Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The legend about Devils Bit and Rock of Cashel!!??

Options
  • 19-01-2009 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Somebody told me when I was a young whipper snapper that Fionn Macuaill fought the devil or some sort of monster on top of Devils Bit when it was just a regular mountain. The monster bit a large chunk out of the mountain (leaving the gouge we see today) and threw the rock in the direction of Cashel. It eventually landed IN Cashel and crushed somebodys castle. Fionn felt fairly guilty about this so decided to rebuild the castle/monastery on the huge rock that destroyed the original castle. The castle he rebuilt is now the "Rock of Cashel" everybody knows today.

Is that true? Or was somebody making up shyte?!! It was so long ago I couldn't even tell you if it was a dream or not. I was about 6 I'd say.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Overblood wrote: »
    Is that true?

Yes, it was true.

Also, Finn McCool built the Giants Causeway to fight a fellow giant in Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

OK haha sorry I didn't really mean "was that true?" I meant is that actual folklore or did I make it up in my head.

So is that actual folklore or did I make it up in me ceann?

It's folklore. I was told the same thing and I remember reading about it in a French tourist guide to Munster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

I just asked a cousin about it, he has a slightly different story. Instead of the devil throwing the rock at cashel after he bit it off the mountain, he went to cashel and shat the rock out!!! Imagine that in a tour guide.:eek:

It would explain the smell from Cashel at least :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Overblood wrote: »
    I just asked a cousin about it, he has a slightly different story. Instead of the devil throwing the rock at cashel after he bit it off the mountain, he went to cashel and shat the rock out!!! Imagine that in a tour guide.:eek:
    LOL..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭MonsterMob

Did he not spit it hence the name the Devils Bit and the Devils Spit(Rock of Cashel)?? or is that somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

It is just a legend of course as the Rock is limestone and the Devil's bit is sandstone!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jagged

It is just a legend of course as the Rock is limestone and the Devil's bit is sandstone!

Thats why your called Brightspark:rolleyes:

Advertisement