Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman - not impressed

• 19-01-2009 9:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Quick rant then I'm off..

Was looking for a new TV on Saturday just. Set on the Sony 40W4000. Started ringing round for prices. Sony Centre, DID, SoundStore, few more. All around the €1150 mark.

Called Harvey Norman, they have it in stock..

Great - how much please?
    Can't tell you. We're having a sale and it's policy not to give prices out over the phone.
    Ah, ok. Well the other shops have them for about €1100 ish. Are you more or less than that?
    Can't tell you I'm sorry. All I can say is come down before 6pm for our special sale prices.

So off I go, expecting a bargain.... €1250!!

Meh. Waste of bloody time. She could have said.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Multivan

benifa wrote: »

Was looking for a new TV on Saturday just. Set on the Sony 40W4000. Started ringing round for prices. Sony Centre, DID, SoundStore, few more. All around the €1150 mark.

Great - how much please?
    Can't tell you. We're having a sale and it's policy not to give prices out over the phone.
    Ah, ok. Well the other shops have them for about €1100 ish. Are you more or less than that?
    Can't tell you I'm sorry. All I can say is come down before 6pm for our special sale prices.

I went to look for a Coffee Table! 350 federal Beuros for 4 lenghts of wood and one small sheet of wood on top!!

Get outta that garden,

Yid make one for yer self easy!

They were just skimming the cream off the top for years when the money was rolling in but theyre screwed now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Go in with a 1000 in your hand and they will probably give it to you, make some waffle about going to DID or Sound Store for cheaper prices.. You gotta haggle with these people.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

dazftw wrote: »
    You gotta haggle with these people.

I just avoid them. Legalised gangsters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

dazftw wrote: »
    Go in with a 1000 in your hand and they will probably give it to you, make some waffle about going to DID or Sound Store for cheaper prices.. You gotta haggle with these people.

Yep dead right. One of the sales lads in there I was talking to on Saturday told me to go away and try to get cheaper prices elsewhere. Get them down as a written quote. Then bring it to them and they'll do anything they can to stop you buying somewhere else.

It's finally a case of the buyer having the power because fewer people are spending so if you're one of the few, everybody wants you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭durrus

Why bother going with the written quote - if they're not the cheapest, they're not the cheapest. Buy it from wherever is. Why should they get a second chance of your business with all that crap they went on with anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

you know, I'd always prefer to shop local just like the rest of us but with the big R and the weaker sterling currency you could do a do a day trip in the car over to Wales, buy your Tv and still probably save money. Those models are around GBP735 according to a quick google. Just a thought and there may be flaws in my thinking in this case but I've bought some electrical hi fi equipment via the web from the UK in the last few weeks and saved around 30% compared to local prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I'm buying it from Samsyerman in Belfast. £699 plus £14.95 delivery to Waterford. Sorted.

Wonder if Harvey Norman would beat that price! lol..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

just wait for the liquidation sale @ Harvey Normans - won't be long!

It'll be a shame as people will loose their jobs.

I'm buying it from Samsyerman in Belfast. £699 plus £14.95 delivery to Waterford. Sorted.

Wonder if Harvey Norman would beat that price! lol..
    best prices by a long shot I reckon. I bought an LG tv in DID a few months back and can see the same model on samesyerman for 40% less. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Yep dead right. One of the sales lads in there I was talking to on Saturday told me to go away and try to get cheaper prices elsewhere. Get them down as a written quote. Then bring it to them and they'll do anything they can to stop you buying somewhere else.

It's finally a case of the buyer having the power because fewer people are spending so if you're one of the few, everybody wants you!

Why would you do this though? If DID have it cheaper, why would you not just give them the turn as a reward for having it cheaper rather than give HN the chance to match them when they couldn't be bothered before you get a quote?
    I don't get this logic. Reward the store that has it the cheapest, that's how I work.

• Advertisement

Biro wrote: »
    Why would you do this though? If DID have it cheaper, why would you not just give them the turn as a reward for having it cheaper rather than give HN the chance to match them when they couldn't be bothered before you get a quote?
    I don't get this logic. Reward the store that has it the cheapest, that's how I work.
    it is a true thing that you say

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Biro wrote: »

Sometimes the other store can beat the price and not just match it. I think B&Q match and give 10% of the difference back or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Sully wrote: »
    Sometimes the other store can beat the price and not just match it. I think B&Q match and give 10% of the difference back or something.

I was dealing with a chap one day (Friendly old coot who basically hasn't much todo) who said he went into harvey Norman one day and gave them a written quote for a Digital Camera and at the time they were running a will give you half the money back Campaign.

Anyway, The Camera in Sherwoods I believe was €99 on special and was €210ish in harvey norman but the manager refused to give him the money cause he went in their with "the intention to take money off us".

I'm personally not a fan of them in there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Company isnt doing that well in Ireland I dont think. Didnt they say in the news they regretted opening in Ireland?

I used to live in Singapore. Harvey Norman over there is very over-priced with sales staff who don't really know a lot and don't really care.

Seems they use that model worldwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭durrus

Sully wrote: »
    Company isnt doing that well in Ireland I dont think. Didnt they say in the news they regretted opening in Ireland?

If only it were as mild as that! In an interview, Gerry Harvey stated that their investment in Ireland was 'a catastrophe' and that anyone thinking of setting up in Ireland would be better off committing suicide. He then went on to make an allusion to the great famine. Not their best bit of PR ever.

The interview highlights can be found here:
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/harvey-regrets-his-norman-invasion-1554688.html

All of which would be merely unfortunate if they weren't such a cod of a business in the first place. Prices on items change on a weekly basis, mostly upwards, so that they can then put what appears to be an even bigger reduction sign on it - in fact you're paying only the same as the original price was anyway.

I wouldn't buy a sheet of paper out there if I could help it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

I think a big reason why the staff are so inflexible in there is because (so i heard,could be wrong)they're working mainly off commissions.Now if this is the case surely it would make more sense to be more flexible,get more sales even though the commission would be slightly lower, but the more sales the more commissions.Its a common flaw in sales and business in general which usually leads to the inevitable collapse of the business.However, I do believe that it was reported in the media around October that Harvey Norman regretted opening in Ireland and had plans to shut down business in Ireland, if this is true it could lead to Debenhams closing as well as I believe both companies are owned by the same people, which in turn fecks Waterford up even further on the job side of things.Wish I could say that the greedy bastards deserve it, but unfortunately it will be the staff that will suffer because of the companies greed in the end.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I was in Harvey Norman in Dublin before and will never buy from any of there shops again - terrible service - the guy working there was trying to convince me that 1080p equated to 1080x1080 in terms of a resolution pixel count. ****in idiot and a prick to boot.

Meatwad wrote: »
    ..it could lead to Debenhams closing as well as I believe both companies are owned by the same people..

Are you sure about this? I got the below from their respective Wikipedia articles (nice and reliable then!)..

Debenhams are directly operated by Debenhams plc under the company name Debenham Retail (Ireland) Ltd.

Harvey Norman
    is effectively a franchise and the main brand owned by Harvey Norman Holdings Ltd.

Can't see any connection between the two companies myself.. Unless I've missed something?

My wife fell in love with a 3 price leather suite in Harvey Normans a while back.
    It was costing 4.5k. I tried to haggle for a discount - the muppet sales guy would'nt budge. Delivery had a 3 or 4 month lead time - barrier after barrier...............

In the end, we bought elsewhere,a cheaper and a nicer suite i think.
    No wonder they are going under.

Are the land of leathers still open BTW?

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »
    I was in Harvey Norman in Dublin before and will never buy from any of there shops again - terrible service - the guy working there was trying to convince me that 1080p equated to 1080x1080 in terms of a resolution pixel count. ****in idiot and a prick to boot.

Sounds like something someone in PC world would suggest :P

Are the land of leathers still open BTW?

They've all gone in the UK, so I understand. Or going, anyway.

I didn't even know we had LOLs in Ireland.. :o

They've all gone in the UK, so I understand. Or going, anyway.

I didn't even know we had LOLs in Ireland.. :o

We do, the nearest is in Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Xbox game;
    lips Harveys €65.. two doors down in Smyths bought it for €50

creative mosaic 8 gig Harveys €95 three doors down in PC world Wait for it.......€60

Bought a cable once in Harveys it was reduced from €120 to €9.99 must of caught them on a bad day..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Xbox game;
    lips Harveys €65.. two doors down in Smyths bought it for €50

creative mosaic 8 gig Harveys €95 three doors down in PC world Wait for it.......€60

Bought a cable once in Harveys it was reduced from €120 to €9.99 must of caught them on a bad day..

Harvey Norman IS on the move then...all the way down to Kingsmeadow it would appear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

I work in harvey norman, i agree that alot of things are over priced, but at the same time like most shops were also cheaper on a lot of things. but the clever customers should haggle, i welcome it, it makes my job more enjoyable. Naturally I know how much D.I.D are charging, same with PowerCity, Dixons and the local expert group shop, I know where theyre cheaper and where were cheaper. 1 thing I've notice though is most of these shops lower their prices on display models, and when theyre is a few of a certain model, theyre more expensive (thats computers, cant comment on tv's etc) . Someone referred to get a written quote and ill match it, I wouldn insult a customer by saying that. I say gimme a quote and not only will i match it, ill give you a free 2 year extented warranty + an anti virus or €50 off. Also if you refer a friend and they buy something off me over the value of €200 ill give you €20 in store credit. now i dont agree with his statements with regards the famine, twas an ignorant comment if anything. Getting on to people being uneducated, me and another guy in my department both have degrees in I.T, I left an admin job to work here because I dont like sitting down all day in front of a computer. Now dont get me wrong ive gone into HN shops and tried to talk to some "sales people", they didnt have a clue what they were talking about but go into D.I.D and Powercity, its no different. Eg a guy in D.I.D tried to sell me a 1gb laptop for over €500 and he said it would do the same as an average 3gb machine because it had a 1.6 ghz processor, now someone who didnt know about comps would have prob believed this because he was quite persuasive but it just shows that ya get yer crooks evrywhere. Honesty is the key with me, Someone asks for value for money they get it + if they have a bit of personality i usually throw in a few extras.. nice to be nice i suppose ;)

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    I work in harvey norman, i agree that alot of things are over priced, but at the same time like most shops were also cheaper on a lot of things. but the clever customers should haggle, i welcome it, it makes my job more enjoyable. Naturally I know how much D.I.D are charging, same with PowerCity, Dixons and the local expert group shop, I know where theyre cheaper and where were cheaper. 1 thing I've notice though is most of these shops lower their prices on display models, and when theyre is a few of a certain model, theyre more expensive (thats computers, cant comment on tv's etc) . Someone referred to get a written quote and ill match it, I wouldn insult a customer by saying that. I say gimme a quote and not only will i match it, ill give you a free 2 year extented warranty + an anti virus or €50 off. Also if you refer a friend and they buy something off me over the value of €200 ill give you €20 in store credit. now i dont agree with his statements with regards the famine, twas an ignorant comment if anything. Getting on to people being uneducated, me and another guy in my department both have degrees in I.T, I left an admin job to work here because I dont like sitting down all day in front of a computer. Now dont get me wrong ive gone into HN shops and tried to talk to some "sales people", they didnt have a clue what they were talking about but go into D.I.D and Powercity, its no different. Eg a guy in D.I.D tried to sell me a 1gb laptop for over €500 and he said it would do the same as an average 3gb machine because it had a 1.6 ghz processor, now someone who didnt know about comps would have prob believed this because he was quite persuasive but it just shows that ya get yer crooks evrywhere. Honesty is the key with me, Someone asks for value for money they get it + if they have a bit of personality i usually throw in a few extras.. nice to be nice i suppose ;)

Can I ask Please SSmith?
    The new "haggle" ads on the telly - what freedom do you people have to haggle - have you strict guidelines on how much discount you can give?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Great - how much please?

So off I go, expecting a bargain.... €1250!!

Meh. Waste of bloody time. She could have said.

What are you doing buying a Sony? Go to Pixmania.ie and get a Toshiba or Samsung for far cheaper and in some cases better quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

ssmith6287 wrote: »

I have nothing against staff or sales people who work in these places. It's the managers that have the final say on prices. But, I'll tell you from my experience from buying a fridge there about 6 months ago. I had searched all over the city for one and as it turned out that Harvey Norman was slightly cheaper with the one I was looking for.

I went into haggle the price and I got it down to a figure of 303.12 or something like that after calculations were done. I haggled more to round it down to the 300 mark. The sales person had to go to the manager twice to see if this was possible!! Twice!! He said no. So, I said look it's €3.12. Surely you can give it to me at 300 even?? Nope. The manager made some excuse about balancing books and price margins. I couldn't believe it. This is NOT, good business. I haggled to get €20 of the original price and they couldn't sacrifice another €3.12!!!

In the end, I told them this was their loss, walked out and bought my fridge elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

shapez wrote: »
    I have nothing against staff or sales people who work in these places. It's the managers that have the final say on prices. But, I'll tell you from my experience from buying a fridge there about 6 months ago. I had searched all over the city for one and as it turned out that Harvey Norman was slightly cheaper with the one I was looking for.

I went into haggle the price and I got it down to a figure of 303.12 or something like that after calculations were done. I haggled more to round it down to the 300 mark. The sales person had to go to the manager twice to see if this was possible!! Twice!! He said no. So, I said look it's €3.12. Surely you can give it to me at 300 even?? Nope. The manager made some excuse about balancing books and price margins. I couldn't believe it. This is NOT, good business. I haggled to get €20 of the original price and they couldn't sacrifice another €3.12!!!

In the end, I told them this was their loss, walked out and bought my fridge elsewhere.

So, you spent a lot of time and effort haggling with them, had major success, pushed it a little more and got refused, only to walk away from a practically-done deal, wasted another few hours in other shops, wasted about a fiver or more in petrol and got home a few hours later than you had planned, and feeling bad enough about it to waste more time on this thread?

Serves you right for haggling over €3.12...this country needs more like you :D

Imagine how happy you (and us in hindsight) would've been if you'd just paid that small amount :p

Advertisement