and we lost them games to the teams that advanced from our group. We had 0 points after them games and they had 6 each. We closed the gap on both of them over the remaining games but didn't get there. So we were the best team in our group under Brian Kerr.
    We go to the World Cup qualifiers and the big result there was when Henry scored a wonder goal against us at Lansdowne when we were all over them for a lot of the game. Even so we did not qualify, but look what happened to the teams that did qualify. Switzerland topped the group in the first round of the finals and France went on to get beaten in the final. So in fairness they both done well.

But in my estimation, Brian Kerr got a run at the World Cup and that was it, he could do nothing about our situtation in the Euros when he took over. He was sacked after the World Cup campaign, that was his only chance and he didn't fail miserably, three points behind the group winners and eventual World Cup finalists does not seem like a bad enough campaign to get sacked over.

Edit to add, but even more insulting was what got the job after him. What a way to treat a life long servant of the FAI. From the LOI to the Youths, he always gave his all and succeeded in the long term. It was a disgrace the way he was treated.

shane86 wrote: »

He was given one qualifying series. He was already 6points down when he joined in the first one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

SantryRed wrote: »
    He was given one qualifying series. He was already 6points down when he joined in the first one.

He was given 16 qualifiers to prove himself and couldn't beat anyone better than Cyprus.

Pigman II wrote: »
    He was given 16 qualifiers to prove himself and couldn't beat anyone better than Cyprus.
    This just shows how easy stats make life for the argumentative ones. Throw out a one line and forget all that he did and all that I've just posted as analysis by considering the performance in the finals of the two teams who qualified ahead of us. Beating us there by 3 points and 1 point.

• Advertisement

At least we were good defensively under him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

kincsem wrote: »
    Steve Staunton

Not a success as Ireland manager, but we should not forget his successful career for club and country.

Not a success? Not a success?? NOT A SUCCESS??

Can Xavi6 pencil in an "The understatement of the Soccer Forum 2009" award?

dfx- wrote: »
    Not a success? Not a success?? NOT A SUCCESS??

Can Xavi6 pencil in an "The understatement of the Soccer Forum 2009" award?
    In comparison to what other Irish Managers?

John Giles
    Never qualified for anything.
    Eoin Hand
    Never qualified for anything.
    Jack Charlton
    Brought in a bunch of mercenaries to get the job done.
    Mick McCarthy
    Qualifield for a World Cup despite his best managerial efforts to make a mess of it. And that was after failing to qualify for the '98 World cup and the Euros in 2000.
    Steve Stauton
    lol

For my money he was the best of that lot as a Manager. Jack got us there but I've said my bit above, I loved it at the time and still remember those times with fondness but he used a gang of foreigners to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Stan made some very odd and atrocious decisions at times. In fairness to him he should never have been offered the job considering his lack of experience and some blame to him also for taking the job knowing that himself. Some players I know get handed big club jobs with no experience either which I also dont approve of (I am a serve your time guy) buy I rate International football as a different kettle of fish. It needs experience and I dont think many would argue it doesnt. I wasnt sorry to see him go and I think he does deserve a certain level of criticism as do the FAI who were only looking for a cheap deal in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Staunton was a joke as a manager and a joke as a person, ill never forgive him:(

Advertisement