Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pet hedgehogs

Options
  • 19-01-2009 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

hi just wondering if anyone knows any petshops that sell hedgehogs... i'v only ever seen them for sale in Pet Stop in Blanchardstown but I live in limerick :( i'v been in every petshop in limerick that i know of but no hedgehogs...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

I suspect you might be better off trying to find a breeder. They're quite timid animals and it'd be best to get one that you know has been hand reared.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cora09

Weidii wrote: »
    I suspect you might be better off trying to find a breeder. They're quite timid animals and it'd be best to get one that you know has been hand reared.
    ya i'v been tryin to find those too... i'v done loads of homework on lookin after them and what to look out for as regards well being & signs of illness but nothing has come up for breeders... its really confusin :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

protected species, I think .

the european wild ones are but u can get african pygmy hedgies from breeders and sum petshops that specialize in exotic pets & that... its just finding them... they're a fairly popular pet in the US and in the UK an they're startin off here 2 & seeing as its early days here as regards their popularity is probably why i'm finding it hard to find one :o

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Wild ones yes, captive bred domesticated ones arent protected species

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sadhbhc15

often breeders have them advertised on www.donedeal.ie

sadhbhc15 wrote: »

You need to be very carefull with buying hedgehogs.They are prone to genetic diseases, especially Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome WHS. It is a very disabling illness that is a thought to be genetic. Cases of this illness have been found in Ireland. You need to be carefull and make sure that you are buying from a reputable breeder. Preferably one registered with the International Hedgehog Registry

sadhbhc15 wrote: »
    tanx for the link... they're pricey buggars :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Genuine question.

What's the attraction in having a hedgehog as a pet?

They're cute little buggers, I know, but what makes them pet material?

00112984 wrote: »
    Genuine question.

What's the attraction in having a hedgehog as a pet?

They're cute little buggers, I know, but what makes them pet material?

No idea. Not my cup of tea either. Then again I keep Tarantulas so cant talk really. Each to their own I guess. People look for different things in their pets I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

00112984 wrote: »
    what makes them pet material?

Because they can be I suppose. Some people just like hedgehogs I guess. Each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

Duzzie wrote: »
    I keep Tarantulas

:eek:

Duzzie wrote: »
    You need to be very carefull with buying hedgehogs.They are prone to genetic diseases, especially Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome WHS. It is a very disabling illness that is a thought to be genetic. Cases of this illness have been found in Ireland. You need to be carefull and make sure that you are buying from a reputable breeder. Preferably one registered with the International Hedgehog Registry
    ya i kno it causes them to slowy bcome paralyzed.. probably from inbreeding... not exactly sure on wat the cause is :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I saw a cage of them in Wackers on the Longmileroad a few weeks back, not sure if they were for sale or what but they definitely HAD hedgehogs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭babychuckles

maxi zoo have a website at www.maxizoo.ie and have a care section/pet pointers section and as previously noted, hedgehogs are a protected species and cannot be taken from the wild unless they are sick or injured. They do give tips and advice about what to do if one finds a sick hedgehog but i see they forgot to mention that hedgehogs have fleas. And fleas are what i remember most of all the wild hedgehogs that i have seen about in the garden. Cannot say if "bred to sell" hedgehogs have fleas but its a question to ask before buying one.

maxi zoo have a website at www.maxizoo.ie and have a care section/pet pointers section and as previously noted, hedgehogs are a protected species and cannot be taken from the wild unless they are sick or injured. They do give tips and advice about what to do if one finds a sick hedgehog but i see they forgot to mention that hedgehogs have fleas. And fleas are what i remember most of all the wild hedgehogs that i have seen about in the garden. Cannot say if "bred to sell" hedgehogs have fleas but its a question to ask before buying one.
    oh i kno ya but there are captive bred breeds such as african pygmies that u can get in petshops or from breeders... ya the captive bred ones can get fleas 2 maybe catchin em off the owners pet dog or cat... thanx for the advice :p

Kablamo! wrote: »
    I saw a cage of them in Wackers on the Longmileroad a few weeks back, not sure if they were for sale or what but they definitely HAD hedgehogs :)
    ya a girl the works in a petmania store over the road from me was sayin that 2 well she said that they mite sell hedgies.. tanx for the reply ;)

Advertisement