Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance on a recovery truck?

Options
  • 19-01-2009 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

hey all,
    An insurance question really,
    I am from a trade background and finding work very slack at the moment so i am 'looking into' buying a truck and starting up a 24 hour recovery service as I like driving,have drove all over Europe and USA, know a lot about cars and am a bit of a night owl!
    So i am wondering what hurdles I will encounter with this venture,I imagine i will need the appropriate class of licence for the given truck,and i am sure i would need special insurance for carrying expensive vehicles?
    And as anybody that has ever been towed knows its not cheap so I think I could make reasonable money at it until things pick up again,just a thought really,what you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

You need contacts at that game... a motor trade policy will cover a tow truck or you can take out a specific comercial policy just for that.Is not as easy as people think. Its a usefull thing to have if you are allready in the trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

We use a guy with a truck in work for local collections / deliveries. The main purpose of his work is 24 hour breakdown recovery.

He has never been unavailable to do a job for me with 30 mins notice :eek:

From that I get the impression that he makes his money elsewhere and picks up income on the side with the recovery / transport business.

I wouldn't be pinning my hopes on breakdown recovery as a main source of income, unless you can bag a contract with the NRA or an insurance company.

Advertisement